BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Ultimate Gaming Room -- Your Ideas and Experiences. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thumis Dalidalisa
United States
Falls Church
flag msg tools
I don't get to game a lot. I actually daydream about gaming more than I actually game. One thing that has been occupying my thoughts lately has been contemplating the design of an ideal gaming room. (I've been thinking about this as I ride on the Metro in much the same way that I often dream of how I will spend my lottery winnings.)

The following is what I've come up with so far. I'm posting this in hopes of getting more ideas and suggestions. Please also post your images/diagrams/descriptions of actual great gaming rooms. Since this is a brainstorming/fantasy exercise, expense should not be too much of a consideration.

I'll need three, I think: A 5' by 10' covered in green felt for miniatures gaming, which I've wanted to get into, a six-foot diameter round table for multiplayer games, and a 4' x 6' rectangular table for two-player games. I've also thought that the round table and the small rectangular table might be combined by using one of those round tables with fold down edges like you sometimes see in Chinese restaurants.

I'd want a separate 1/2 bath for all my new gamer buddies (who would be attracted by the sumptuous magnificence of my game room).

I'd want a kitchen area at one end of the room with a corian or granite counter to put snacks and drinks on, a kitchen-type sink (I won't bore you with a discussion of fittings), a refrigerator (with good icemaker), and a microwave.

I'd want roughly 250 linear feet of built-in wood shelving to accommodate a hypothetical collection of roughly 1000 games. (If I could afford this room, then I could afford the collection.) In thinking this stuff out, I find this is the hardest requirement to meet. If you figure six shelves and on average 4" of shelf space per game (either stacked on each other or turned on end), that means you'd need roughly 56' linear floor feet of shelves or bookcases. Wow. How do people with the truly big collections ever store them?

Wall Mount

I'd want some sort of wall mount to put a wargame on. How to do this puzzles me a bit. Of course, I've read about about mapboards on metal sheets and magnets on the counters. I've heard also of other ways to make the map and counters sticky. In any case, I'm not clear how one smoothly affixes the map to the piece of metal (or whatever) so that it sticks nicely but does not ruin the map. Surely you don't use a different piece of metal with a permanently glued map for each game that you wall mount? I'd also anticipate that the weight of a large metal sheet could strain a regular interior wall. I'd welcome comments and advice.

Some nice acrylic in the bathroom and kitchen. Wood in the gaming area, with a neutrally colored and unfluffy area rug (so it's easy to find dropped pieces). Sorry -- there's a shoes-off policy in the game room.

I'd like a generous number of windows for natural light, preferably positioned to reduce direct sunlight on the shelves that hold the games. As for articifial light, well, I know I don't like fluorescent and that floor lamps with cords to trip over would be impractical, but I'm otherwise ignorant of good lighting options.

Have I missed something? I think the above would require a 20' x 30' gaming area with extra space for the kitchen and bathroom. Ten-foot ceilings of course.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.