Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Nerdook's Solo/Coop Variant v2.2 + Nerdook's Quick Campaign v0.5 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello everyone!

As promised, I've finally updated my Solo/Co-op variant to v2.2... and added high resolution card backs and card scans! There are a total of 72 cards, so it fits nicely into a PrinterStudio or ArtsCow project.

A special THANK YOU to Curtis Delaney a.k.a. WonderSlug for taking time to proofread the guide for the variant and suggesting useful changes.

NERDOOK'S SOLO/COOP VARIANT V2.2
----------------------------------------------------------

Dropbox link for rules and cards:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zqudsy7dxny5bp2/AADEaOw1gucnC4iuP...

Some notable changes in this version:

1) Instead of reinforcing a figure, the AI Overlord now uses fatigue tokens as reinforcement tokens, gaining one reinforcement token every time the AI card says "Reinforce a figure". The Overlord spends reinforcement tokens to purchase as many figures as possible based on their Health value: if he doesn't have enough to respawn a figure, enemies are not respawned and the tokens carry forward.
2) Only minions are reinforced now, usually. Master figures are treated as a type of mini-boss, with one appearing in each major room you explore.
3) Removed the icons from lower right of Overlord cards: now you just pick monsters randomly. This makes setup quicker, and there are no longer any restrictions on Monster sizes (mostly due to the fact that balancing relies on reinforcement tokens/Health values now, instead of on figure base sizes).
4) Removed the Reshuffle and Diabolic Power cards. The Overlord deck now works in a more similar way to Descent first edition: every time the AI Overlord deck is exhausted, the Overlord gains Threat tokens, monster groups are upgraded, Lts regain health, and then the deck is reshuffled.
5) Overlord Event cards with an ongoing effect now have a different discard condition, where Heroes may spend an action and an attribute test to discard the card. However, multiple Overlord Event cards can now be in play, making the Dungeon a potentially more dangerous place.
6) Added Lieutenant cards from Shadow of Nerekhall. However, the Black Realm cards have been removed, and simplified into a single "Gates to the Black Realm" Dungeon card.

With the announcement of Imperial Assault, I expect the Descent expansions to slow down considerably, so for now this will be the final update for the variant, except for corrections or errata. If you give it a try, leave some feedback here, I always appreciate it! However, please try not to leave a wall of questions regarding edge cases or rules clarifications: when in doubt, use whatever seems the most fun to you.

EDIT: The Overlord also gains 1 Threat token the first time a hero is knocked down.

NERDOOK'S QUICK CAMPAIGN V0.5
----------------------------------------------------------

I've ALSO been working on a Quick Campaign variant, and I'd like to share the idea here, though it's a work in progress (no standard rules guide yet!)

Dropbox link for Quick Campaign:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qb17soj0ccqmddh/AACEbT42RfBV-HpLU...

This changes the Descent campaign format to a much faster, competitive, randomly generated series of missions. Some changes:

1) Alternating activations: similar to the system revealed in Imperial Assault.
2) Reinforcement tokens system: similar to the Solo/Coop variant: after each Hero activation, the Overlord gains tokens that can be spent to reinforce figures based on their Health value, spending the tokens at the end of his turn. Act I = 3 Health per token, Act II = 5 Health per token.
3) Every Win Counts: Rather than a long series of battles ending in a win-or-lose final battle, the objective is to be the first to win two Quests. The winner of each Quest gains a small advantage, while the loser gains a bigger advantage for the next Quest, as a catch up mechanism.
4) Randomised Quests: There are 3 decks of cards: Quest cards, Location cards, and Reward cards. Each Quest is generated by mixing these 3 cards into a single combination, with each Location having different layouts with generic Objective Token locations that work differently based on the current Quest. (Yes, it will be a pain to balance, but I think the initial setup should be okay with some additional tweaking.)

Set Up:
Overlord starts with 5 XP and 3 Threat. Heroes start with 3 XP and 75 gold per hero. The game starts with a Shopping Step. During each Shopping Step, draw 3 Shop Items for the current Act.

When the Heroes win their first Quest, the game shifts to Act II. Master figures cannot be reinforced, but one master figure may be placed for free on each starting location. Then, the Overlord places a Lieutenant (if required by the Quest) and minion figures on any named Location tile with a total Health not exceeding 40 points for Act I and 60 points for Act II.

The winner of the Quest gains the Reward specified on the card, while the loser gains the Reward listed in the "Surge: Reward" section.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keldar Ironshield
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks for your work Nerdook, been using your d6 variant to play the shadowrune and enjoying it. Haven't had time to try this variant yet though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Delaney
United States
Friendswood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the shout out, Nerdook!

Looking forward to trying out your new update.

You can be sure I'll get back to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor Manuel Ochoa
Spain
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One question. I've took a quick look to the cards and it seems the only change are the icons and some word changing (add ONE monster... > Reinforce... ). Is there any other change from the previous cards? (apart from the higher resolution)...

By the way, great work! I've already ordered the previous version of the cards to printerstudio and I'm eager to test the latest rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, there are now only 10 Overlord cards instead of 18 before, and Reckoning has been combined into other monster activation cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carroll Best
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nerdook for this!! I just got Descent 2 weeks ago and will probably have to play solo more than not, so this is fantastic!! I have to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this! Your variant is truly stellar work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Vales
msg tools
Great!!!
Could you share the empty cards please? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont know how to put these cards into a printable file

Can you post the LARGE sheets with 9 cards per file? I can print and cut those easily

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read over the new rules and this looks great!

One clarification required for town portals: initially it says to spend "a Fortune token to open a town portal", then under the Town Portal section it says to spend "three fortune tokens" - as a man of compromise I'm tempted to go with two

Also I think your new reinforcement system looks great. I'm a little worried at how difficult and filled the board will be given that an average of 4 health worth of monsters will be respawning per hero turn... That sounds really really hard to me. HOWEVER I think this is where you can introduce levels of difficulty into your game!!!

Untested example: (Act I RPs/ Act II RPs)
Dungeon Strolling - 1/2
Easy - 2/3
Normal - 3/4
Hard - 3/5
The Hordes! - 4/6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Delaney
United States
Friendswood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:
I read over the new rules and this looks great!

One clarification required for town portals: initially it says to spend "a Fortune token to open a town portal", then under the Town Portal section it says to spend "three fortune tokens" - as a man of compromise I'm tempted to go with two

Also I think your new reinforcement system looks great. I'm a little worried at how difficult and filled the board will be given that an average of 4 health worth of monsters will be respawning per hero turn... That sounds really really hard to me. HOWEVER I think this is where you can introduce levels of difficulty into your game!!!

Untested example: (Act I RPs/ Act II RPs)
Dungeon Strolling - 1/2
Easy - 2/3
Normal - 3/4
Hard - 3/5
The Hordes! - 4/6

I'm really excited to try the new reinforcement rules, because I personally wasn't crazy about how it worked in the previous version. Did you ever play the previous version?

Generally, a new monster would spawn EVERY TURN, regardless of health level. The only governing factor to slow down spawns was to run out of available monsters in the pool.

My hunch is this method will work out better, and I am excited to try it. Gotta withhold judgment until I've played it though, so we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Script updated:

http://cgi.lairoflith.com/nerdook-descent/index.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:

My mistake, it should be one token to respawn. Will update that in the next update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:

This looks so awesome... I'll use this while waiting for my cards to arrive. Have some geekgold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgos Maroufidis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Nerdook, great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stefaan gr33nbull
msg tools
Thank you Nerdook for your stellar work!
I tried it out today, but ran into some things that were not clear to me ( I'm new to Descent, only my second game ):

1/ On our first tile, we had group A Cave spiders. When we drew one Overlord AI card, it was for GroupB. Since there wasn't yet a group B, what happens then? No activation at all for the spiders?

2/ You mention in this thread that after a hero activated, a reinforcement token is added to the overlord. I can't find this rule however in the document...

In case someone else can answer these questions, please do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim YC
msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Yea, they don't activate at all. I am considering making it "Draw another AI Overlord card" if nothing happens at all, but that might make the game a lot harder.
2) Whoops, edited the post to be the same as the documentation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erawen Lowhunger
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your work kept me from pledging to Dwarg Saga on Kickstart (oke, I pledged a dollar).

Please, go on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Wasson
msg tools
My computer is out of commission currently. Do you or anybody else happen to have a link to a finished project so I can order a set of cards? It looks fantastic, BTW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pritchard
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any significance to the 5 in the bottom right of the Brief Respite AI card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören
msg tools
Great Solo-Variant! And looking forward to your Quick Campaign Rules.

Since most of your cards are final, is it possible, to get the raw files of these cards? I just would like to translate them Matches much better with my german copy of Descent, and some of my "board friends" would get a better understanding of what is going on, when I lend them the cards If you don't want to, it's okay, but it would facilitate the work.

EDIT: After a couple of days a little edit: I just found some card templates in the file section of BGG (i could swear, they were not there the first time i scrolled through there whistle ). For the Dungeon and Lieutenant Cards i just cutted out the text of your cards (didn't found any templates). So, translation is nearly done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erawen Lowhunger
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

What are the EXACT sizes of the cards in milimeters (probably measured to a 1/10th of a milimeter)?

So I can make ready to go files (with the help of nerdook) for the print-sites.
And what are good sites for card-printing?. I live in the Netherlands and I'm not familiar with these sites.

Edit ; never mind.
Found a site and uploaded a deck. Hope it looks nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo J.
Germany
flag msg tools
@Sören:

I would very much appreciate a link to download your translated cards. Would spare me the work to doing it myself. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören
msg tools
Yes, will do! I'm working on the last Dungeon Cards, and after that, I will do a couple of corrections. I'd like to think, that I'm done at the end of the week, though, the cards need to get in a nice and printable format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jac Jac
msg tools
mbmbmb
Great…I mean REALLY GREAT way to play Descent!!! We tried it yesterday and have so much fun.

But we have a question. What happen when the OL AI card says to reinforce a group which master monster is not yet in play. It happens a lot in the first tile…we decided to bring the reinforcement since the other way the AI deck fly away to fast and makes the AI to win tokens tooo easily…I mean the reinforcement wasn't easy but at least we were doing something!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.