Joakim Linde
Sweden
flag msg tools
So me and a couple of friends are have started looking into assembling a 9 player variant of GoT, since we have a lot of available players.I know there are a couple of great versions out there, but we are going for a bit of spoiler-free set up, since some players haven't read the books /seen all seasons of the show. The idea is to have a version that includes all characters, as if it were the first book, but include Targaryen, Arryn and Bolton/Frey as factions.

Now, this obviously doesnt make much sense from a story perspective but it's more about creating our Westeros and having fun with. Anyways, my buddy is making the map and i just started with the housecards and wanted some thoughts on them.

TARGARYEN

Khal Drogo 4, two swords

Grey Worm 3 One Sword, One fortification

Ser Barristan Selmy 2 If you lose this battle, your units are not considered routed after retreating.

Ser Jorah Mormont 2 One Fortification

Daario Naharis 1 If you win this combat, you may immediately place a raid order in the embattled area and resolve it after this combat.

Rhakaro 1 If there is no defense order in the embattled area, this card gains 1 combat strength.

Daenerys Targaryen 0 if you win the battle and there is a castle or stronghold in the embattled area, you may muster in that area after the combat (following normal supply restrictions)

Comment: Targaryen is intended to be sort of a Greyjoy of the East, a faction that relies on early aggression. Daenerys ability makes up for the fact that Targaryen starts out at the bottom of the kings court track. Daario can allow you to steal CP from an unprepared player, or mess up important support order, and Barristan can prevent a defeat from turning disasterous. T

I am a bit vary that Daenerys ABility might be OP, but i just felt that it fit the intended playstyle and kinda works thematically. Thoughts ? I will be posting Bolton/Arryn later on.

Oh, and of course these will be worked into actual cards later on. I just wish to establish the abilities first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically it's not perfect. Grey Worm and Daario don't appear in the first book/season and Barristan is not on Targaryen side back then.
I think the lower values should be less depending on winning the battles, otherwise their abilities will be of little use. I would replace Daario with Illyrio and give him some power connected with power tokens, for example: if you win you get 3 PT, if you lose you get 1 PT.
Daenerys is not overpowered at all, good luck trying to win a battle with a 0 strength house card It can happen sometimes, but not too often.
And it's Rakharo, not Rhakaro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zegor
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that having a Frey/Bolton faction in addition to Stark is a very big spoiler if some of the players are not yet familiar with the RW. Have you considered Tully instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Linde
Sweden
flag msg tools
I somehow mentally overlooked the fact that Barristan wasn't present early on at all...modest ty for pointing that out. Could maybe get away with using him as "Whitebeard". Then again, strong Belwas might be a better option.

Illyrio is a good suggestion, I also just realizied that Viserys shoulsd probaly be in there somewhere. Thinking about making him the new 0 card (because he is useless) and bumping Daenerys up slightly in Combat Strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick V
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Yeah to be honest that Dany card is one of the more underpowered Dany's I have seen on variants. As the other poster mentioned you're not going to win many battles with your 0, and perhaps some of the ones you will win it is because you have a large army. Unfortunately that large army may prevent you from being able to muster and keep your supply. Granted, like some cards I'm sure there are times that your Dany would be game changing. For example the Cersei Lannister card depends on winning a battle with a 0, and it has completely changed games with my group from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.