Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Surge Question - no place to put new monster [resolved] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We looked but don't see a rule to cover it so we just put the new monster next to the appropriate but full spawn spot.

I suppose another way would be to hold it from spawning until after the spawn spot was cleared by monsters moving away.

Is this in the rules but we missed it?

Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Quick Surge - no place to put new monster
Mac, was this a large creature that spawned? On which tile?

If everything is as you say, the minion simply isn't placed:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13759084#13759084
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Quick Surge - no place to put new monster
If there's a space for small minion on spawn spot, put it there. If there isn't, just don't put it. Someone suggested that large minion could squish small ones and show up instead of them - feel free to houserule :).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: Quick Surge - no place to put new monster
It's covered in the rules, if the spawn places are full, then you stop/don't spawn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Quick Surge - no place to put new monster
Sydcomebak wrote:
Mac, was this a large creature that spawned? On which tile?

If everything is as you say, the minion simply isn't placed:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13759084#13759084


Thanks!

Does anyone know what page this is on?

In your link, the designer said:
Quote:
You played it correct with one exception: If you get a surge and you do not have any open minion entry spaces, then the new minion simply isn't placed. You still move the hourglass though.


Yea, there was a roach on one spawn spot when the spider surged in chapter 2. We still had the rats on the first spawn spot because we won initiative. They rolled a cheese on their defense that prompted the surge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: Quick Surge - no place to put new monster
My mistake, not in the rules, but in the FAQ/Forums

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_forums/printthread.php?t=20...

18. And what happens when there's a surge and there aren't enough available minion entry spaces?
A-No place to put minions, they do not get placed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Quick Surge - no place to put new monster
squegeeboo wrote:
My mistake, not in the rules, but in the FAQ/Forums

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_forums/printthread.php?t=20...

18. And what happens when there's a surge and there aren't enough available minion entry spaces?
A-No place to put minions, they do not get placed.


Thank you! We were in a place without good internet so we were limited to the rule book.

Is there just a faq or is there a new rulebook updated PDF somewhere?

Thank you for the link to the faq!

Good lord! That's a huge faq!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I don't think there is an updated rule book, but the thing to remember with this game, is the game designers totally support house rules, and even have a few of their own that they play with. (The one I can remember, is if the last mouse on the initiative track kills the last minion, no cheese gets added to the wheel, instead of adding a cheese because at the end of the mouses turn no minions were left)

So, if you're unsure of what to do, just house rule it and keep on keeping on. If you're finding the game easy, house rule the harder choice, like peoples large minions squash a small minion to come into play, or if your getting your butts kicked, house rule the easier way, and say, no spaces no spawn. And just do that as needed.

It's a narrative co-op game, not a war or other pvp game, so tiny tweaks to the rules won't favor 1 team over another, cause you've only got 1 team.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
I don't think there is an updated rule book, but the thing to remember with this game, is the game designers totally support house rules, and even have a few of their own that they play with. (The one I can remember, is if the last mouse on the initiative track kills the last minion, no cheese gets added to the wheel, instead of adding a cheese because at the end of the mouses turn no minions were left)

So, if you're unsure of what to do, just house rule it and keep on keeping on. If you're finding the game easy, house rule the harder choice, like peoples large minions squash a small minion to come into play, or if your getting your butts kicked, house rule the easier way, and say, no spaces no spawn. And just do that as needed.

It's a narrative co-op game, not a war or other pvp game, so tiny tweaks to the rules won't favor 1 team over another, cause you've only got 1 team.


Unfortunately, almost everyone I play with has asbergers syndrome. They were rules lawyers before rules lawyers were cool. And it's not about winning or losing. It is about "playing it right!"

There is a bit of roleplaying going on but a long rules search slows things down. I'd even prepunched and preplayed it to speed things up.

I'm probably going to do the Risk: Legacy thing with the rules and the Faq.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:


Unfortunately, almost everyone I play with has asbergers syndrome. They were rules lawyers before rules lawyers were cool. And it's not about winning or losing. It is about "playing it right!"

There is a bit of roleplaying going on but a long rules search slows things down. I'd even prepunched and preplayed it to speed things up.

I'm probably going to do the Risk: Legacy thing with the rules and the Faq.



I hear that. I stopped playing Munchkins because of rules lawyers. I'm not sure what the Risk legacy thing is, but I guess the best course would be to read thru any/all FAQ threads you can find before your next game night.

The other two big ones seem to be:
1. Only 1 action per turn, not 1 action per mouse per turn.
2. The rules say you should spread out attacks to all mice eligible, and then only attack the highest mouse on the initiative order, that's not correct, you should just start again with that mouse, and then spread out attacks again. (ie, mouse 1/2/3 then 1/2/3 again, not 1/2/3 1/1/1 if there was 6 attacks that could all hit mice 1/2/3)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Semi-related question, so putting it here instead of new thread.
(Soloing a bit to grind the mechanics deeper into muscle memory, situation just came up)

"Cheese results always happen first", right? That mantra seems to be the basis for various Filch and Roach related rulings at least, as far as I could tell.

Edit: looks horrible, breaking huge sentence up

- Monster is blocking an entry space (all other entry spaces also blocked)
- Monster rolls a cheese on his defense, but the defense is insufficient, monster is going to die
- the cheese triggers a surge (large monster)

Result: The surge would be fully resolved (without monster placement due to lack of space) BEFORE the body hits the floor, correct?

Another Edit: Yes, it probably was Badwrong to shoot this monster in the first place (instead of trying to force the surge off another monster), the question is about "playing it right", not about strategy mistakes. whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.