Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I’ve got $200 to spend on games at gamesparadise.com.au. I could use a little help picking a game but don't know where to start. So I thought I’d ask the community. Come play along if you like.

I like playing games that are thematic, tell a story, have a fun new mechanic and fun!

Heres a few I like:
Battlestar Galactica, Power Grid, Chaos of the Old World, Acquire, Space Alert, Space Hulk, Catan, Netrunner, Mage Knight, Arkham Horror, Runewars, Eclipse, Mansions of Madness, Galaxy Truckers, Ghost Stories, Race for the Galaxy, Summoner Wars.

Games I’m thinking about:
Robin Curusoe, Terra Mystica, Mage Wars

I know this a bit vague, but I’d like to hear what you think is out there that I might have missed! What do you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars (but must invest some time with a regular playing buddy to play it)
Rune Age + expansion
Elder Sign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass: Lancashire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players? What's the max playtime for you?

Some of my favorites in addition to BSG and RftG.

Core Worlds (2-5 players, ~90min) - a thematic space game with deck building, resource management (actions, energy, cards) and sense of progression (mostly unique cards come from 5 separate decks during the game). I'll provide a longer description on request. :-)

A Game of Thrones, 2nd ed. (3 or 6 players, 3-4 hours) - conflict, scheming, bluffing, alliances, backstabbing, strategy. Add Feast for Crows to play with 4 (2-3 hours).

Android (2-5 players, 4+ hours) - A really thematic bladerunnerisque world where your character with their unique mechanisms try to outdo the other characters in proving their hunch in a murder investigation, uncover a larger conspiracy and/or try to achieve a happy life despite their work, all the while avoiding their past demons. Each character plays differently, and there is a lot of freedom in where you're going to gather your points. I wish I could get this played more than once a year, if that. I'll provide a longer description on request. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not hesitate to pull the trigger for Robinson Crusoe

What about a few deck builders? Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game I have the Marvel version and am definitely getting Encounters when it finally gets released in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FinalAttack wrote:

Games I’m thinking about:
Robin Curusoe

Get it! It perfectly matches your description.

What about Eldritch Horror? It's a game I'm definitely going to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jdoki wrote:
What about a few deck builders? Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game I have the Marvel version and am definitely getting Encounters when it finally gets released in the UK.

I agree! And Legendary Encounters and an optional hidden traitor mechanic (since you like Battlestar Galactica).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have no idea when will it hit stores (they're delivering to KS backers now), but check out Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients and Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death. There's not even a single day that I fail to think about this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lap Ho Cheung
United States
Aiea
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I owned and loved Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. But I think you will like Castaways more. It have a very strong story in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cam here to add Power Grid, which you own, so I'll suggest

+1 Brass
+1 Eldritch Horror

Obviously any Power Grid or Arkham Horror expansions that you don't own.

Missing from your list:

Tales of the Arabian Nights, which I prefer to Agents of SMERSH because your decisions seem more in character and less automatic. This could be because I've played TotAN more and haven't learnt to decode the choices in AoS.

Speaking of AoS, don't buy Age of Steam, buy one of the 18xx clones: Poseidon is a good start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Star Realms
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Thebes
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Cultures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jarvin
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia is really great. Two player, scenario based. The humans are a party of criminals led into a network of tunnels by a Holy Redeemer, in order to combat the ancient evil that stirs there. They have limited resources and no reinforcements, but are generally. much more powerful. The demons constantly reinforce, have numbers on their side and can use an array of nasty stuff(drawn from cards) to stop the warriors.

It features a really neat mechanic wherein the humans roll dice and place them into their character sheet. That determines your line of action(movement, attack and defense). When the warrior in question gets hit, a line of action is cancelled and can no longer be used. If you need to place a dice in the spot in the future, then the warrior is exhausted. The dice also allow the Redeemer to use his powers(heal, shield of faith, etc...)

Anyway, this one hits the table a lot with my buddy and I. I consider it Space Hulk done right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.