Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes – Vietnam» Forums » General

Subject: Potential ZunTzu module rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Delahunty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had grabbed ZunTzu and a bunch of support files in a former life (two jobs ago -- before I entered and left the gaming part of programming), and had meant to learn the system and build modules for it. While the developer has been quiet lately, I greatly prefer its presentation to that of Vassal.

I recently got around to that project, after my purchase LnL:FH (2nd Edition) and the Anzac Attack expansion (also 2nd Edition).

I've been working on this module, trying to do the property justice. My hope is to have LnL Publishing offer it up when I'm done. I am hopeful this can happen, since they offer a Vassal module for it, and (so far) most of the graphic material is actually the same between them (I'm not offering anything of better resolution than that, for instance).

Here is a preview of the opening for the Unexpected Visitors scenario:

9 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Delahunty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
comments, construction criticism, wish lists welcome.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
Looks really nice. I think that is the first edition map tho. The new maps have no white borders.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Delahunty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
Looks really nice. I think that is the first edition map tho. The new maps have no white borders.



Yes, my personal hard-copy is 2nd edition [side note: I understand how people don't like the "halos," though they never bothered me personally that much until they were pointed out, and even then the strength of dislike seems super high].

I used (mostly*) the assets that came in the vassal module so as to try to avoid any ire from the rights holder (if it's in the wild with vassal, then it should be easier to OK for release). Another part of my thinking was that, as a freebie "loss leader," the module would allow the would-be purchaser to experience the game play and learn the rules, and then make a purchase decision that would result in a visual upgrade (so there's that extra reason to "go cardboard").

However, I think there is strong general agreement that the new artwork is absolutely gorgeous and an improvement (I think the original raised the bar in its time as well). As counterpoint to the "buyer's upgrade" theory, I suppose there is a valid counter-argument that the already-purchased player is getting a downgrade through no fault of this own.

Thanks for the food for thought.

----

* mostly, as in I had to scan the turn track markers to make turn tracks, since those pieces didn't exist in the vassal module. I'm hoping that taking limited items off the scenario cards (which are not something I intend to include in the module) will be agreeable in the long run.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
dulcaoin wrote:
hipshot wrote:
Looks really nice. I think that is the first edition map tho. The new maps have no white borders.



Yes, my personal hard-copy is 2nd edition [side note: I understand how people don't like the "halos," though they never bothered me personally that much until they were pointed out, and even then the strength of dislike seems super high].

I used (mostly*) the assets that came in the vassal module so as to try to avoid any ire from the rights holder (if it's in the wild with vassal, then it should be easier to OK for release). Another part of my thinking was that, as a freebie "loss leader," the module would allow the would-be purchaser to experience the game play and learn the rules, and then make a purchase decision that would result in a visual upgrade (so there's that extra reason to "go cardboard").

However, I think there is strong general agreement that the new artwork is absolutely gorgeous and an improvement (I think the original raised the bar in its time as well). As counterpoint to the "buyer's upgrade" theory, I suppose there is a valid counter-argument that the already-purchased player is getting a downgrade through no fault of this own.

Thanks for the food for thought.

----

* mostly, as in I had to scan the turn track markers to make turn tracks, since those pieces didn't exist in the vassal module. I'm hoping that taking limited items off the scenario cards (which are not something I intend to include in the module) will be agreeable in the long run.

If you drop an email to David Heath he will gladly give you A. Permission and B. Content to use. If you have troubles touch base with Vance Strickland who has been making some of the VASSAL modules.

I am betting LNLP will love it.

Kevin
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Delahunty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin --

Do you have any other suggestions?

All ZunTzu gameboxes have tabs on them for the countersheets, and normal approach is for the user to move counters from those tabs to a map for a scenario.

When I play (physically), I'm more of a counter tray player, I like to have the counters divided by faction and whatnot. So I've gone to the trouble of laying out the counters for the 5 factions (plus conditions and other) in the game. This has the advantage of separating counters into categories, but the standard ZunTzu "Return counters to countersheet" command will (of course) put them back in the countersheets, rather than where they started.

I can imagine this behavior, not to mention my chosen divisions (Conditions, Features, U.S. Army, U.S. Marines, ARVN, NVA, Viet Cong, (CS1), (CS2), Cards) might be worth some review and discussion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
dulcaoin wrote:
Kevin --

Do you have any other suggestions?

All ZunTzu gameboxes have tabs on them for the countersheets, and normal approach is for the user to move counters from those tabs to a map for a scenario.

When I play (physically), I'm more of a counter tray player, I like to have the counters divided by faction and whatnot. So I've gone to the trouble of laying out the counters for the 5 factions (plus conditions and other) in the game. This has the advantage of separating counters into categories, but the standard ZunTzu "Return counters to countersheet" command will (of course) put them back in the countersheets, rather than where they started.

I can imagine this behavior, not to mention my chosen divisions (Conditions, Features, U.S. Army, U.S. Marines, ARVN, NVA, Viet Cong, (CS1), (CS2), Cards) might be worth some review and discussion.

Because of how platoons are constituted that break down will be very valuable. Much better than the countersheet approach.

Makes for ease of setup!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Delahunty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you drop an email to David Heath he will gladly give you A. Permission and B. Content to use. If you have troubles touch base with Vance Strickland who has been making some of the VASSAL modules.

I am betting LNLP will love it.

Kevin


I am in contact with Lock 'n Load Publishing, and this project is proceeding apace. All assets will be from the 2nd Edition (with counter typos intact, alas ).

They have been extremely supportive, and I have been very impressed. Not only do they understand the value of end-user support (such as this module, and the vassal modules they have long provided via their web site), but I am very optimistic about their future direction.

I will provide updates on this front the moment they are available.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jad Walters
msg tools
mb
Quote:
but I am very optimistic about their future direction.


I hope so. I've been hearing different iterations of this since Walker sold the company in 2013. With the exception of the games they released that summer, I see little but promises.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Delahunty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
armorbuff wrote:
Quote:
but I am very optimistic about their future direction.


I hope so. I've been hearing different iterations of this since Walker sold the company in 2013. With the exception of the games they released that summer, I see little but promises.


I'm sorry I missed seeing this earlier.

I have dealt extensively and closely with the company now. The new owner has a lot of experience in the industry, I talk with these guys constantly. Admittedly, this is just one more random internet promise, but; yeah. I remain (sincerely) optimistic.

You should check out their new forums, by the way. A new design, not slow any more, and an openness that should help, I think, provide some of that optimism.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Delahunty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
Looks really nice. I think that is the first edition map tho. The new maps have no white borders.



I think we're past due for an update :). The module (gamebox) is now based on 2nd edition high-resolution assets, and will be hosted on the LnL Publishing servers once released.

2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jad Walters
msg tools
mb
Well good luck. If there was ever any lack of openness from Walker I was never aware of it. My take is that he was painfully honest. Due dates would change, and he would tell us honestly why, not spew platitudes about making games perfect.

But none of that is your fault, either way. Good luck with your modules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Delahunty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
armorbuff wrote:
Well good luck. If there was ever any lack of openness from Walker I was never aware of it. My take is that he was painfully honest. Due dates would change, and he would tell us honestly why, not spew platitudes about making games perfect.

But none of that is your fault, either way. Good luck with your modules.


I didn't mean to impugn Mark's approach in any way. I meant that what I'd seen (personally) from the company had a similar openness to the traditional way Mark ran things.

Maybe that was more my personal impression only, at least previously. The December 1 postings of new information were an improvement for everyone.

I'm sorry it took me so long to loop back around and check out this thread again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.