Subject: Which expansion makes it less of a luck fest? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a particular expansion that makes this game less prone to luck deciding the outcome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a dice game.

You get what you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
This is a dice game.

You get what you get.

So is Troyes, is that also a "you get what you get"? Anybody familiar with the expansions have a real answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to turn choices > luck you should use the Highlander/Epic/whatever the name rules in the Quarriors! Quarmageddon expansion, where you cull the dice you score and score the dice you cull.

That way you'll avoid the whirlpool effect in the game when a player gets a Dragon or another huge creature.

But that will not remove the luck in the game, you can get a Dragon die but only roll mana with it. I see that as a part of the game. You can use a house rule similar to the re-roll rule present in Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men, but that's something I dislike in that game when compared with Quarriors!, I really like the luck present in Quarriors! and feel like a part in the game. The re-roll mechanism in Dice Masters is just a gimmick to make the game less dicey and more like a CCG. And if I want a Marvel CCG I'll just play VS System.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
Is there a particular expansion that makes this game less prone to luck deciding the outcome?
No.

It is a dice game. The outcome is always decided by luck. The expansions give you a greater variety of options to choose from, and create some interesting interactions that you can leverage in your "deck", but they do not impact luck in any appreciable way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, none of them make the game less luck-based. You picked the wrong game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Strawser
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Quarmageddon - it tweaks a couple of rules (culling scoring creatures, etc.) that make the choices more meaningful. But luck will always be a factor as it should be for a dice chucker!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know dice games are always going to have luck, but there are varying degrees of it - I love Roll Through The Ages for example, which is all dice rolling, but doesn't feel as prone to luck as say Yahtzee. Quarriors is a cool game, I was just wondering if any expansions push it a little more towards having actual strategy. From these responses, sounds like Quarmageddon is the only one that mitigates the luck of the dice a bit. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to play with my copy of Quartifacts, but it adds the choice of questing instead of direct conflict. I can't say that it helps with the luck issue, but it does offer more choice of what to do with your dice. Quarmegeddon adds rules that you can simply get in the files section, but otherwise its just more diversity for cards. Look into Quartifacts.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Cantwell

Central Point
Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quartifacts is the closest I think you could come with a strategy type element. You can get an upper hand on someone if you are completing quests regularly and getting those dice to help. But in the end, even with the questing mechanic, its still all about how you roll those dice. In my opinion its the best expansion for Quarriors. It might be the best expansion for what your looking for anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Romero
United States
Aiea
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the newest expansion, "Light vs. Dark," does what you're looking for. Unfortunately, it's difficult to combine with earlier expansions and the core because of all the changes. It is stand-alone and currently works best that way, imho.

Here's a list thingy:

--removes the problem of quiddity die overload and drought by making static quiddity dice that are always rolled.

--makes it more difficult to flood the field with creatures by having you roll fewer non-quiddity dice at a time.

--removes the basic gate spell and places the effect on one of the randomly chosen assistants, making it less of a ridiculous thing.

--adds effects that may ALWAYS be purchased from cards in the wilds, giving more options and utility to your extra quiddity.

--creates a faction-type system that encourages focusing on either light or dark to make most efficient use of quiddity.

I am really hoping that there will be a re-release of earlier cards updating them to the light vs. dark format, because it fixes a lot of problems. If not, I may do it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brown Fox
msg tools
Mr_Bickman wrote:

My knee jerk response to this is "no", but I do know what you mean about having a less lucky dice game.

The expansions don't really make the game any less lucky. They do however offer more choice in strategy, but in the end, each turn still boils down to how lucky your roll is.

During the design phase of the game, I feel they could have done a much better job at minimizing luck. Especially bad luck. Like spending 5+ quid on a die and getting unlucky by rolling 1 quid each time. I like to feel that when I invest in a better die, that the very worse I can do is slightly better than what I have. If they designed the game such that 4+ glory dice earned you at least 2 quid worst case and 8+ glory dice earned you at least 3 quid worst case that the game might be a little less painful on a bad turn.

Unfortunately, this painful aspect of bad luck can not be corrected in an expansion. It's how most of the creature and spell dice are made. It's happened far too many times that I reach in my bag and pull mostly non-basic dice and think, "yeah, this is going to be awesome". Only to roll a single quid on everything. I can't even purchase a better die because of such a crappy roll. Frustrating to say the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.