Fidelitas» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A short review of the Print and Play version from the KS campaign. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Flores
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fidelitas is a great short game which involves a decent amount of both luck, in the drawing of cards, and skill, in the knowledge of the deck. The ruling powers in Fidelitas have made the townspeople very unhappy and a rebellion is brewing. By gaining the trust of the many guilds and important townfolk, players can be the spark that starts this fire.
Players aim to complete missions by moving colourful characters around the fictional medieval town, and gathering certain combinations in buildings to win points. The aim is to be to first player to score a certain number of points.
Having used the Kickstarter campaigns great Print and Play feature I have been able to play around 10 2-player games.

The basic rules of Fidelitas are similar to most hand management games. Players are dealt two Missio cards (the missions they aim to complete) and 2 Virtus cards (the action cards used to complete objectives). In a turn a player will play one Virtus card, fulfil its action, check to see if a Missio has been completed and draw a new card or cards.
Virtus cards contain characters which belong to one of the towns 9 different guilds, and they can match to one of 8 building locations. For example, the Baker belongs to the Artisan guild, of which the Bakery and the Butchers are both a part of! Some guilds don't have matching buildings, which mixes things up a bit.
The Missio objectives are what really gives the game its theme of starting a rebellion. To gain the trust of a guild or a member of the town, you must prove your worth by secretly gathering members of different, or sometimes, matching guilds at specified locations. You'll want to keep these objectives hidden from other players who may interfere with your card movement!
The actions on Virtus cards enable players to move cards around the buildings. A Virtus card must be played to a matching guild building (there are some exceptions) and the action it performs could involve moving a card from one location to another, removing cards from the field of play to the discard pile, or drawing new cards to your hand. My favourite card is the Soldier, he is able to be played to any location and can send another card at that location elsewhere. I can just imagine a Soldier interrupting a secret meeting at the Market Hall, causing the Professor to slink away back to the Library before getting caught! If enough unwanted attention is attracted at one location and 3 soldiers are found there, the building is 'cleared' and all cards sent to the discard pile. This can really mess up your opponents'' plans!
The final aspect of Fidelitas is the Tavern location. This is used as both a place to draw face-up cards from (Similar to the discard piles on Lost Cities) and as a way to switch an unwanted Missio card for a new one.

Pros:
thumbsup The art used in the game is really great and quite unique in my opinion. It has a Disney feel to it which would appeal to younger gamers but still has some strong realism to it.
thumbsup The rules are easy to pick up, I've taught the game to two people (one non-gamer, my own mother!) and they both picked up the main mechanic within the first game.
thumbsup A great 2-player game, I usually only play games with one other person and the balance of Fidelitas feels just right.
thumbsup A good number of missions which can be swapped for another in game means that every game will be different, increasing replayability.

Cons:
thumbsdown Personally I enjoy high conflict games and I think Fidelitas is a great example of a game where the ability to hide one's true motives comes in very handy. But I know a lot of player's who don't enjoy this aspect of games, and I feel they would be quickly left behind in Fidelitas.

For the current pledging price I think this is a great addition to any gaming library. It's fun, easy to teach and looks great!

I give Fidelitas 7/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this good review. I'm really looking forward to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotarski
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review, Adam! Glad you enjoyed the game. I, top, really like the game as a two player game as it plays fast and you can really pay attention to what your opponent is doing.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob frapples
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my print and play files today. The artwork is high res top notch and backs up perfectly. Printed and laminated copy ready to play tonight. Sometimes working at a printers has its perks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.