Subject: Spielwiese rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
How are people playing Spielwiese?

Spielwiese wrote:
Reveal 2 Occupations from the deck and add them to your hand. Look at the player size number in the box on the left of each card (either 1, 3, or 4). You may immediately take as many different Building resources as indicated by the smaller of the two numbers.

PASS LEFT

A couple of things about this card don't sit right with me. It seems to assume that you've dealt Occupations from a single deck but this may not be the case (e.g. we may have taken three from the E-deck, three from WM, plus one from Bielefeld). So we just pick a deck to draw from, and make sure it's a big enough pile of Occupations that you can't guarantee what you're going to get (e.g. not just Bielefeld Occupations alone). This isn't a big problem, and we've encountered it before with the K-deck's Broom, among others.

The second part of the card could have a different effect with differing numbers of players, presumably intentionally. In a 2-player game, we've already separated out the 3+ and 4+ Occupations, so we'd never draw those and would only ever get 1 Building resource from the card. Is that how the card is supposed to work, or does anyone think there should be a chance of drawing 4+ cards too? Is the intention to make a huge deck of all existing Occupations and draw from that? Getting four different Building resources from this cheap Improvement would be a bit good in 2-player games.

On the other hand, in 4-player games sometimes we deal out a higher proportion of 4+ cards initially. (We've seen the 1+ cards plenty of times and it's more interesting to try out cards we've had less experience with.) Spielwiese doesn't take into account the different methods of distributing Occupations.

I'm all for pushing the envelope with new cards but I'm not keen on cards referring to things external to the game like this. Given that there are different ways to set the game up, any card referring to how the game has been set up will not perform as intended under all circumstances. I'd be interested to find out what the designer's expectations were for this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
I'd be interested to find out what the designer's expectations were for this card.

I think s/he expected it to make up the numbers and found inspiration at the bottom of a barrel armed with a large scraper. Some of the smaller decks need to be severely edited before being played in a serious game, I find. Some of the larger decks too, but with the greater number of cards the incidence of craziness is lower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the designer is simply assuming that you are playing with a single large deck of occupations that includes whatever expansions you are using in this game. The card doesn't really contemplate that you're taking some cards from each of several decks. In fact I think it's safe to assume that all cards pretty much assume that you're just getting 7 random occupations from one big deck with no drafting or any other optional mechanisms.

I don't think you're going to find an official rule for this situation, because the you're technically playing under a house rule, and it's the house rule that is causing the problem. Honestly, I'd just make a decision about how you want to play it ahead of time. It doesn't really matter what the rule is as long as everyone knows. If it were me I'd probably let players draw from whatever deck they want.

As for the number of players on the cards, again I think that the designer is assuming that your deck only includes cards that are allowed for the number of players you actually have. This is an issue that's come up in my house games because we often us a lot of 4+ cards in 3 player games, so we just house ruled that you can't get more than 3 resources. In a 2er game I'd say that you can't get more than 1 resource, even if you have other cards in your deck. (Someone getting 3 or 4 bonus resources could pretty much end the game right there if the players are good enough.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.