United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I went to BGG and I all got was this Overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun Files:
The fun files are a brief strategy/summary of every character in the game. The focus is on finding what is fun about the character, along with a brief overview of their roles, some key cards and unique features. Along with this there will be a brief review of why I like the character and any thoughts on them. Hopefully it won't be too similar to other posts and will find value with new players looking to discover if they would enjoy a specific character.

Haka:
HP: 34
Power: Haka deals 1 target 2 melee damage
Role: Damage/Tank (DPS)
Complexity (From 1 to 3):
Unique Mechanic:Draw cards, then discard them for profit.
For those who like: Jungles, loincloths, Hulk

Key Cards:
Haka of Restoration:Draw 2 cards, then discard 1 or more cards. Regain HP equal to the number of cards discarded this way.

Punish the Weak: Whenever Haka would damage the non-hero target with the lowest hp, increase that damage by 1. Whenever Haka would damage any other target, decrease that damage by 1. Power: Destroy this card.

Dominion:
Whenever an environment card is destroyed, draw a card.

Fun Factor:
Haka is great for players who want options as to how they will punch the villain in the throat. He is a brilliant hero who is probably more self-sustaining than any other hero in the game, so players who value consistency will love Haka's consistent options and consistent health pool.

Strengths:
Card Draw: Haka draws more cards than anyone. He has a number of cards that let him draw multiple cards. He rarely is hurting for cards and will routinely have no problem discarding cards for his own effects or for villains. The big problem with Haka is you will commonly finish up games with 10-12 cards in your hand! So wasteful!

Weaknesses:
Ongoing Cards: Haka has no way of getting rid of troublesome ongoing or environment cards (unless they have hp, then he'll get rid of them with his fists).

Immune to Melee: Almost every single attack by Haka is melee, the only exception being a single card that takes some effort to get to work. Thus any villain with strong Melee damage immunities will be, essentially, immune to Haka.

Why I like him:
Haka is a well designed character. There's no way around it. He is powerful without being overpowered. He's consistent with his cards and his health. He won't die quickly and he can recover from mistakes. He's a great 1-star hero and I love playing him when I just want to punch things, repeatedly.

Final Thoughts:
Haka is possibly the most well-balanced character in the game, and he's a great character to start off with. He does take some thought to play as choosing what to discard is very important. But any player who wants a hero who they can have fun with, but who's still forgiving of mistakes, then Haka is their man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Dabrowski
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Unload is an Expatriette's card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SnipedintheHead
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the catch! It must not have caught when I edited it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the general assessment.

I disagree that Punish the Weak and Dominion are key cards. The first is pretty situational, and I usually find it makes it harder to do what I need to do. The second is OK but not really necessary, since the Haka of... cards already give you a lot of card draw and there is no way to use all the extra cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
... there is no way to use all the extra cards.
Hmm? What do you think you use for the Hakas?

(I do agree that Dominion is not really necessary.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SnipedintheHead
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
I agree with the general assessment.

I disagree that Punish the Weak and Dominion are key cards. The first is pretty situational, and I usually find it makes it harder to do what I need to do. The second is OK but not really necessary, since the Haka of... cards already give you a lot of card draw and there is no way to use all the extra cards.

I really should not label them "key cards" but rather "typical cards". It's not so much to give the people reading a key on what the best cards are, but just a general idea of what cards you might see that would shape the way the players play.

So yes, they're not so much "key cards" but "cards".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally almost never use Haka of Restoration. Haka of Battle, in the other hand. . .

Also Savage Mana is arguably one of his key cards. Build up for massive final attack while also declawing quite a few nasty villain effects that depend on their discard pile. I once manage to put every single one of Apostate's relics under there, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
catwhowalksbyhimself wrote:
I personally almost never use Haka of Restoration. Haka of Battle, in the other hand. . .

Same, damage to villains is almost always more valuable than one-shot self-healing. And I'd argue that he's no longer the hero with the best card draw.

Quote:
Also Savage Mana is arguably one of his key cards. Build up for massive final attack while also declawing quite a few nasty villain effects that depend on their discard pile. I once manage to put every single one of Apostate's relics under there, for example.

Also agreed. Taking cards out of the villain deck can be huge, and game-changing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SnipedintheHead
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You are correct. Again, I should change the name from Key cards to "Cards you might see in a deck that I'm also willing to type out the text for".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but you picked 2 of the least useful cards in his deck.

Also, why would you type out the text? Why not just copy paste from here?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AprCZHVK0QvtdDV...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SnipedintheHead
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but you picked 2 of the least useful cards in his deck.

Also, why would you type out the text? Why not just copy paste from here?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AprCZHVK0QvtdDV...

Did. Not. Know. That. Exists.

And yeah, you're right, I probably could've picked some better cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifton Williams
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weirdboy_1 wrote:

And yeah, you're right, I probably could've picked some better cards.

Love your work anyway! Keep it up! Keep them comin! Look forward to reading your posts, and I can't wait for the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weirdboy_1 wrote:
Did. Not. Know. That. Exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot understand why anyone would argue against the importance of Dominion to Haka's deck. He averages an extra 3-card draw per round with them. And he's fueled entirely by having excess cards! There's no way around it: If you ignore Dominion, you'll never see Haka's full potential.

But since the Fun Files are for sharing nifty, unique features of a hero, Haka's greatest strength comes from his continuous Ground Pounds.

1) Draw up his deck. It isn't terribly difficult. Just try to avoid using or discarding anything that you can possibly hold onto.

2) Play Ground Pound. You must discard 2 cards along with it, but you'll draw 1 in step 3 and, on average, 1 more per Dominion in play before your next turn. The environment plays at least 1 card per turn and cards like Prison Riot, Ancient Library, and Rift in Time contribute more here. Also, the environment has a habit of losing cards at about the same rate as they enter play (slightly more than 1 per round, on average). Thanks to environment decks having no one-shots, all their cards are destroyed at some time or other. Draw, Haka! Draw!

If you miss a card or two, you still have a 33% or 67% chance of drawing the Ground Pound you played on your previous turn. Other heroes that allow teammate card draw can fill in during times of duress.

3) Do it again. Haka can lock-down non-hero damage dealt for the rest of the game. The only real problem is the rare time that his Ground Pound is destroyed before his next turn, but that usually only leaves a brief moment for the villain to deal some damage. Over the course of the game, with the expected consistent damage output from villain and environment cards, that's not going to make much matter. Haka protects the team better than Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.