Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins» Forums » General

Subject: So... How much do I REALLY have to spend on this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have just heard about it. I read the campaign text, some flames here and latest updates; unfortunately some are for backers only. I talked about it with a couple backers and it seems they're in for the minis mainly, secondly for the wargame which apparently should be decent as it's bases on an existing well received system. Nobody really cared about the board version.

So, is the board game a teaser, like GW starters, or should it provide a complete experience? Apparently there are basic/advanced rules for the board game itself apart from wargame rules, and a point system. Judging by it, what should I really purchase for each faction? I'm not interested in large scale, maybe would try the skirmish version if it doesn't require a lot of additional investement over the board game. It would be a bummer to pay £200 and discover it's just the begining.

Also, if there where any demoes/reviews/rule previews i would also love to hear. ipi really dig it, but judging by the majority of miniature kickstarters it could just turn out to be a collectors' mini set without rules worth playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a KS backer, who backed because of the promise of a cool, relatively self contained, board game (which I could supplement with some of the "extras").

Initially I assumed the board game was a lot more than a teaser, as a retail version with plastic (instead of the KS resin) figures was supposed to be made. I would think from a skirmish perspective that should work for you, though motion and attack ranges will be handled differently in the 'wargame' rules.

Honestly, based on Prodos' poor communications (frequency and especially content) I am very worried at their ability to publish good board game rules. With their switch to area movement from squares things like LOS (for the board game) will be difficult to clearly and concisely define.

We'll see. I suspect for skirmish gaming on other than the tiles provided in the board game, starting with what is included in the board game will get you a decent start, and once the army building lists for the wargame are out you'll be able to figure out what other figures to buy to suit your chosen faction and play style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Maguire
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also went in on this KS for the board game. The way Prodos positioned their campaign gave the impression that the board game was their focus (what limited content there is on the main page talks only about the board game). I agree with Jake's concerns - as much as it was focus of this KS there are still a ton of questions without answers around it.

The board game comes with only one squad of marines and only the first two "levels" of aliens. I expanded my list to include:

- more marine squads
- marine Sgt
- sentry guns
- alien warriors (the ones from Aliens)

and maybe you want to pick up a couple of extra Predator models (I liked the female and the hounds) just to round it out.

But the caveat with this is that I expanded my purchases from the main game based on wanting to have games as close to Aliens and Predators (the last one) as possible. So that was my motivation for additional purchases and I think I'm all set for a long time.

But here we are with the game theoretically going to ship next month and I couldn't honestly tell you if what I bought is too little or too much. One of the updates included the model points but they weren't that helpful without the rules to apply some additional context.

If you can find anything like a demo, review or preview please let us know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also in for the Boardgame, plus the Berserker Predator (regular and transparent) - basically the KS Exclusive stuff. If I end up loving the game, I figure I can pick up additional stuff down the road. The prices seemed pretty high (converting British Pounds to US Dollars) to go all in for everything. I suspect that the game will be distributed widely after this, and I'll be able to pick up additional stuff at a discount from an OLGS (or if my budget allows, I'll pick it up at MSRP from my FLGS).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi, i just saw the all addons and im speechless because i want em all !!!! Almost every single model oozes with 100% alien universe fluff, beginning from pretty useless "counters" like eggs and sentries up to queen and cloaked predators. Jexus, this is gonna cost... And seeing the quality of WZR miniatures i am ready to believe in stunning amazement in Fox offices.

But my question is of other nature. And pretty untypical, considering how strange this KS project is with its stress on the board game component of the avp game.

i am drawn to this game because of many reasons, but mainly because of fond memories of games which presented the complete avp expeerience right in the box. For example the CCG from harper-prism which actually was a BOARD GAME. (sort of like dungeoneer). There were random events (like prodos has) but also you could field queens and all sort of various loadouts for each faction. it was an amazing and compact package.
i'm not sure whether it is going to be the case here , hence the question:

====================
TLDR
is it already known whether the add on miniatures will be usable in the board game or are these huge queens and whatnot only meant for the tabletop version?

Could you also clarify the difference between two "extra" 5 marines packs? is it a mistake that the one WiTHOUT the flamethrower has different pulse rifle (x4) than the pack below with a flamethrower (x3)
or is it just a typo?

just no to make it completely offtopic i will include my top-down rating of a selection of minis based on my subjective fluff factor:

alien queen
cloaked predators
eggs and sentry guns
sergeant (dat cigar!!)
power loader
alien warriors (from the film)
predalien (because of 2002 AvP2 computer game from Monolith)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
this game is pretty deceiving in comparison to WZR. Somehow Prodos achieved the feat of customer wanting absolutely (or almost) everything what is available at Kickstarter. i went up from Payback to Mars to if it bleeds with some extras.
For everybody i would advise to take at least Mars, Payback is almost too minimal. One doesn't have to wait for rules, just get the FREE Warzone Resurrection rules at http://prodosgames.com/

It is Prodos' universal games rules system. There are going to be SOME differences (unlike WZR, there are no cards bound to the models) but i assume they are going to be only minimal ones.
Orders are still open for much cheaper and much better quality KS version of a game http://shop.prodosgames.com/en/8-alien-vs-predator

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien
Belgium
Brugge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have they ever said whether the extra models not included in the board game will be usable/used in the board game as such? Does the board game have counters for eggs and queens and whatnot that you replace with models alla descent lieutenants?

The mentions of the wargame worry me to be honest. Is the board game going to be worth it at all? I met with Prodos last weekend in Antwerp and I realize that I should have asked more questions, but up until then I wasn't familiar with the game. Having actually handled the models though, I can tell you they look AMAZING!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have promised all figures would be usable in the board game. Not sure if they will keep that promise, we'll see. I think there will be egg counters, but I seriously doubt there are counters for the Queen or any other non-included figures.

Will the board game be worth it? The KS was supposedly run to fund the creation of the board game so I hope so. Having said that, they did seem to focus a lot more on the war game so again,we'll see. I hope so as I really pledged because of the board game. I have no interest in platoons of soldiers fighting giant hordes of aliens. I don't have the room or desire to spend enough to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.