Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roel van Tiel
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, just played a first game of Firefly yesterday and found myself flipping back to the rulebook quite some times. On some questions, we didn't find any answer, so hopefully someone can help me out there:

Is your captain part of your crew? So does he count towards the 6 total crew? We assumed he was, but couldn't find it anywhere.

If you have to kill crew (f.e. Reaver encounter), is that random or can you pick and choose which to kill? We assumed the last, but again, no ruling on it.

Is transport equipment that needs to be attached to a crew member (presumably yes) and if so, is the BFG mounted equipment attached to this transport or does it needs a crew member to operate? We assumed mounting would be enough, but I'm starting to doubt that assumption.

Are you free to move cargo/contraband/fuel/parts/passengers/fugutives between your cargo and stash areas or are those locations fixed and should they be emptied first before you can re-use them? We ran into this situation because at the start we put some fuel/parts in our stash (as we were concerned about raiding etc), only to discover that the stash should be exclusively reserved for contraband/fugutives later on.
We assumed we could (without action, in between turns). After all, it is your ship.

Anyway, even with those things the game flows quite nicely though 'The King of all Londinium' scenario is a drag as it requires quite high numbers in all three main resources (weapons, techs, negotiate)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sucrates wrote:
Is your captain part of your crew? So does he count towards the 6 total crew? We assumed he was, but couldn't find it anywhere.

The captain is a crew member for all purposes.

Quote:
If you have to kill crew (f.e. Reaver encounter), is that random or can you pick and choose which to kill? We assumed the last, but again, no ruling on it.

Your choice, unless some card says otherwise (such as the crewmember whose "power" is that he must be killed first).

Quote:
Is transport equipment that needs to be attached to a crew member (presumably yes) and if so, is the BFG mounted equipment attached to this transport or does it needs a crew member to operate? We assumed mounting would be enough, but I'm starting to doubt that assumption.

The Transport keyword usually comes from equipment, although the captain Marco also provides it, as does the ship upgrade "Skyhook". The BFG is equipment, and must be attached to a crewmember. If your Transport is also equipment, BFG must be attached to another crewmember than the one carrying the Transport (unless the crewmember can carry more than one equipment, for instance in the case of Jayne).

Quote:
Are you free to move cargo/contraband/fuel/parts/passengers/fugutives between your cargo and stash areas or are those locations fixed and should they be emptied first before you can re-use them? We ran into this situation because at the start we put some fuel/parts in our stash (as we were concerned about raiding etc), only to discover that the stash should be exclusively reserved for contraband/fugutives later on.
We assumed we could (without action, in between turns). After all, it is your ship.

You can freely move items between your stash and cargo at any time; the only time it matters is when you are boarded (when using the P&BH expansion) or stopped for a Customs Inspection, and you can move things around immediately before resolving either of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sucrates wrote:

If the Transport is gear, yes, it needs to be attached to (or "Carried" by a Crew member). If it is a ship upgrade, no.

As noted, the BFG needs a second Crew member to Carry it. Think of it as one guy is driving the Mule (or whatever) while the second guy is operating the gun.

Note that something like Burgess's Laser (which says "Requires X to Carry" rather than just "Requires X") is a little different. In this case, the actual Crew member Carrying it would have to meet the criteria of X rather than just the player's ship/crew in general.

For example, if the BFG read "Requires Transport to Carry" instead, it could only be used by a handful of Crew - Marco (who has Transport on his card) or Jayne, Jubal, or the Grange Brothers, who would all have to be first Carrying a Transport gear card, then the BFG.

In this case, a Transport ship upgrade (like the Sky Hook, wouldn't help either.

Although it's not particular effective, I think my favorite use of the BFG is to play it when discarding Wild Horses, so you wind up with the gun being dragged behind a bunch of skittish horses... and that's what makes this game great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Although it's not particular effective, I think my favorite use of the BFG is to play it when discarding Wild Horses, so you wind up with the gun being dragged behind a bunch of skittish horses... and that's what makes this game great.

Gee, and I was more picturing a classic Artillery Caisson in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sure. But as cobbled together by Kaylee and Jayne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For stash, the rule is that you only need to know which goods/people are in stash rather than cargo when a game effect checks - so my personal ruling would be that whenever something happens that cares about what's where, you get an opportunity to rearrange your stuff just before whatever it is raids your hold (so you don't need to spend time rearranging if the piracy job fails, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Sure. But as cobbled together by Kaylee and Jayne.

gives new meaning to the term "Grav-Boots" (or in this case, Grav-(horse)Shoes)laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
You can freely move items between your stash and cargo at any time; the only time it matters is when you are boarded (when using the P&BH expansion) or stopped for a Customs Inspection, and you can move things around immediately before resolving either of these.

I would argue otherwise. Once you have drawn the Nav card it is like playing a Job card, it is too late to swap equipment around between crew at that point.

AFTER any Nav card is resolved you can move them freely. But once you pull that card you do the encounter "as is".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I agree with that... but I could be convinced.

What are you basing that on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDave2176 wrote:
Radulla wrote:

I would argue otherwise. Once you have drawn the Nav card it is like playing a Job card, it is too late to swap equipment around between crew at that point.

AFTER any Nav card is resolved you can move them freely. But once you pull that card you do the encounter "as is".

As you are allowed to move cargo/contraband/fuel/parts around between Hold and Stash when you are attacked by a Pirate attack in P&BH I can't see much different between that and encountering something (i.e. Customs Inspection) in the Nav decks, in fact thematically you'd think you'd have more time to do this while delaying the customs officials than you would have when defending your ship from attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, it seems I did conflate the P&BH rule on cargo/stash with customs inspections in the base game, when it is not explicitly stated in the rules that they operate in the same way.

Take a moment, however, to consider what not allowing switches to be made on the fly brings to the game.

1. An excuse for AP prone players to shove cardboard around for an extra thirty seconds before every single move action.

2. Nothing else.

I know how we'll be playing it at my table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BeerAndBoard wrote:
MrDave2176 wrote:
Radulla wrote:

As you are allowed to move cargo/contraband/fuel/parts around between Hold and Stash when you are attacked by a Pirate attack in P&BH I can't see much different between that and encountering something (i.e. Customs Inspection) in the Nav decks, in fact thematically you'd think you'd have more time to do this while delaying the customs officials than you would have when defending your ship from attack.

But during piracy the defender has the "luxury" of the attacker making a boarding action before the SHOWDOWN. You are aware of them coming.

Once an action starts you can't change the setting for it (switching gear, moving out crew to participate) and so I see this as a situation like that. Once the encounter happens you cannot take time to shuffle things away. You got busted with your pants down.

That's my rationale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 2 of the FAQ explicitly shows an example of switching gear on crew as response to a nav card. The FAQ did solidify the idea that gear must be assigned to a crew member if it is to be counted for tests on the ship, which wasn't exactly how the rule book explained it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're not talking about equipment. We're talking about cargo, contraband, fugitives, passengers, fuel and parts.

There's nothing in the rules or rulings to suggest that restrictions on equipment should apply to any of these... and making players settle the states of their holds in advance can only slow play, while adding no significant depth.

IMHO. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was responding to the post directly above mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
I was responding to the post directly above mine.

I was responding to that post as well... sorry, could have been clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, this is NOT a theoretical objection on my part. The fourth or fifth time one of my friends moved fuel out of his stash and replaced it with passengers, I said, "Bones! Ferchrisake... Leave that alone, you can switch it around if a situation warrants it!"

He said, "Oh, okay..." and we eliminated some five minutes of downtime per game. That stuff adds up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to remember - aside from fugitives and contraband, is there anything that can be protected by the Stash outside of a Piracy Job?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDave2176 wrote:
BeerAndBoard wrote:
MrDave2176 wrote:
Radulla wrote:

But during piracy the defender has the "luxury" of the attacker making a boarding action before the SHOWDOWN. You are aware of them coming.

Once an action starts you can't change the setting for it (switching gear, moving out crew to participate) and so I see this as a situation like that. Once the encounter happens you cannot take time to shuffle things away. You got busted with your pants down.

That's my rationale

Nah - disagree. The 'moving stuff around before a Pirate attack' (you obviously have more experience with pirates than me, as far as I am concerned a surprise pirate attack by another ship would give me less time to do shit than a comms announcement by an customs ship that they wish to board your ship) and 'assigning gear before Nav card tests' mechanics is all I need in this simple game to play it the same way for the Customs Inspection card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't so many real surprise attacks in the black. Jubal Early gets a bonus to showdowns because thematically, he was the only person to ever truly surprise the crew. Other pirates and feds usually either were stalled over comms while the crew stashed stuff, or kept the other side of the airlock before talking their way in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M. Cabal Inés
Spain
Oviedo
Principado de Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse, I know is a little OT, but I was looking for the FAQ and other help resources for this great game and I can't find any neither in its web neither in the BGG.

Please, would you mind to show me where to find theres?

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The FAQ is on the official site - firelythegame.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.