Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Board Overlays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game. Absolutely love it. And Villains just means we have more variety which can only be a good thing in my eyes.

But...and it's only a little but...I think it might jar a little thematically if the GotG are clearing the sewers and the rooftops of villains etc.
I always see the rooftops, streets, sewers, bridge etc as being the domain of heroes like Spidey, DD, Moonknight, Punisher etc.
Not exclusively, I know, but more often than not.
You know where I'm coming from.

I mean they are Gurdians of the GALAXY, after all!

So it got me to thinking that maybe overlays for the HQ/Lair and/or the City might be an easy answer.

For HQs you could have Attilian, Atlantis, X-Men Mansion, Baxter Building etc, for the City you could have the Savage Land, The Negative Zone, Genosha - I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Has anyone else though about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The HQ/Lair doesn't bother me as much, but I'd like a City overlay for when I want to use the hero city layout in a game on the villains mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickey Stirrups wrote:
...for the City you could have the Savage Land, The Negative Zone, Genosha - I'm sure there are plenty of others.

I think it would be a cool idea. But the problem I have specifically with this part here is that there's no progression involved; they are just kinda random places.

What I like about the current city spaces is that they progress from the sewers and gradually move out towards the outer parts of a city (or reverse for villains) which fits nicely with why the "bad guys" are moving from one city space to the next. Without a similar progression for the overlay I feel like you actually lose a bit of the theme all for the sake of having galactic names.

Maybe it would work better if they were specific connected places within one planet or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For space, they could be planets approaching Earth. It would be a natural progression and would represent trying to stop the villains before they arrive on earth and create havoc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:
Mickey Stirrups wrote:
...for the City you could have the Savage Land, The Negative Zone, Genosha - I'm sure there are plenty of others.

I think it would be a cool idea. But the problem I have specifically with this part here is that there's no progression involved; they are just kinda random places.

What I like about the current city spaces is that they progress from the sewers and gradually move out towards the outer parts of a city (or reverse for villains) which fits nicely with why the "bad guys" are moving from one city space to the next. Without a similar progression for the overlay I feel like you actually lose a bit of the theme all for the sake of having galactic names.

Maybe it would work better if they were specific connected places within one planet or something?

I kind of agree. But at the same time, cosmic or epic scale stories often involve the bad guys going here, there, & everywhere trying to assemble a super weapon or something, or the good guys running around all over the galaxy or globe trying to foil the bad guys scheme.

So it could be viewed as as progressing the story, even though all of the locations aren't contained in the game geographic area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree. I would still want the progression from one location to another etc but within a different environment, if you see what I mean.

E.g. Space (quick example off the top of my head! Bear in mind I've never been so am not en expert on what's there lol)

Negative Zone - Far Reaches - Orion's Nebula - Asteroid Belt - Earth

Whatever - you get the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you would always get the progression, just in areas other than a cityscape!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've always loved this idea, but I'd like to see Marvel Universe-specific locations. Hala, Skrullos, maybe Knowhere. Kree villains could get +1 attack on Hala, or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Several people suggested this in the past.

But there are problems here. First, you have many heroes\villains\schemes that depend on locations in the city.

Second, there are several playing options. There's heroes board, heroes mat, villains mat etc

I don't think you can graphically cover them all equally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickey Stirrups wrote:
Yeah, I agree. I would still want the progression from one location to another etc but within a different environment, if you see what I mean.

E.g. Space (quick example off the top of my head! Bear in mind I've never been so am not en expert on what's there lol)

Negative Zone - Far Reaches - Orion's Nebula - Asteroid Belt - Earth

Whatever - you get the idea.

I like it. So (in no particular order) you could have:

"Space"= Asteroid M, Blue Area of the Moon, Titan, Kree Empire, Sh'iar Empire, Galactus' World Ship (or what ever choices).

"Exotic Locales" (Savage Land, Atlantis, Genoha, Madripoor, Latveria, etc.)

Not sure what other themes. Bases? Cities of the World?

GrandMasterFox wrote:
Several people suggested this in the past.

But there are problems here. First, you have many heroes\villains\schemes that depend on locations in the city.

I'm ok with Electro not being able to kidnap a Bystander from the Bank if I happen to be fighting him on the Blue Area of the Moon. Take them out of their environment & they should be like a fish out of water.

For me, I would only be interested in utilizing the appropriate types of environments with thematically appropriate Heroes, Villains, Masterminds, & Schemes anyway, so no big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming down the pike could be: Inhumans, Spacejammers, other members of GotG (past and future), and various other heroes. Lots and lots of options.

A board overlay involving space would be great.

I'm in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of thematic overlays for the board. Turning the HQ into the Baxter Building or Xavier's mansion would be awesome.

For the Guardians of the Galaxy expansion at least, you could do the different settings in the movie: The Kyln (replacement for the Sewers?), Knowhere (Streets?), Xandar (replacement for the Bridge?), Hala, Morag IV...

http://marvel.com/news/movies/2014/7/31/22994/from_hala_to_x...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I think it would just add a little thematically. I'm thinking of having a go at making a couple but will have to draft in some of my computer literate, artistic friends to help me

Baxter Building for the HQ and space for the city sound like a good jumping on point to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.