Popular Tags: [View All]
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the preview article:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
“Response: When The Great Bridge is explored, discard a hero from play to deal X damage to The Balrog. X is that hero’s threat cost. Then, The Balrog loses all keywords for the remainder of the game. Any player may trigger this response.”

This effect makes it possible to destroy The Balrog. However, triggering it comes at a high price; one player must sacrifice a hero he controls in order to trigger it, and in campaign mode, that hero (as well as any ally version of the character) is lost for the remainder of the campaign. Still, that hero’s sacrifice may prove the only way that the rest of the heroes can escape from Moria.

I am a little confused, I get that you can damage the Balrog by triggering this. And it loses the 'indestructible' keyword. But 'immune to player card effects' and 'cannot be optionally engaged' still stay right? Are those 2 things 'keywords'? With a threat of 50, and no optional engagement , other than characters that can attack the staging area how do you kill this thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are "keywords".
I'm sure it will be cleared up in the rulebook, when it comes out. The old Balrog cards require special tricks to defeat them, I see no reason why this one won't too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same thought. Those other lines are not keywords the only keyword is indestructible. It might just be really hard to defeat it, I don't think you are seriously supposed to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
One of Many Mikes
badge
Ribbit..?
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to your question can be found on the Balrog card:

While in the staging area, The Balrog is considered to be engaged with the first player and only the first player can declare attackers against The Balrog.

So the first player can declare attacks. My question is, does this exclude ranged characters belonging to the second player? The wording seems to suggest that this is the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
kuroppo wrote:
The answer to your question can be found on the Balrog card:

While in the staging area, The Balrog is considered to be engaged with the first player and only the first player can declare attackers against The Balrog.

So the first player can declare attacks. My question is, does this exclude ranged characters belonging to the second player? The wording seems to suggest that this is the case.

The first player declares, others with ranged can participate, why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:

"Only the first player can declare attackers." Not attacks, attackers. So this prevents other players' ranged characters from joining the attack. The description of Ranged in the rules says:

LotR rules wrote:
A character with the ranged keyword can be declared by its controller as an attacker against enemies that are engaged with other players. A character can declare ranged attacks against these targets while its owner is declaring attacks, or it can participate in attacks that are declared by other players. In either case, the character must exhaust and meet any other requirements necessary to make the attack.

The phrasing "declared ... as an attacker" covers both the "I'm declaring an attack" and "I'm participating in an attack declared by someone else".

That is one nasty card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmunn wrote:
JonBen wrote:

"Only the first player can declare attackers." Not attacks, attackers. So this prevents other players' ranged characters from joining the attack. The description of Ranged in the rules says:

LotR rules wrote:
A character with the ranged keyword can be declared by its controller as an attacker against enemies that are engaged with other players. A character can declare ranged attacks against these targets while its owner is declaring attacks, or it can participate in attacks that are declared by other players. In either case, the character must exhaust and meet any other requirements necessary to make the attack.

The phrasing "declared ... as an attacker" covers both the "I'm declaring an attack" and "I'm participating in an attack declared by someone else".

That is one nasty card.

Quite right. I read the line too quickly and missed that it says "declare attackers" and not "declare attacks". Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome discussion everyone, the answer was right there on the card! wow....what a beast! He is thematic for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.