Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking for suggestions on what to do once you've... can't say mastered... gotten comfortable with the basic game. Seems like we're just getting going when we hit the victory conditions (playing 2-3 player, semi-competitively... we allow limited travel mulligans).

I see there are a LOT of modules in the living rules - too many to process really. Any suggestions as to what to add as a next step up the rung of complexity?

Also - is there a next step up from the basic victory conditions that's recommended? Seems really easy to achieve - once you get past your first factory the next come quick...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
The illustrious HiveGod has the best advice here:

Re: CUBES OF DOOM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
The next step up to lengthen the game is Futures... but they are a whopper. I would say you pretty need to use almost every module if you want to play with futures.

To build up to that I would simply pick a reasonable arbitrary end-game goal (i.e. first person to industrialize a TNO site gets 10 points and ends the game if there are already 10 factories in play) and throw in a few other modules.

Personally I would start with Colonists and Bernals
Then I'd add everything but futures.
Then I'd play with everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also just set a fixed number of turns (say 50) and count points at the end of that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
My quick/crazy recommendation:

1. Game 1: Play with supports, solar cycle, politics and freighters module. You'll have lots of stuff blow up.
2. Game 2: Add Bernals. Will be a fast game. Note you don't have colonists at this point so dirtside hydration doesn't matter.
3. Game 3: Add GW thrusters and play Andy Graham's variant where you don't score factories but add the absolute value of the heliocentric zone modifier to the claim value for the first claim in each zone and end the game on TNO factory counts.
4. Game 4: Add colonists. End the game on number of colonies rather than number of factories. Your crew can't be turned into a colony.
5. Game 5: Add futures and play the full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feeling like you are just getting started when the victory conditions are hit is a feature of the base game.

If you aren't playing the the support module yet, I'd recommend your next goal be focused on becoming very familiar with that. Add the support module and the other advanced rules (advanced rocket maneuvers, politics, the solar cycle) basically, the original advanced game before all the other modules were added. Support requirements will slow down the game some. But if the game is too short still, change the victory conditions to "the game ends after N factories", and pick any value of N you want based on how long you want the game to last.

Once you are comfortable with supports, you are ready for everything else, but if you still want to go step by step, i'd add the freighter module and GW thruster module next.

Bernals change the game so much, I'd save them for last. And once you are using bernals, you should probably add in colonists and futures at the same time. The game will likely go way too fast with bernals if you aren't using futures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.