Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

War Stories: Liberty Road» Forums » Rules

Subject: Event Card clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of questions on the turning up of an Event card and its execution...

(1) When an event mentions the "nearest" unit, is the unit being attacked considered vulnerable or is it the nearest to THAT unit that's being targeted?

(2) Do the secondary events (actions) occur on a non end-of-turn flip if the primary event doesn't apply? (For example, a valor check results in a card flip: breeze, but not applicable; so do you instead do the secondary actions?)

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
A couple of questions on the turning up of an Event card and its execution...

(1) When an event mentions the "nearest" unit, is the unit being attacked considered vulnerable or is it the nearest to THAT unit that's being targeted?


Not sure how you are using "vulnerable" here, but determining the target of the event begins with the unit being targeted (and may include the unit being targeted) then goes out from there.

Malacandra wrote:
(2) Do the secondary events (actions) occur on a non end-of-turn flip if the primary event doesn't apply? (For example, a valor check results in a card flip: breeze, but not applicable; so do you instead do the secondary actions?)

Thanks!


Yes, this is correct. In fact those secondary events originally came into the design because players disliked how infrequent the events actually fired. So, while it was inserted to address that issue, it was a happy byproduct that it also created counterattacks and overload turns as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dknemeyer wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
A couple of questions on the turning up of an Event card and its execution...

(1) When an event mentions the "nearest" unit, is the unit being attacked considered vulnerable or is it the nearest to THAT unit that's being targeted?


Not sure how you are using "vulnerable" here, but determining the target of the event begins with the unit being targeted (and may include the unit being targeted) then goes out from there.



So example:

I have an infantry unit that fires at an enemy unit. The chip pull calls for an event. The Event is to eliminate the "nearest reduced conscript or regular." Would that include the unit being attacked (if applicable) or the nearest unit to the one being attacked.

The focus of the event is the unit being targeted but "nearest" presumes something other than the unit that is the focus of the event. Make sense?

Thanks for the quick replies!

Edit: the specific example I am referring to is the Desertion event.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
dknemeyer wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
A couple of questions on the turning up of an Event card and its execution...

(1) When an event mentions the "nearest" unit, is the unit being attacked considered vulnerable or is it the nearest to THAT unit that's being targeted?


Not sure how you are using "vulnerable" here, but determining the target of the event begins with the unit being targeted (and may include the unit being targeted) then goes out from there.



So example:

I have an infantry unit that fires at an enemy unit. The chip pull calls for an event. The Event is to eliminate the "nearest reduced conscript or regular." Would that include the unit being attacked (if applicable) or the nearest unit to the one being attacked.

The focus of the event is the unit being targeted but "nearest" presumes something other than the unit that is the focus of the event. Make sense?

Thanks for the quick replies!

Edit: the specific example I am referring to is the Desertion event.


Got it. Yes, the unit being shot at is the deserting unit. "Nearest" begins with the focus unit and goes out from there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Dirk!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.