6 Posts

Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Kunzelman
Canada
flag msg tools
The rulebook is atrocious. I really enjoy this game... but dude... this rulebook sucks. No index. Font is small. Theme is good. But, try to find something specific? Not going to happen anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
This index that Brett Schaller made might help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I actually think this is an exceptionally well done rulebook. It is very thoroughly cross referenced and rules are repeated in several places. I've found this to be very helpful because I can find all the rules about something no matter where I look for it. It may be some work to get through the first time, but is an outstanding reference for all the times you'll use it after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
91Caprice wrote:
The rulebook is atrocious. I really enjoy this game... but dude... this rulebook sucks. No index. Font is small. Theme is good. But, try to find something specific? Not going to happen anytime soon.

I do miss an index, but since the rulebook is structured in the same way as the phase order I usually find it fairly easy to find what I need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main problem I see with the rulebook is that it's trying to mention every exception and character's ability right in the basic rules. This was so confusing when I read it the first time.
Actually I think it's great to have the character specials right in the section of the rules where they apply, but the problem is they're not seperated from the basic rules. Let's say you take all the character specials out of the main text and place it in a sidebar, or in a box, or just mark it as "not important the first time you read this."
Once I figured that this was creating the most confusion, I read the rules again, ignoring every specials and just concetrated on the basic rules. It's much easier that way, and the mist character specials are mentioned on their cards anyway.

Yes, an index would have been nice.
Here's how my rulebook lookes since the first or second play (see top and right side):
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeddy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that having the PDF version on my partners ipad solves the issue; the word search quickly finds all instances...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.