11 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: Magic The Gathering: Which deck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl T
msg tools
Hey,

My son got the 2015 deckbuilder and I want to get my own set to play against him. I am looking at the 2014 deckbuilder fat edition, but wondered if ALL Magic cards are compatible, or are some exclusive to a particular gametype? Are previous years superseeded/negated by newer editions?

Are the 2015 cards more powerful? Are there and pro's and con's for older or newer decks?

As a family we love card and board games ( Dominion, Tobago, Agricola, etc, etc), so looking to expand this game as well as compete with my own deck combinations.

Many thanks

Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FOr playing at home all the cards are compatible. Especially anything printed in the past few years will all work together fine. If you look into tournaments then they have certain set restrictions, but you don't need to worry about that for some time, if ever.

The only things to maybe watch out for is if you happen to find VERY old cards. Say over 15 years. These may be a little different, but still technically fine with anything new.

As long as you are getting things are relatively new there won't be any issues. Power level shouldn't be a concern either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the base set M15- M14 are typically meant to be more new player friendly. When you get to the expansions like Theros and Born of the Gods you will find more complexity and possibly more confusing cards. This also holds true of the rarity of the cards. Common should be easy to understand, Rare could be more difficult.

Any issues come back here and people are always here to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Compatibility is a complete non-issue, and power level between recent core sets is a non-issue. My only concern is:

Kappatango wrote:
I am looking at the 2014 deckbuilder fat edition

There was a Magic 2014 Deckbuilder's Toolkit.

There was a Magic 2014 Fat Pack.

(just like each of those products exist for 2015).

They are distinct products.

If you want to be on even footing with him, the 2014 Deckbuilder's Toolkit would be an equivalent product with equivalent power level and identical card count.

The 2014 Fat Pack would not. The fat pack is just a smaller land pack than the DBTK, and nine boosters. It's not a 'collection in a box' like the DBTK is supposed to be. While you'd come away with more rares, you'd have considerably fewer cards and would be hard pressed to really get on an even footing in terms of having enough card depth to build comparable decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniƫl Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for a M15 Deckbuilder's Toolkit, just as your son did. That levels the playing field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl T
msg tools
thatmarkguy wrote:

They are distinct products.

If you want to be on even footing with him, the 2014 Deckbuilder's Toolkit would be an equivalent product with equivalent power level and identical card count.

The 2014 Fat Pack would not. The fat pack is just a smaller land pack than the DBTK, and nine boosters. It's not a 'collection in a box' like the DBTK is supposed to be. While you'd come away with more rares, you'd have considerably fewer cards and would be hard pressed to really get on an even footing in terms of having enough card depth to build comparable decks.

Great advice everyone, thank you.

Seabie wrote:
I would go for a M15 Deckbuilder's Toolkit, just as your son did. That levels the playing field.

Are there different cards in the same pack though? Wont I just be duplicating the cards he already has?

Many thanks,sorry for the dumb questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
As I posted in another thread a while back:

"
A fatpack is 80 basic lands, 9 boosters @ 15 cards per (including a basic land in each), and a bunch of swag (poster, learn to play guide, deck boxes, a D20 'spindown life counter'...). So 89 basic lands + 126 cards.

A deckbuilders' toolkit is 100 basic lands, 4 boosters @ 15 cards per, 85 fixed cards, and 40 semirandom cards (4 10-packs of shared-theme cards, from a possible 11). And most of the same swag (no D20 spindown, but the rest is largely the same - poster and learn to play guide and such).
"

So aside from basic land, the set will have 85 cards in common, possibly some duplication in the semirandom slots (I believe there are 11 different theme 10-packs, of which each kit has 4), and the booster packs will be completely different. I mean, they'll be the same four sets' boosters, but the contents are randomized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kappatango wrote:

Are there different cards in the same pack though? Wont I just be duplicating the cards he already has?

Many thanks,sorry for the dumb questions!

Don't worry about this at all. Deckbuilder's toolkits are semi-random product, so you will probably share some, but not a lot of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't go with another M15 toolkit as you will get too much duplication? You will get at least 85 non land cards that are the same. Get the M14 toolkit as even it's 85 fixed cards will be different from the ones in the M15.

I have both and you'll end up with a nice mix of cards to build your decks with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I suppose the next question is: is duplication a bad thing? Each set will have enough cards to support basically any color pair. So they're fairly unlikely to build similar decks even with the common cardpool. Also, if you mutually agree to share the cards each other's sets aren't using, each side can make more consistent builds by having access to multiples of key cards. The green player gets 4 Elvish Mystics, 2 Terra Stompers. Red player gets 4 Lightning Strike, 2 Shivan Dragons. Everybody's happy.

Incidentally, I just looked at the 2015 set contents and I'd now wager to say the 2015 set IS more powerful if you were to pit a deck constructed from the 2015 kit against one build from the 2014. I didn't realize they had added a cycle of big 'rare' creatures (Aegis Angel, Mahamoti Djinn, Nightmare, Shivan Dragon, Terra Stomper) that would all be major difference-makers in a cardpool as limited as the DBTK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
U Majuran
United Kingdom
Doncaster
S. Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tasty or your money back
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many ways to play the game that it can be confusing.

To play against him, 1 deck builder's toolkit can make more than 1 deck at once so you don't necessarily need to buy extra product initially.

Where you go from there depends on how you want to play the game and who with.

2nd toolkit is fine as you can have up to 4 cards of the same name in a deck (except basic lands which you can have any no of). The M15 toolkit is pretty good- has at least one of each of most of the powerful uncommons and commons from the recent sets to play with. Having 2 is a good starting point and makes certain deck types more viable but 2nd set not essential

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.