GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,415 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: London or Saint Petersburg? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
I have read that these two games have many things in common, but I dont know anybody who has played both so I was wondering if you could tell us about the differences, similarities and the pros/cons of each one of them. For us it is very important that the game plays well with 2P (we read about the ben-luca variant for london) since it's always only my GF and I playing. To give some more clues about ourselves, we prefer not very long games (45/90 minutes), we appreciate nice designs and we very much enjoy 'combos mechanics'. Some examples we really like are Castles of Burgundy, Dominion, A Few Acres of Snow or Samurai. So, London or Saint Petersburg? ...or something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
These are both among my wife's favorite games. I enjoy them, too, but not quite as much as she does. Saint Petersburg involves buying different types of cards. Some generate money, some generate victory points, some generate both. You get points during the game and also at game end.

In London, you also buy various types of cards. In addition, you can build on the board to control parts of the city and you need to minimize your poverty level (otherwise, you could lose a lot of points at the end of the game).

I prefer London because there is a little more going on than in Saint Petersburg. Also, it seems to me that if you make a couple of early bonehead decisions in Saint Petersburg, you could easily fall behind and find it very difficult to catch up. I think you can mess up in London and still keep the game close and maybe even win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.