Ken Staples
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Just started getting into deckbuilders this year. Ascension on iOS, Star Realms (just this past week), and my copy of Legendary: Alien just came in this week.

I'm going to order Battle of the Five Armies and another game to hit the free shipping target. This has been on my wish list for awhile and it is one of my top two contenders (the other being Heroes of Normandie).

I guess my biggest question is how similar is it to Alien? They appear to be quite different. But I don't want to subject my friends & family to deckbuilder overload.

Thoughts? Especially from anybody who's tried both games?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are really nothing a like. This game though is very hard. You will lose a lot and it can be very frustrating for some people. The trade off is it supports a kind of level-up mechanic where you can improve your characters between runs. However accumulating that experience is not a fast process.

As much as I enjoy deck builders I would suggest picking up some other types of games as well to avoid the burnout you are worried about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jef Honor
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I recently bought both games, and I absolutely enjoy both of them. While they are both deck builders they have very little else in common.

The first thing to note is the difficulty. In Legendary Encounters the game becomes much more difficult if you play it with 5 players versus playing it with only 2; however, Shadowrun: Crossfire is the opposite, where the difficulty is much higher for 2 players than it is for 4.

Shadowrun: Crossfire is also a much more difficult game in the first place. My playgroup did not feel that it was frustrating, and we actually won our second game.

In playstyle, Legendary Encounters is more complex to set up and play than Shadowrun: Crossfire. This, plus having a lot more cards (around 600 versus around 200 in Shadowrun: Crossfire) gives me the feeling that there will be more replayability in Legendary Encounters, but it is far too early to be sure. This also does not take into account any possible expansions.

A lot of people have mistakenly been comparing Shadowrun: Crossfire to another game called Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, but to be honest, Shadowrun: Crossfire is a lot more like Ascension or Star Realms. A short list of some of the differences would include that it is fully cooperative, players play in a scenario with some unique rules and have negative cards they have to deal with and defeat called objectives. It has an added bonus of letting you build up characters with upgrades that make each game feel like you are working toward something, but even without that it feels like a complete game on its own.

Legendary Encounters gameplay, while also a deck building game, doesn't feel the same at all. In this game you are dealing with a deck of bad cards that are kept secret until they are searched out through player actions or they are ready to start hurting the players. This deck has a really well designed concept in that it is made of three progressively harder parts. These three parts come from the four Aliens movies (so 12 parts in total), and you can either put them together to make a specific movie, or you can randomly put them together to make a unique experience.

The cards in Shadowrun: Crossfire feel more important as they are more powerful and you cycle through them much more slowly, while in Legendary Encounters, you will collect a lot more cards into your decks, and look for ways to remove the weaker cards to help thin it out.

I really like both of these games and I feel that they both address their themes well, and are a lot of fun to play. I don't have enough play time with either one yet to actually review them, but I've played them both enough to know that they can both come out on the same night and not feel like we are playing two versions of the same game, just two games in the same genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wookiemart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ozmo wrote:
Hi All,

Just started getting into deckbuilders this year. Ascension on iOS, Star Realms (just this past week), and my copy of Legendary: Alien just came in this week.

I'm going to order Battle of the Five Armies and another game to hit the free shipping target. This has been on my wish list for awhile and it is one of my top two contenders (the other being Heroes of Normandie).

I guess my biggest question is how similar is it to Alien? They appear to be quite different. But I don't want to subject my friends & family to deckbuilder overload.

Thoughts? Especially from anybody who's tried both games?

Thanks

The biggest difference I see between the two is that Legendary is a self contained system that requires little to no addons or support where as Crossfire will need a LOT of organized play support in order to find it's legs, not to mention it's target audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.