Popular Tags: [View All]
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

My partner and I will be attending Essen this year and we will be spending time in the Czech Republic before hand (Prague, Cesky Krumlov and Brno a total of 10 nights). I'm very excited about the trip. I will avoid asking you advice for things that can be found in the travel guides.

I am allergic to hazelnuts I hope someone here can help me translate the following to avoid any problems:

“I am allergic to hazelnuts and raw apples. Please tell me NO if I choose something containing one of these.”

I'm thinking about purchasing a SIM card to use for the 4 weeks we are in Europe (Czech Rep; Vienna; Budapest; Essen and Amsterdam). Do you have any companies and/or plans that you would recommend for a short term user? We would be using it to contact the people we are renting accommodation from and basic low-usage online requirements.

Since we are staying 5 nights from the 28th September(accommodation near Charles Bridge) it might be nice to meet some fellow gamers around a board game one evening. Although my partner does not play board games he does like having the company around and reading while I play.

Thanks meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karel Stastny
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I hope you will enjoy your stay here

rhianna_ wrote:

“I am allergic to hazelnuts and raw apples. Please tell me NO if I choose something containing one of these.”

"Jsem alergická na lískové oříšky a syrová jablka. Prosím řekněte mi NE pokud si vyberu něco, co jednu z těchto věcí obsahuje."

I don't know about best short term SIM cards, but regarding the gaming - there is a meetup group that plays every Wednesday http://www.meetup.com/Board-Games-Club-Prague/. We also play every Tuesday at the same place but that is more for gamers (might not be for your partner). The people at both are super nice. Feel free to message me if you decide to come to either of those gatherings, I will help you and can show you the place.

There are also a few other clubs near the center where people regularly play but I don't know many people there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhianna_ wrote:
I'm thinking about purchasing a SIM card to use for the 4 weeks we are in Europe (Czech Rep; Vienna; Budapest; Essen and Amsterdam). Do you have any companies and/or plans that you would recommend for a short term user? We would be using it to contact the people we are renting accommodation from and basic low-usage online requirements.

Do you have TravelSIM in New Zealand? They sell them at the post office here in Australia. I've used it in Europe in all of the countries you've mentioned, also just in low-usage amounts (and didn't use any data). I don't know anything about purchasing a SIM over there, but TravelSIM has the advantage that you can buy it and set it up before you go.

I know you didn't ask for tourist advice, but if you're into hostels, Krumlov House in Cesky Krumlov is lovely and homely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tantan wrote:
rhianna_ wrote:

Do you have TravelSIM in New Zealand? They sell them at the post office here in Australia. I've used it in Europe in all of the countries you've mentioned, also just in low-usage amounts (and didn't use any data). I don't know anything about purchasing a SIM over there, but TravelSIM has the advantage that you can buy it and set it up before you go.

I know you didn't ask for tourist advice, but if you're into hostels, Krumlov House in Cesky Krumlov is lovely and homely.

We've booked accommodation through Airbnb, though thanks for the recommendation (good to have a back up plan).

TravelSIM looks like they have a New Zealand web address. I shall investigate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in all the cities and countries you'll be visiting. I've never needed a phone. Could you not contact B&Bs, etc. on the internet? WiFi is quite ubiquitous.

Also, if I really really needed to contact a future accommodation, I had great success asking the place where I was currently staying to make the call on my behalf. Standing face to face it was easier for us to understand each other, and then, via phone, the two native speakers could do things much faster and more accurately than I could have done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:
I've been in all the cities and countries you'll be visiting. I've never needed a phone. Could you not contact B&Bs, etc. on the internet? WiFi is quite ubiquitous.

Also, if I really really needed to contact a future accommodation, I had great success asking the place where I was currently staying to make the call on my behalf. Standing face to face it was easier for us to understand each other, and then, via phone, the two native speakers could do things much faster and more accurately than I could have done.

Everywhere I am staying (except Essen) are not commerical businesses, rather they are individuals who rent out their apartment through a site call Airbnb. Thus the accomodation will not have a phone nor anyone to phone on my behalf. It is to ensure that when we meet the owner of the place everything goes smoothly timing-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alazṓn Theatre
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Meoww
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah Brno...I once spent an entire day there and saw nothing. I spent the whole day in the train station waiting for my train as the schedule board indicating the train was late was updated...in 10 minute increments!!.shake

The Hluboká Castle was pretty incredible if you find yourself near Ceske Budejovice on your way through (South of Prague, West of Brno, North of Cesky Krumlov).

You'll have a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tea or Coffee?
United States
Ellisville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For local calls within the Czech Republic, you can pick up a SIM card for around 200 Crowns (includes 200 Crowns of credit) at most major grocery stores. They sell them next to the checkouts alongside the candy, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was in the Czech Republic last year with her mother and aunt, visiting relatives. They brought back wonderful pictures; it is truly a beautiful place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karel Stastny
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fennic wrote:
Ah Brno...I once spent an entire day there and saw nothing. I spent the whole day in the train station waiting for my train as the schedule board indicating the train was late was updated...in 10 minute increments!!.shake

That unfortunately sometimes happens with our railways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.