Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Collective - Merc- Updated rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Thompson
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
The second hero from The Collective, Merc. Merc is an ex-mercenary hired to kill the The Collective, but after sparing his life and promising to help him redeem himself, Merc joins The Collective, bringing in high-powered weapons, and tactical expertise. Merc also introduces a new type of card, Locations, which allow Merc to quickly change his approach to any situation.

Merc
HP: 29
Power: Precise Planning
-Search your deck and trash for a Location card, put it in play, if you searched your deck, shuffle it.
Nemesis: Count Down

Incapacitated Side
-one player may use a power now.
-reduce damage dealt to a hero target by 1, until the start of your next turn.
-destroy an environment card.

Weapon, Equipment, Limited

Ballistic Rifle (QTY 2)
-Power: Deal 1 target 3 projectile damage.

Grenade Launcher (QTY 2)
-Power: Deal 3 targets 2 fire damage.

Weapon, Equipment

Silenced 9mm (QTY 2)
-Power: Deal 1 target 1 projectile damage, reduce that targets damage by 1 until the start of your next turn.

Frag Grenade (QTY 3)
-Power: Deal all non-hero targets 2 fire damage, you may destroy and environment or ongoing. Destroy this card.

Clay-more (QTY 2)
-Whenever Merc would be dealt damage, negate that damage, Merc deals the source of that damage 2 fire damage then destroy this card.

Equipment, limited

Mini-Gun (QTY 2)
-Power: Deal all non-hero targets 1 projectile damage.

Missile Launcher (QTY 1)
-Power: Deal 1 target 4 fire damage, you may deal an additional target 1 projectile damage.

Location, Ongoing, Limited

High Vantage Point (QTY 1)
-Whenever this card enters play, destroy all other of your location cards in play. Increase damage dealt by Merc by 1. Reduce damage dealt to Merc by 1.

Flanking Position (QTY 1)
-Whenever this card enters play, destroy all other of your location cards in play. Whenever Merc deals a target damage, reduce that targets damage by 1 until the start of your next turn.

Up Close and Personal (QTY 1)
-Whenever this card enters play, destroy all other of your location cards in play. Increase damage dealt by and to Merc by 1. You may play an additional card during you play phase.

Ongoing, Limited

Dual Wield (QTY 2)
-You may use an additional power during you power phase.

Quick Escape (QTY 2)
-The first time each turn that Merc is dealt damage, reduce that damage by 1.

Perfect Shot (QTY 2)
-The first time each turn that Merc deals damage, increase that damage by 1.

Ongoing

Confirmed Elimination (QTY 2)
-Whenever Merc destroys a target, you may draw a card.

One-Shot

Payday (QTY 3)
-Draw 2 cards, play a card.

Emergency Med Kit (QTY 3)
-Merc regains 3 HP.

Blazing Glory (QTY 2)
-Deal all non-hero targets 3 fire damage. All hero targets regain 1 HP.

Re-Equip (QTY 2)
-Search your deck and trash for an weapon card, put it into play, if you searched your deck, shuffle it.

Who Needs Backup (QTY 2)
-Deal up to 3 targets 2 projectile damage. Deal up to 2 targets 1 projectile damage.

Down But Not Done (QTY 3)
-You may discard up to 3 cards from your hand, you may use that many powers now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack luck
msg tools
Re: The Collective - Merc
The first thing I see is that he uses a lot of powers, the second thing I see is that he only has a small number of guns to choose from, and the third thing is that if he already has a main power that lets him search out location cards, why have multiple copies of each. Know as far a his other cards and the character itself, I gotta say that I think they all work together very well, Merc will probably be the first character I test play, so i'll probably have some more comments coming up soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Thompson
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Re: The Collective - Merc
Like Live Wire, I am currently fixing his deck, I'm going to reduce the number of locations to one copy each, and add two more equipment cards, and powerful one that damages the villain target with the highest hp but in doing so, I'll probably lower sniper rifles damage down to 3 and lower grenade launcher to 3 targets 2 fire damage, and create a weaker gun that hits all non-hero targets for 1 fire damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Thompson
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Updated

MERC has now been updated, changed sniper rifle to ballistic rifle and lowered the damage. Grenade launcher's damage has been modified. Lowered each location number by 1 and added two new cards, his only two labeled weapon cards, mini-Gun and missile launcher. Please leave your comments below thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Nabbit
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust that you are beautiful.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the point of the "weapon" keyword? Is it to make those cards immune to Equipment destruction? I really think those should still be "Equipment" because there's no real reason they shouldn't be subject to Equipment removal, in my opinion. All other cards in all other hero decks are either Equipment, Ongoing, One-Shot, or a Target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Thompson
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
The reason for it is so he can't search them out with his 're-equip, it's the only cards he has to draw to play because their his best cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Thompson
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
But I am open to ideas if anyone has any

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my idea: Switch it around.

Call all of the Equipment Weapons. Call all of the Weapons Equipment except the Mini-Gun and Missile Launcher. Allow Re-equip to take a Weapon from the deck or trash. That way, they are all Equipment, satisfying Nyren's point but you can't pull out the best stuff with Re-equip, since you feel it's too strong to do so.

To the same point, I think that the Location cards should be Ongoings. Considering they can be recovered with a power usage that cannot be taken away, this isn't much of a drawback, but it gives the opposition some way to knock Merc out of his tower or back away when he's too close. It also gives the heroes something more to choose from when destroying X Ongoing cards ... and a pretty good choice, considering it can be recovered as easily as Nudist's animal Forms.

Also...

The incapacitated abilities say "damage" too many times and the second option is really strong. It'd be on par with incapacitated abilities if one target had a -1 damage dealt debuff.

Have you considered making the Clay-more Field a Location? I think it would provide more options for the base power. It is also weird that he should fight up close in a clay-more ridden area or that he'd deal more damage with the mines because he's on a rooftop. It makes sense that he'd need to move the fight to a prepared area in order to have the mines effectively spread out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Thompson
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
First off thanks, we haven't really thought about that for his weapons and 're-equip. As for the locations, they are ongoings I just forgot to put it on there. I'll alter the incapacitated side, didn't see the mistake. As for claymore field, I'll go over it with my group. Thanks for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Thompson
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I was thinking of making claymore field a weapon, equipment card and just calling it "claymore" with the following effect.
"whenever Merc would be dealt damage, negate that damage, Merc deals the source of that damage 2 fire damage then destroy this card." kind of like expatriates flak jacket, but it deals damage back.
unlike expats it will trigger with the next damage regardless of its damage dealer. any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That rendition of Claymore is less powerful than Tachyon's Synaptic Interruption, both in damage dealt (likely) and control of reaction timing. I see no problem with it.

Precise Planning and Re-Equip should refer to "trash" not "discard pile".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Thompson
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
thanks, I didn't see that. Do you have any other recommendations for Merc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.