GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » BoardGameGeek Community

Subject: Your best meetup experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauricio Zebel
Mexico
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi, I decided to start a meetup at my city in order to teach this great hobby that we have, one little effort to make our games more known and increase our players base.

Besides the usual weekly gatherings to play board games, have you guys ever attended to an special event or have you seen some ideas that you liked very much and could share with me at a meetup?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the gaming groups I attend are actually through Meetups. All have been wonderful experiences, but here are some things that I have appreciated from the meetup host:

d10-1Set a realistic cap, given how much space is available. One group I attend is in a small office. Using literally every chair and every table/desk, there's just enough room for four four-player games. So the attendance is capped at 16 to avoid anyone showing up and not having room to play.

d10-2Give clear directions for first time attendees. It can be daunting to meet up with a group of strangers for the first time, so I always like it when a group gives really clear instructions, for example, how to find the location, what parking is like, is there a gate code to get in the building, do you need to be buzzed in, do people generally bring food, do people bring money to order food, etc? It's always more comfortable when you know exactly what to expect.

d10-3Choosing a game in advance. One group I play with does this and I really enjoy it. The meetup organizer will choose one game in advance to "showcase." That will always be the first game of the night, with shorter/lighter stuff to follow. Knowing what's going to be played gives everyone a chance to read ruled, watch run throughs, etc. in advance if they choose, so that they can show up prepared to play even if it's their first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Zebel
Mexico
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
I see, I will make sure everyone is clear that the restaurant we are meeting up does not require anyone to buy anything.

If more than 6 people meet up how does the host goose only one game before the meeting??

Btw thank you for your comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That meetup tends to be a smaller one, so that hasn't been an issue. Sometimes he'll suggest two options depending on player count (for example "we'll be playing Battlestar Galactica if five or more show up, otherwise we'll play Suburbia followed by lighter games")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.