Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the arrival of John, the group couldn't resist his please for a game of Bluff. I excused myself to take care of some business, but rejoined them for a fantastic game of Funkenschlag. Ashton departed, leaving five of us for this excellent game from Friedemann Friese.

When choosing the regions that would be in play, we were all surprised when Lenny actually selected the 'Ice' island. All of my previous games had omitted this territory. Ultimately, Lenny made this territory one of his primary goals and it served him extremely well.

Everyone was made aware of the potential power of the 'wind' plants, so they were hotly contested in most of the auctions in which they appeared. The wind plant that can supply three cities went for an astonishingly high price of $37. When all players are aware of the potential value of the wind plants and bid accordingly, it really does help prevent one player from grabbing a nearly insurmountable lead by using the 'wind plant' strategy.

The game was excruciatingly tight and tense. All of us were in competition for the lead. I managed to break ahead of the pack during the second phase, but, of course, this meant I usually had the last opportunity to purchase commodities. What assisted me tremendously was the fact that there were very few uranium plants in production, so I was usually able to purchase the resources my plant required at reasonable prices.

As the game drew to a close, I was on the verge of winning. However, the resources I required to successfully supply all of my plants were being depleted before I had the opportunity to purchase them. I literally went two complete turns on the verge of winning, but just couldn't acquire the necessary resources. This allowed my opponents to close the game and make the ending dramatically close. I finally managed to get another uranium plant on the final turn and purchase the required resources, successfully supplying 19 cities, one more than required by the game end rules. However, both Clyde and Lenny also managed to supply 19 cities, so the winner would be determined by remaining cash. Clyde only had $3 remaining, but both Lenny and I tied with $19 remaining! A tie!

Finals (with cash in parenthesis): Lenny 19 (19), Greg 19 (19), Clyde 19 (3), Ian 18, John 18

Ratings: John 9, Greg 8.5, Lenny 8, Ian 8, Clyde 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.