14 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Variants

Subject: GI Joe and Transformer Factions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Richards
msg tools
Greetings All!

This week I started dabbling in making My first custom card sets.
I started with my favorite fandoms, GI Joe and Transformers. With the format being a full 4 faction themed expansion.

Update!
Expanding outward adding more factions and 80's toy themes
Coming Soon
He-Man, Skeletor, The Evil Horde, She-Ra, Thundercats, Mum-Ra and the Mutants, and Slaughter's Marauders.

in total that's 12 Factions. That will fill some space in your geek box.

Sets ready for playtesting
Cobra v3
Decepticons
G.I. Joe
Dreadnoks

Bases (for all sets)

Here are the Unfinished Preview card sets for the other Factions.

Autobots
Evil Warriors (Skeletor)
Heroic Warriors (He-Man)
Evil Horde
She-Ra
Thundercats
Mumm-Ra and the Mutants

Sample

NOTICE!!!!!
All artwork in the following sets comes from Google image search and I claim no rights. the font on the Joe sets is called "Hauser" and the one on the transformers is called "Transformers Movie"

Updates:
8/30/14 Added the card blanks for preview. 9/7/14 Cobra Ver 2
9/10/14 Cobra test 1 removed,Added Decepticons test 1. 9/11/14 Base Test
9/13/14 Added Joes. 10/1/14 Added 'Noks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuno Kross
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
I love the idea but the cobra faction just plays to generic i don't feel a theme when i play with it. I think some cards need rebalanced mostly the minions the actions all seem find but like i said few fit a theme. Give the deck a play style so it feels like i'm playing an evil soldier faction. If you want ideas I have some but would rather you make a play style for factions sense this will be yours. Thanks for the work on this though i think its great start. The card frames are GREAT and I love it. keep working on this PLEASE! don't give up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Richards
msg tools
The First Cobra test was shot from the hip using abilities based on Character canon.
Added a new Cobra play test with different play style, using troopers as minions and most of the command types moved over to actions to effect them.

The Decepticon set should be posted by next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I'll print this one out next time I go to the print shop, excited to try your play test 2 deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Richards
msg tools
Added the Decepticons to the top post, Working on the Joes now.

I Also have plans to extend this set out further staying in the 80's toy theme. Here's a small peek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Richards
msg tools
Joe's are up in the main post now.

Next will either be Autobots or Dreadnoks. I'm still thinking what I want to do with the Autobots, But I already have a good idea for the 'Noks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
don't know when they'll get printed but I have them downloaded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Richards
msg tools
No new Playtests right now, but did add 7 new Preview sheets to the main post. Some of the Previews are not full sets yet.

I will try to have the Dreadnok playtest out this week, still thinking about what I want to do with the Autobots. I should also have a Preview of the "Special Mission Force" G.I. Joe set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Richards
msg tools
Dreadnoks are now up for playtest.
The 'noks set has a Divider for the geek box, I have them for all the sets, I'll upload them later.

Autobots will be up soon.

The second GI Joe team will be "Slaughter's Marauders"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Snow
msg tools
I love the Ideas for smash up you have it fits perfectly into the retro faction battle idea I mean that is the charm of smash up and one of the reasons I love this game is anything goes so it is fitting to see cobra and GI Joes I love it but those two in one deck would be nuts! I have some questions though.

1. What program did you use to make the cards and is it hard to use?
2. cobra is my favorite of the ones you made so my question is why is cobra trooper a 1 and not 2?
3. I think it would be funny if you had a couple dreadnok cards as killer teddy bears as the original idea for them was a bit funny

The Dreadnoks were originally meant to be a race of humanoid bears, to capitalize on the popularity of the Ewoks from the recently released Return of the Jedi. Larry Hama, writer of the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero comic book, was highly critical of the proposal, telling Hasbro "you can't have the good guys running around shooting at teddy bears."

found on wiki

ad last I would like to create a fairy deck that weakens other minions by it's own weak minions that add up while decreasing opponents power so any info a a card maker or program to use is creatly appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Richards
msg tools
Animelord wrote:

1. What program did you use to make the cards and is it hard to use?
2. cobra is my favorite of the ones you made so my question is why is cobra trooper a 1 and not 2?
3. I think it would be funny if you had a couple dreadnok cards as killer teddy bears as the original idea for them was a bit funny

1- I use Paint.net and GIMP to make the cards, And Serif PagePlus to lay the cards out on a single sheet and add all the text. Paint.net is easy to use but has some limits, GIMP can do more but is less user friendly. PagePlus is pretty simple to use, the free version can't save as a PDF.

2- That Cobra set is a Second revision, but is not a final. The troops are 1 because the idea is you either buff them up to be more powerful, or sacrifice them for other buffs. now that I have played with "Monster Smash" the next revision will use "+1 tokens".

3- I try to stay with the cannon and not the inside jokes, but I do reference some of the more silly things like "Cold Slither" the Dreadnok rock band, and "And now I know..." PSA riff in the Joe set. I even used the PSA from "Porkchop Sandwiches".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Snow
msg tools
Thanks for the help but is there a paint.net program for vista if not what else can I use?

Also I noticed one of the cards had a misprint it said form and not from
the other thing is viper training should say ongoing

lastly i think +1 counter is a good match for cobra as well I love stockpiling with Giant Ants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Richards
msg tools
Cobra 3rd edition is here!
After many playtests, the old Cobra deck lacked the punch to break bases in the late game, now the deck uses base wide +1 token buffs in place of "play on a minion" buffs.

also the last Item on the sheet is a divider for the geek box, I have them for all the sets, and will up them by the end of this project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
msg tools
I like the idea of 80's themed factions. You might want to unify the art on the cards more. You have way too many art styles. In particular the Heman/Skeletor/ Horde ones. You can find plenty of art done by the same people or at least similar styles. Check Heman.org or Deviantart. Either go all cartoon or none, don't mix. I would definitely get rid of the goofy looking ones like Tri Klops. IMO the different art styles are distracting.

The Autobot Hideout I believe is called The Ark. The Decepticons' crashed ship is called The Victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.