Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: wife [+] cards [+] recommendations [+] [View All]
Kevin Holmes
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
So I've played Lost Cities, Babel, Blue Moon, Bohnanza and Odins Ravens with a colleague. Given the wife doesn't like gaming unless it's Hungry Hippos or Yahtzee what do I buy next that is 2 player and is basically card based?

Kevin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it must be card based?

And do you want games that work for both your wife and your colleagues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two two-player games that have smitten me recently are Jambo and Gene Pool.

Edited to add that To Court the King is also pretty good with two, and since there are dice, maybe your wife might be curious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Given that your wife likes Yahtzee, have you considered a two player dice game?

A few to look at are:

Can't Stop (might be too mathy)
Um Krone & Kragen
Pickomino

Knights?/Easy Come Easy Go?/etc. might work, but I have not played these.

Lighter cardgames like Guillotine, Circus Flohcati, Fairy Tale might work.

What standard card games does she like? That should lead you to related

Does she like any popular movies? If so, perhaps a themed game would work.

Edited to suggest that you and your friend try the LotR: Confrontation (need not be Deluxe version), Roma, or Kupferkessel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caesar & Cleopatra is pretty fun and strategic. Heave Ho is extremely fun and fast playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Search geeklists for "2 player" and "2-player". That will give you some fourty geeklists to check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pecking Order?
Phoenix?

Memoir '44? Paths of Glory?

Hahahahah, I crack myself up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kholmes1 wrote:
So I've played Lost Cities, Babel, Blue Moon, Bohnanza and Odins Ravens with a colleague. Given the wife doesn't like gaming unless it's Hungry Hippos or Yahtzee what do I buy next that is 2 player and is basically card based?

Kevin.

Two player card-based games that I'd recommend:

1) Scarab Lords/Minotaur lords. CCG-like game in which you're trying to control 2 of the 3 power bases (Military, Religious and Economic) in both of the regions in the country. To me, the game is like a card version of Samurai, where you're trying to dominate the various classes in the country by playing the appropriate influences.

2) Rosenkonig. Play cards to move the crown token around the map and place your control token at the spot where it lands. There are a limited number of "hero" cards which allow you turn an opponent's token into one of yours. You get points for the square of the number of tokens adjacent (e.g., 5 adjacent tokens score you 25 point). My recommendation is to play with the cards hidden rather than revealed.

3) Dracula. One player plays Van Helsing and the other Dracula. Have a set of cards with victims/coffins and allies and another set of cards which must be played each time a character moves. Dracula is trying to locate Van Helsings victims at the same time that Van Helsing is trying to locate Dracula's coffin stash. Really cool two player game.

4) Lord of the Rings the Confrontation. Interesting middle earth game which plays a bit like Stratego. Cards have to be played to resolve combat.

5: Hera and Zeus. Essentially a Stratego game with cards. Each player is trying to locate a goal card in each other players hand or table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hageman
United States
Hugo
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Two Words
SAN JUAN

My wife who only enjoys playing a few games likes this one. Plus it plays 2-4 players very well. Its high ranking is well earned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jared. San Juan is definitely the game you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to try Battle Line. My wife and my favorite 2-player card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm always on the lookout for a decent 2-player. Right now I'm seriously considering Hey! That's My Fish!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8203

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jody wrote:
I'm always on the lookout for a decent 2-player. Right now I'm seriously considering Hey! That's My Fish!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8203

I wouldn't even hesitate. Scales beautifully from 2 to 4 players, and you can even get snazzy with the way you start the tiles if you get bored with the standard configuration. Infinitely replayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta go with Battle Line

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jody wrote:
Right now I'm seriously considering Hey! That's My Fish!

I've been looking at that one for a while now. In fact, every time I go into one of my FLGSes I pick it up and carry it around intending to buy it, but chicken out at the last minute. Maybe I'll go grab it tonight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
IcemanCU wrote:
jody wrote:
Right now I'm seriously considering Hey! That's My Fish!

I've been looking at that one for a while now. In fact, every time I go into one of my FLGSes I pick it up and carry it around intending to buy it, but chicken out at the last minute. Maybe I'll go grab it tonight

I brought Hey! That's My Fish! home from GenCon Indy as a present for my 6 year old daughter. She loves it, and, it turns out, is pretty good at it too. The neat thing is that there are sufficient tactical choices to keep the adult players happy too. It was a hit at last Tuesday's game night.

thumbsup Highly Recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Huddleston
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line, Jambo, Hey that's my fish, San Juan, Netrunner starter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Holmes
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
Kevin, are we misunderstanding? Are you looking for a two-player to play with your wife, or your colleague?

I apologise for the lack of reply, I've been on vacation. My Wife doesn't like anything without luck involved as she always complains about "strategy" games although as with most men on this board and the game "Lost Cities" I'm generally coming in a close second to her.

My games nights are rather short of players, me and a colleague at work. So 2 player games work best, and as I have to commute to London and we meet up after work I need something that is small enough to fit into a shoulder bag. So Things with large boards such as Settlers, Tigris and LOTR are out. We are currently working our way through the Kosmos 2 player set (fits in bag, little or no board required).

So to cut this ramble short, I'd like recommendations for both if possible. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.