tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Drew, do you have any thought of your own on the video?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
I hate performance art. I never get it.

A blue wall with subtle hectic movement. The exhausted moaning reminiscent of utter despair. "The Green Death" is the artistic work of the century. A must see for any connoisseur of video installations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

A blue wall with subtle hectic movement. The exhausted moaning reminiscent of utter despair. "The Green Death" is the artistic work of the century. A must see for any connoisseur of video installations.

But what does it "mean?" What is the artist trying to tell me? I just wish they'd give me more of a starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So what most of us consider "blue" Drew considers "green". I'm pretty sure that explains a great deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
But what does it "mean?" What is the artist trying to tell me? I just wish they'd give me more of a starting point.

Drew doesn't like art to have meaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Try the alternative title: 'Bonfire of the Goose Steppers'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ah, who doesn't love unintended consequences? Especially the ones that cost the USA $1.6 billion and Google somewhere north of $150 million bucks. Just to fry birds.

At least Google can afford it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Ah, who doesn't love unintended consequences? Especially the ones that cost the USA $1.6 billion and Google somewhere north of $150 million bucks. Just to fry birds.

I know, right? What was wrong with our old-fashioned way of killing birds by just spewing fumes into the air? Kids just don't know how good it was back in the old days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

I know, right? What was wrong with our old-fashioned way of killing birds by just spewing fumes into the air? Kids just don't know how good it was back in the old days...

I guess irony is a too subtle for people who live in Utah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
DWTripp wrote:

I guess I'll see you at the KFC protest next week, since Drew and you are so concerned about birds getting fried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

I guess irony is a too subtle for people who live in Utah.

A commentary on subtlety... from someone who thought my statement was uberearnest....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Truthbomb:

Quote:
Two former U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service investigators tell National Review Online that the federal government acted with a bias, giving renewable-energy companies a pass on unlawful bird deaths while rigorously prosecuting traditional energy companies for the same infractions.

“If birds were electrocuted or in oil pits, we prosecuted those companies,” says Tim Eicher, a special agent who handled cases involving migratory birds, eagles, and endangered species until his retirement three years ago. But the Fish and Wildlife Service “has drunk the Kool-Aid on global warming,” Eicher tells NRO. When it comes to wind- and solar-energy companies, “the end, to them, justifies the means: They’re saving the planet, and if eagles die in the process, so be it.”

Dominic Domenici, a former Fish and Wildlife Service investigator who worked with Eicher in Wyoming, says the bias is obvious because, when unlawful bird deaths occur, the federal government “prosecutes everything except for wind and solar — and they give [those renewable companies] permits” for bird-killing. That bias, Domenici says, is “top-down” within the Fish and Wildlife Service.

“They have chosen to do everything they can to make wind energy look perfect,” Domenici says. He adds: “I think they just want an alternative energy so badly that they’re prepared to turn a blind eye on all the bad parts of it. And it may be the best thing in the world, and it may be the answer — but they still need to enforce the laws to put the incentives [against bird-killing in place].

Potential bias in the enforcement and prosecution of bird deaths has piqued the interest of the House Natural Resources Committee, which in March subpoenaed the case files for all Obama-administration investigations conducted under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act or the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act.

But to date, the Fish and Wildlife Service has not provided all of the records, says the committee’s press rep, Michael Tadeo.

“Our subpoena has not been fully complied with,” Tadeo says. “The documents we have received have been heavily redacted, and the administration continues to stonewall us on this issue.”

This administration stonewalling? How unusual!

So why didn't you lead with that instead of some abstract whateverthatwas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Truthbomb:

Quote:
Two former U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service investigators tell National Review Online that the federal government acted with a bias, giving renewable-energy companies a pass on unlawful bird deaths while rigorously prosecuting traditional energy companies for the same infractions.

“If birds were electrocuted or in oil pits, we prosecuted those companies,” says Tim Eicher, a special agent who handled cases involving migratory birds, eagles, and endangered species until his retirement three years ago. But the Fish and Wildlife Service “has drunk the Kool-Aid on global warming,” Eicher tells NRO. When it comes to wind- and solar-energy companies, “the end, to them, justifies the means: They’re saving the planet, and if eagles die in the process, so be it.”

Dominic Domenici, a former Fish and Wildlife Service investigator who worked with Eicher in Wyoming, says the bias is obvious because, when unlawful bird deaths occur, the federal government “prosecutes everything except for wind and solar — and they give [those renewable companies] permits” for bird-killing. That bias, Domenici says, is “top-down” within the Fish and Wildlife Service.

“They have chosen to do everything they can to make wind energy look perfect,” Domenici says. He adds: “I think they just want an alternative energy so badly that they’re prepared to turn a blind eye on all the bad parts of it. And it may be the best thing in the world, and it may be the answer — but they still need to enforce the laws to put the incentives [against bird-killing in place].

Potential bias in the enforcement and prosecution of bird deaths has piqued the interest of the House Natural Resources Committee, which in March subpoenaed the case files for all Obama-administration investigations conducted under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act or the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act.

But to date, the Fish and Wildlife Service has not provided all of the records, says the committee’s press rep, Michael Tadeo.

“Our subpoena has not been fully complied with,” Tadeo says. “The documents we have received have been heavily redacted, and the administration continues to stonewall us on this issue.”

This administration stonewalling? How unusual!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have any experience with sonic bird repellents? I had seen ads for those a while back as a way to keep birds and bats away. Never got one, so I am wondering if anyone else has tried it. If they work, seems like an easy fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

First off.. let me say that is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. Good find.

An actual death ray. I felt about the same as when I watch a chain gun in operation.

Secondly, I wonder if that's typical or if that's the worst case minute out of a year because at that rate, it would kill just under three million birds a year (365day/year*480min/day*17/min). (edit- I counted 17 during the 55 seconds after initially saying 3/min).

Third and finally, that's an extreme selective pressure! I'd expect some kind of adaption within a fairly short period of time since birds have a generation every year. Insects even faster since they have many generations per year.

Perhaps they could be helped along with some kind of identifying noise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2198024
Quote:
To recap, about 46,000 avian mortalities were associated with wind farms across the United States in 2009 but nuclear plants killed about 458,000 and fossil-fueled power plants almost 24 million, estimates illustrated by Figure 2. Figure 2 also reveals how the number of absolute birds killed by wind energy pales in comparison to other causes such as
windows and cats.

http://climatecrocks.com/2013/05/20/why-coal-and-nuclear-pla...
via
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2198024

The numbers for bird deaths varies
http://blog.sfgate.com/energy/2014/08/20/this-solar-power-pl...

321 from january to june by the industry (can you say "skeptical" I sure can) ... close to 28,000 estimated by the AP. Even the 28,000 is way under nuclear and coal deaths per megawatt. They just kill in less spectacularly visible ways. Apparently a lot of birds die from flying into the mirrors too. Nationally, bird deaths from feral cats and windows and many other things is much higher than solar power deaths.

The 2 bird per minute seems to come from this exact story..so looking up the power generation...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivanpah_Solar_Power_Facility

It is supposed to produce 392 megawatts.

Interesting: In 2014, the number of kills rose exponentially, with estimates ranging between 1,000 and 28,000.[41] The wide variance in estimates may be because some of the deaths were insects lured to the light source.

In any case, solar bird kills are background noise compared to feral cats and windows (and probably predatory birds).

Hmm. Less posting and more vacation unpacking now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I prefer poison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.