Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: How difficult is this to learn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Turn to the Dark Side
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played any Legendary games, or any deck building games. This really interests me due to the Aliens theme. I'm just wondering how difficult is it to pick up on - I think I could really get into this. I'm also a little nervous after reading about what a headache it is to sort those 600 cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
@:)
msg tools
I had no experience with deck building games, having only played LOTR LCG and other FF games.

This was super easy to pick up, I read the rulebook and watched the demo vids from gen con on YouTube and after playing it once on my own I had most of the mechanics down. It's nice since you can also teach someone by playing a solo game so they can watch and follow along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turn to the Dark Side
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played any Legendary game either, but was able to pick this up very quickly. I read through the rules once and was pretty much able to go. So, maybe 20 minutes or so?

It definitely takes longer to sort the cards then it is to learn how to play, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turn to the Dark Side
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting to sound better and better! Maybe I'll have to give it a go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthReich wrote:
Starting to sound better and better! Maybe I'll have to give it a go!

I've played a few deck building games before Alien came along;

Dominion
Resident Evil
Thunderstone
Ascension
Legendary: Marvel

...and then now obviously Legendary: Encounters. There are a lot of common mechanics that tie these games together, and if you've played one of them, it makes learning new ones somewhat easier, because you know what to expect.

If you've played Legendary: Marvel, you'll have Alien down in like 5 minutes.

I know you said you're new to the whole genre, so I'm mentioning all of this to inspire you to check out other titles in the genre if you have fun with Alien. Marvel will be the closest experience, but beyond that I would recommend the Thunderstone: Advance series.

Alien is pretty simple to play, and actually setting it up is the only real complexity (beyond sorting it initially, of course) you should encounter. Once the scenario is rolling, it gets pretty repetitive, but in a good way. After 3-4 turns, you'll have the whole routine down.

I recommend you run it solo a couple of times to get your feet wet before you introduce it to a group. If you're new to the genre, this will help you get the flow down, and you'll have an easier time teaching it thusly.

I'll tell you this; if you play each "movie scenario" as directed, even solo, you'll have a grand thematic time. Though the game plays the same in each movie, it certainly "plays out" much differently, and they all have their own flavour.

Most of the "rules" are actually contained on the cards in play, which is great; just follow the directions on the cards as they come into play, and you'll keep moving along. There shouldn't be a lot of rules referencing if you follow this easy process;
1)Unpack the cards
2)Use the page towards the end of the rulebook to sort them all out and make sure everything is where it should be. If you're not sure, read the bottom of each card carefully for small text that indicates where it goes; in particular, the Facehugger shows up in the Hatchery, Strike, Drone, and "They Mostly Come at Night -2" decks, so don't get mixed up.
3)Read the rulebook
4)Put together the first game the rulebook recommends, using the Gunner avatar, and play solo (1 Player).
5)Start playing, take it slowly, turn by turn, referencing the player aid on the back cover of the rulebook, and look up further clarifications as needed.

By the time you finish the scenario (win or lose), I can't imagine you having much trouble understanding the game. Honestly, this game really lends itself to the "learn to play while you play" approach to teaching a game.

When you plop this down with a new group, set up the scenario, then get everyone their starting decks, and just narrate through the game, starting with you as the first player. Pick the player roles the rulebook suggests, as well.

If you get it and are stumped on the rules, come on back and someone will help you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tought a friend to play while we played. By the third turn he had it all down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turn to the Dark Side
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great replies guys! I really appreciate it, what a great community here on BGG - many thanks again. I think I'm sold on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.