Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stupid basic rules question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am absolutely positive that this is a dumb question, but I need to ask it anyway.
I played only my second game of Carcasonne with two of my friends last night. We used just the basic set with the little river expansion and I have a question about basic scoring that doesn't seem to be clearly answered in the rules.

If someone places a tile so that a feature which doesn't already have any followers on it completes (this happened most frequently with tiny two tile towns or roads) can he then play a follower on this now just completed feature and immediately score it?

We did this in our game, but to me (and at least to one of my two friends) it "felt" wrong, but in looking at the rules we could see nothing that actually prohibited this. I was hoping to find something about it here but I haven't so far, which leads me to be believe it's a question so foolish that no one else has ever needed to ask it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cataudella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, according to the instructions, you can add the tile which say, completes a two-tile road or castle, drop your follower on it, score your points, and take your follower right back to your personal supply.

It does feel weird - kind of makes you wonder what's the point of putting the follower on the tile just to immediately take it off. We usually announce it after a while, and kind of do a swift hand motion for visual effect only. lol
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played without allowing this for our first several games. Then I played it on BSW and saw others doing it. (First I thought it was only in Hunters and Gatherers.) The rules aren't crystal clear and I am not sure it's not a better game without allowing it, but the common interpretation is that it's allowed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the rules are crystal clear about it, to the extent that they specifically point to an exception --when you complete a 2-tile city, you can place a meeple in it and take it off immediatly, but you'll only score two points. It then says that you can do the same for roads and score normally.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Murphy
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yes, this is allowed. Moreover, etiquette obligates one to clearly announce 'doink' while putting down the meeple and then picking it up again in order to signify to the others that, yes, you are aware that this is a cautious and uninteresting move, lacking in verve.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dipdragon wrote:
Carc: The Castle is explicit about placing meeples and scoring in the same turn, so I assume that it's allowed across all of the Carc range.


Actually, Carcassonne: The City does not allow this. It may be the only one in the series.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord3125 wrote:
If someone places a tile so that a feature which doesn't already have any followers on it completes (this happened most frequently with tiny two tile towns or roads) can he then play a follower on this now just completed feature and immediately score it?


The rules are actually very clear (underline added):
Carcassonne Rules (RGG) wrote:
Playing the Game
Players take turns in clockwise order beginning with the starting player. On a player's turn, he executes the following actions in the order shown:
1. The player must draw and place a new land tile.
2. The player may deploy one of his followers from his supply to the land tile he just placed.
3. If, by placing the land tile, cloisters, roads, or cities are completed, they are now scored.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dipdragon wrote:
dcorban wrote:
dipdragon wrote:
Carc: The Castle is explicit about placing meeples and scoring in the same turn, so I assume that it's allowed across all of the Carc range.


Actually, Carcassonne: The City does not allow this. It may be the only one in the series.


Then we seem to be playing two different sets of rules for the same game as my copy states in a box out:

Quote:
It is possible, in one turn, to place a Follower, to score it immediately and to retrieve it. To do so, it is necessary - in this order - to:
1 Complete a pathway, tower or dwelling by placing the current tile.
2 Place a Follower (according to the rules on page 3)
3 Calculate the score for the completed area
4 Retrieve the Follower.



Carc: The Castle (two player game) allows this.

Carc: The City (the posh one with the walls) doesn't.


N.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
fnord3125 wrote:
If someone places a tile so that a feature which doesn't already have any followers on it completes (this happened most frequently with tiny two tile towns or roads) can he then play a follower on this now just completed feature and immediately score it?


The rules are actually very clear (underline added):
Carcassonne Rules (RGG) wrote:
Playing the Game
Players take turns in clockwise order beginning with the starting player. On a player's turn, he executes the following actions in the order shown:
1. The player must draw and place a new land tile.
2. The player may deploy one of his followers from his supply to the land tile he just placed.
3. If, by placing the land tile, cloisters, roads, or cities are completed, they are now scored.


Well see now, maybe it's just me, but I didn't find that section of the rules to be all that clear.
However, looking at my rules again, I now see the exception section that other people were refering to. I blame my missing it last night on the late hour.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How are the rules not clear though? You place your follower before checking for and scoring completed features.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
J_Cat wrote:
Yes, according to the instructions, you can add the tile which say, completes a two-tile road or castle, drop your follower on it, score your points, and take your follower right back to your personal supply.

It does feel weird - kind of makes you wonder what's the point of putting the follower on the tile just to immediately take it off. We usually announce it after a while, and kind of do a swift hand motion for visual effect only. lol


As long as you exhibit that you actually *have* a follower in your supply, that's fine. Sometimes people get so carried away with the 'automtic' nature of scoring-and-retrieving that they (or their opponents) don't even check that they have a meeple to place-and-retrieve. If you don't have a meeple, you can't do this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Mr.Baggins wrote:
Actually, the rules are crystal clear about it, to the extent that they specifically point to an exception --when you complete a 2-tile city, you can place a meeple in it and take it off immediatly, but you'll only score two points. It then says that you can do the same for roads and score normally.


Note that not everybody plays that way; there have been several versions and rewrites of the rules, and 2-points-for-a-2-tile-city is not part of the 'current' (most recently printed) ruleset.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Note that not everybody plays that way; there have been several versions and rewrites of the rules, and 2-points-for-a-2-tile-city is not part of the 'current' (most recently printed) ruleset.


It is for the Rio Grande (English) editions. I find that this rule entices people from spamming little cities, which can make farmers even stronger than they already are.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We call doing this "bouncing" and always wanting a "bouncer" in reserve, rather than commiting your last guy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord3125 wrote:
Well see now, maybe it's just me, but I didn't find that section of the rules to be all that clear.
However, looking at my rules again, I now see the exception section that other people were refering to. I blame my missing it last night on the late hour.

Must just be you then! The steps are very clear!

I must admit though, in the beginning I didn't think it made sense either but grabbing "free" points by completing previously unoccupied features is a key part of Carcassonne. Welcome to the game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We call it instant gratification.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOHN JENSEN
United States
HILLSBORO
WI
flag msg tools
Ask me about it!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We call it IMR: Instant Meeple Retrieval

Carcassonne: The Discovery also does not have it. In that game, you either place a Meeple or retrieve it, so you cannot have IMR.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.