Disclaimer: The main goal of “Down to the Basics Reviews” is to show what the game is about, getting down to the basics, the bare minimum necessary to captivated the reader.
So, about Sentinels of Multiverse:
1) What it is?
A cooperative game where a team of super heroes fight against uber villains.
2) How do you play?
Draw and play cards to defeat a villain. Each hero, villain and ambient has its own deck of unique and thematic cards. Everyone has a set of features and the deck of cards represents them pretty well.
3) What are the decisions that you make?
You have to work as group and decide what to do based on the current villain and ambient cards in play and what combos you can activate. You will have to decide:
- What card you will play
- What power you will activate
- Or ignore all above and draw two cards
4) What is good about it?
- The theme is really amazing and goes well with the mechanics of the game.
- The replay value is huge, even considering only the base game. You can choose between 4 villains, 10 heroes and 4 ambient decks.
- The art style is beautiful.
- Each hero/villain/ambient is well thought and have its own unique features.
- The game has depth, good decisions and play relatively fast.
5) What is not so good about it?
You have to keep track of a lot of things: damage bonuses, damage type, defense bonuses and others. This may be a bit overwhelming even if you are familiar with the game. Also, there may be (a few) times when your cards won’t do you any good at all.
6) What it feels when you play it?
You feel like you are part of a super hero comic book. The game has it all: compelling art, greatness, bad and good moments, funny one liners and a lot of punches, kicks, super powers and injuries. All packed in a new and original universe to be discovered and appreciated.