GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,268 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Aladdin's Dragons» Forums » Rules

Subject: Magic question from a muggle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Eberle
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some questions about the magic effects (Somehow I glossed over the fact that you get an Aladdin's Lamp just for showing up; these don't get shuffled into the artifact stacks)

In order to play a spell card, do you have to tender a Lamp artifact? Does that lamp allow you play spells for that round (and how long is a round anyway), or do you have to turn in one lamp per spell card (which you can only do if you've stopped at the Djinn's House anyway)

The spells we had weren't all that exciting and the artifacts were used as often as they weren't; it seems like you could throw away the spell cards and Magician's Tent and just play with the artifacts as they are. What advice would you give me and my play group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player begins the game with one Aladdin's Lamp. If playing with less than 5, extra Aladdin's Lamp artifacts are not used during the game. So it is impossible for any player to have more than one Aladdin's Lamp.

A player who has activated an Aladdin's Lamp may play as many spell cards as he wishes during that round.
A round ends after the last palace room is resolved.

I would say that a well placed artifact or spell card can make the difference in whether or not a player wins a particular space.

My advice is to play the variant with the spell cards face up. That way, at the beginning of each round, when 2 cards are placed at Aladdin's Tent, everyone can read, understand, and ask what they do. Some experienced players always use this variant.

Also, be very clear that if a player does not have a token at the Palace Guard (or activate a Key artifact), then he may not bribe the guard and all his tokens in the palace rooms are removed. I usually repeat this, because new players tend to assume that they can just pay a bribe of the value of the guard, as if they had a Zero token there.

Edit: Clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Eberle
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which means you're only going to have one chance to play spells during the game. (and yes, we did that wrong, players who won the privilege of Aladdin's Tent drew their spells face down which led to lots of pained looks and buyers remorse.)

Just once I'd like to play the game properly; I don't know if the misunderstandings are because the rulebook is a confusing mess or I'm missing important stuff that would make sense if interpreted properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, at the end of the round, each player's activated artifact (or both of them if they used the Djinn's power to activate a 2nd artifact), goes back behind their screen so it can be used in a future round.

But when a spell card is played, it is only used once and is discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Eberle
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did not know that; that's very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.