6 Posts

Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2-Player rules for expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
scott barbary
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
When I bought Catan rom gamelore years ago they helped me find 2-player versions of the rules on the net.

Now I have bought the expansion packs both seafares and kinights. However I never thought about weather they could actualy be played 2-player.

Can anyone point me towards 2-player rules for the expansion packs?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Our favorite is '2-Player Settlers'.

http://www.geocities.com/dave65tdh/settlers.html

Throw in all the hexes from all the games, and all of the number chits as well. After playing this a bunch we removed some of the deserts, and also removed some of the less-likely number chits. Next time we might play the deserts act like volcanoes from Mexopotamia (place it anywhere else you like then draw another tile). Also, when we draw a port, we collect a resource card of the port's type (but draw no card when a 3:1 port is drawn). We've probably got a few other notes on this but it plays well as written.

This expansion doesn't include Cities and Knights, only Settlers and Seafarers. The Cities and Knights forum has some discussion on 2 player.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/926

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

I understand that the robber does not emerge until you draw your first desert but do you still have a 7 card limit per player?

Do you allow 6's and 8's to be next to each other?

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Hi Bob,

do you still have a 7 card limit per player?

Yes.

Do you allow 6's and 8's to be next to each other?

We don't normally worry about it. There is enough going on that things tend to balance out over time. Often enough the player who appears can't win, does win. But yes, sometimes we play that the numbers need to be spread more evenly (no 6s next to 8s, for example). We've probably done that about 1 out of 5 games, depending on the annoyance from the prior experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playin' this 2 player Variant for years now and after playin' it this long I'd like to share it.

SET-UP

Using the frame pieces from Seafares you will need:

AB, BC, DE, EF, FG & HA [CD, GH and XXs are NOT used]

The terrain tiles you will need are:

5 Oceans
2 Farmland
2 Pastures
2 Forests
1 Mountain
1 Hill
1 Goal Field

For Number Chips you'll need all and only the chips that have letters on them from the orginal. That means ONE 2 & 12 and TWO 3,4,5,6,8,9,10 & 11.

For Harbors you will need only the FIVE special 2:1 harbors and ONE 3:1 generic harbor. (6 Harbors Total)

Board SET-UP

Connect the Frame in the following order

AB > BC > DE > EF > FG > GA

This will create a board 5 Hexs wide and 3 Hexs tall

Once created... place the Gold Mine Terrain tile in the AA corner of the map. Place 2 Ocean hexes in the adjacent areas next to the Gold Mine. This will make the Gold Mine tile an island.

The rest of the unplaced tiles are placed randomly to fill the remaining of the map.

Now randomly place the 6 harbor pieces on the map. No harbors go on the Gold Mine island. (Unless you're using the optional rule below.)Recommended that you place all 6 face down first then flip them all over afterwards.

Number chips in this variants are the biggest change because each terrain tile will receive 2 Number chips. To place the number chips, do the following:

1) Place the SOLO 2 and 12 on the Gold Mine Island.

2) Split the remaining number chips from their pair. Creating 2 piles of tiles each with the chips 3,4,5,6,8,9,10 & 11. Take one pile and place all the tiles face down and mix them up. Then place one tile on each of the terrains faced down to start. Once all are placed, flip them over to reveal them.

3) If the 6 and 8 are on adjacent tiles, swop the 6 and 3. If they are still adjacent, swop the 8 and 11. If they are still adjacent, swop the 6 with the 4. Continue the swopping between the 8 and 10, 6 and 5 and the 8 with 9 if needed until the 6 and 8 are not on adjacent hexes.

4) After each terrain has their number chip, place the second chip on each terrain. The second chip will be the "opposite" of the chip that is currently on the tile. That means the 3 gets 11, 4 gets 10, 5 gets 9 and the 6 gets 8.

The board is now complete and is ready for play.

GAME PLAY

The game is played the same way as the orignal except for two rules for clarification:

:: The Robber ::

When you move the robber (like on a roll of a "7") you place the robber on ONE of the two Number Chips on the terrain. The robber denies only from that number... not the entire terrain.
This does mean that the robber can remain on the same terrain only switch numbers on a rolled 7.

Example: The robber is placed on the 6 of a 6/8 tile. The next round an 8 is rolled. The robber does NOT deny anyone of resources because he is on the 6... not the 8. The next round a 7 is rolled and the robber is moved from the 6 to the 8 of the same 6/8 terrain. The next 8 rolled would now deny resources at this terrain.

:: Inventor Card ::

This card states "You may switch two number tokens of your choice any place on the game board." (excluding 2,12,6 & 8)

When this swop is made... ONLY those 2 tokens are moved.. NOT its pair. Thus it is possible to have a terrain without "opposite" numbers. It is also possible to have a terrain with the SAME numbers. In that case, if that number is rolled, you receive double the resources (unless a robber denies it from one.)

Example: After playing an inventor card, a Forest has Two "5" tokens on it. The Blue player has a settlement and a City on this Terrain. On a roll of a 5, the Blue player will receive 4 Wood and 2 Paper (or 6 Wood if Cities and Knights is not being played.)

Game ends at 12 victory points.

::Optional Addition Set-Up Rule::

Connect the 3:1 Generic Harbor to the Gold Mine. The Five(5) 2:1 Special Harbors go randomly on the main land. This will increase the "value" of the island and encourage competition to it.

Hopefully you guys experience the same joy in this version of 2 player game that I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott barbary
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks this was excellent help and advice. With your help we have already had many great nights of seafares game play.

So much so that we haven't even opened the box for Knights yet.

We play the shores III varient in the book and then we have upped the victory points to 18 to make for real long games with a solid outright winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.