Stronghold: Undead» Forums » General

Subject: Defender weaker than Invader? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played a few games up to now, but I do have the impression that it is significantly harder to get a defender victory than invader.
If the invader plays it smart and avoids having his units killed unnecessarily (and gets to get a high enough mana supply with swamps), he should be able to hit at least 3 or 4 wall sections with overwhelming forces by round 5 or 6.
Especially the bats are really nasty if you dont have enough veterans to put on their space or if theres a spectral ballista able to shoot at the bat wall.

Anyway, I did not want to get into too much detail here, nor do I want a strategy discussion. Just interested in wheter other people feel the same that the defender has a really hard time compared to the invader (yes I did win with the defender).
I am thinking of house ruling 3 hourglasses to the defender each turn, but this may be too strong....also want to get some more plays in before I do that.

Any thoughts on this unstructured post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sinkovits
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Stronghold: Undead 4 times or so, but the Invader has not one won yet. Each game has been super close and down to wire, all the way through the 8th turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this problem at my house - it was quite opposite of the base game for me. I applied balance changes to the starting units and to the hospital. (I forget the details now, but I think it was maybe recovering two units from the hospital a turn instead of one)

I even had trouble with the defender keeping up when I backed away from all the spells and spent all my mana every round only on units. I would desire that that strategy would be quite easy to beat, and that good use of spells should be required to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.