GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,128 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: BCW 5000 monster box - real capacity with sleeves? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Coli c/o Eastbiz Corp.
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I collect everything for this wonderful game, but now I am running out of space :-(
My plan is to find a solution to:

- store all the cards, both Encounter and player cards, sleeved with MayDay Premium Sleeves and divided with the wonderful GeckoTH dividers
- store all the booklet that come with every AP and - maybe - also the counters (fitting current ziplocks inside the storage solution for the cards)

I stumbled upon these BCW 5000 monster boxes:

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/trading-card/trading-card-box...

and I realized that lots of people already use it.

Producer declares

Holds 5000 standard sized trading cards
Holds 7000 collectible gaming cards

If I am not wrong, ALL of the content (up to the full future RingMaker cycle when it is released) should be 4139 cards + the nightmare decks cards that I didnt count yet.

I'd like to ask some questions to those who already use/know these boxes!

1) Are they any good? I hear that in each row there is room left on the side once you put the cards: could I be able to store on the side the AP booklets (not fully disclosed obviously) and the ziplock bags with the tokens? And do the Gecko vertical dividers fit in this box, allowing it to normally close?
2) I dont know what they mean when they say "collectible cards", do you? Whats the difference with trading cards?
3) Most important: what is (approximately obviously) the REAL capacity if the cards you want to store are sleeved? I use MayDay Premium 125% thicker: http://www.amazon.com/Mayday-Games-MDG-7077-Premium-Sleeves/...

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Calin
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of a downside that it's cardboard. The box get's kind of heavy andit might not be the best choice. There are fewer choices in UK for this kind of stuff, but I found the wine boxes for 3 bottles very nice. They fit around 2000-2500 standard mayday sleeved cards, I have every ap, deluxe and nightmare and still have space for lets say another year of releases ( 2 boxes, just one coreset and one ap of each...got some extra cards from the core set separately). I've done some customisation on the boxes, which I really enjoyed. In the end it depends what you really want out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recommend those for constant access storage. They're great for CCGs where you have 10,000 cards above and beyond your playset that you don't want to just junk, but for day to day access they're a pain. The cards tend to distort out the bottom when moving the boxes around. It's not the end of the world, but it is inconvenient if you're trying to use them for a game you regularly play.

EDIT: Looking at their site, the shoe and (probably the) super shoe boxes will work a lot better for your purposes, and are fine for just transporting cards around on a regular basis. The distortion I'm talking about has only ever been an issue (for me) with the 5k boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I use this exact box and it has worked out well for me. I too got tired constantly upgrading boxes, and just bought one of these to tide me over for a long time. I have everything that has been released stored in there except for the Gencon and Nightmare stuff. I only own one Core set.

1) I sleeve my cards with the FFG sleeves which are wider, and there is a very small space left in the gap. I have all my tokens and threat trackers and booklets stored in part of a row. There is plenty of room to not need to tuck things beside the cards.

2) No idea about collectible cards

3) I use different sleeves, but right now I have about 1.5 empty rows left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know how you plan on using/transporting but I'd be super cautious toting 4,100+ cards in one of these. They are more for sitting than moving storage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use this box and I have every expansion, with the exception of only having the first 3 of the Nightmare mode decks. I've still got about a row-and-a-half still available for cards; I'm currently using the open row for counters/scenario pamphlets/threat counters/etc, and I'm using the same sleeves as you. While this box is great at storing everything that LotR:TCG has out thus far, I'd echo it's better as storage as opposed to portability. I use a smaller 2-row box (http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/trading-card/trading-card-box...) made by the same company for travel/transporting. I use 1 row for our deck cards and scenario cards/encounter cards for the scenarios that we'll be playing; we took it to the beach recently with our decks and all of the Khazad-dum/Dwarrowdelf cards and it traveled much better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a 3200 box, so I can't tell you how a 5000 will work for everything, but I can give you some frame of reference.

I have all my encounter (and only encounter) cards sleeved, and am able to fit them all in the 3200 box easily. This includes all nightmare cards to date, and I am only now starting to work my way into the 4th (final for this box) row. (the 5000 card box has 5 rows)

If you plan to put player cards in the same box, I'm sure the 5000 will work well. However, carrying a large box around all the time is no fun. (If you're only playing in relatively the same place as you're storing it all, it's a non-issue)

Otherwise, I would recommend keeping your player cards separate, since you're likely to only use them for deckbuilding purposes. In addition, I would say to get and use a smaller 800 card box for instances where you plan to take the game with you to play (unless you want the options for deckbuilding/playing any scenarios). The smaller boxes work well when you are slowly working through a cycle and generally only play a scenario or two (without deckbuilding inbetween)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
This box is not the easiest thing to carry, but I was pretty regularly taking it to and from my SO's house for a couple months and it has held together with no damage beyond some scuffing. That has been my personal experience YMMV.

I would not consider a collection of +4000 cards to be particularly well suited to travel under any circumstances though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is a bit late, but I've been using the 400s (I think) for the encounters (Each holds the Core or DE Encounter sets and corresponding 6AP cycle) and Core set box for my player cards (I'll figure out something else for the latter eventually). I figure if I'm travelling with the game I'll probably just be playing one cycle at the time anyway (and if not, I can deal), and I can use 1-2 deckboxes for the rest (Player deck w/sideboard, quest sheets, counters, etc.).

This has worked fine for me, I sleeve everything w/FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.