Subject: Launching research missions from earth: fuel cost rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
When launching a research mission from earth, is it always considered to have come from the surface, or if I have built an Earth base (say in Earth orbit, or on the moon), is the research mission considered to have been launched from there (for the purposes of saving me 1 fuel)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the research mission (and colonist transport) start from planet earth. A base at Earth's Orbit will reduce fuel cost by one. A base on either moon location does not reduce fuel cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, really??? There's nothing in the game that I can see that defines any functional difference between Earth Orbit Base vs the two Lunar Bases. All three are classified as being "Earth" bases... why, functionally, would one provide a savings, but the others wouldn't. Or more to the point, where does it say that in the rules or on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Richard

Tom is correct. The Note about Earth is on page 6, and the Fuel cost calculation on page 7. Bases at starting or ending planets only reduce fuel costs if the travel starts or ends at the specific location traveled from or to.

In game terms, a planet can have more than one location - Earth has three.

Earth is naturally different from all the locations - we already have factories and colonies and we didn't need a base to build them! So you can consider Earth and Earth's orbit, sort of the same location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So you can consider Earth and Earth's orbit, sort of the same location.

Right, that's the big thing that's missing from the rules, that anywhere in the rules where it says "earth", it really means "earth, or earth orbit". probably the earth orbit location should be given some unique visual element on the board as well to indicate that it functions differently than every other location in the game (and it's also odd that a base in orbit has access to a full population of colonists... maybe the game assumes the space elevator is already operational? that would thematically make things clearer!)

thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Richard

The reduction in fuel costs for a base in earth's orbit is an abstraction of the idea that infrastructure in space (e.g. a spaceport) should make things easier to send missions out further. Big space fleets won't want most of their ships touching down on a planet, and wasting all that fuel.

The reason I didn't make them precisely the same location is I wanted to make sure that players needed to spend a fuel to make that first base in Earth's orbit, and that they didn't think their construction teams were already there, in orbit.

I don't disagree I could have done a slightly better job at describing the situation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IanBrody wrote:
Hi Richard

The reduction in fuel costs for a base in earth's orbit is an abstraction of the idea that infrastructure in space (e.g. a spaceport) should make things easier to send missions out further. Big space fleets won't want most of their ships touching down on a planet, and wasting all that fuel.

The reason I didn't make them precisely the same location is I wanted to make sure that players needed to spend a fuel to make that first base in Earth's orbit, and that they didn't think their construction teams were already there, in orbit.

I don't disagree I could have done a slightly better job at describing the situation!

So I wasn't right about my space elevator guess?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AARGH! I was filming the runthrough for this today, so looking at the rulebook again, and it's right there in black and white how earth orbit functions differently than other locations!!!! D'oh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bil Bas
United Kingdom
Lancaster
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your space elevator explanation. I think it is easier to understand the mechanics then because it is more directly going to reduce costs to get into orbit than a more vague "infrastructure" explanation. I think I'll use that to explain to my players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bil Bas
United Kingdom
Lancaster
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, on second thoughts I guess an elevator makes less sense reducing fuel cost if you are just passing Earth, going from Mercury to Mars, for example. Think I'll still use it in my rules explanation though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In the fuel cost example on page 7, there's no mention of the additional one fuel Earth-to-orbit boost cost. Is that an error in the example? Or is the point of the special rule that the LEO base can reduce fuel costs despite not being on a mission's route?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a base in earth's orbit reduces the fuel cost from earth, that is Research missions, colonists, and rocket construction teams still on earth. The one fuel cost between earth and earth's orbit is only counted when going between earth and earth's orbit, and not between earth and another location. I hope this makes sense. The example on page 7 is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.