Hide
7 Posts

Shadowrun: Crossfire» Forums » General

Subject: Upgrades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaffak Landsdown
msg tools
Could anyone explain the +10 Karma upgrade cost after the 1st one thematically because its already hard to get karma and getting upgrades is whats fun about this game. Why would they make it so it takes alot longer to ''level up'' ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, think of your first slot as your specialization. What ever is there will come easier/more naturally to you. Learning additional things is harder.

Mechanically, it keeps people from just loading up on all the 5 point skills and making the game easier too quickly. Instead, you have to balance out what you need in that first slot and what you're willing to pay extra for, against how quickly you need to start adding on extra challenges to the mission for extra karma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Jacques
United States
Casselberry
Florida
flag msg tools
It's ok - I always roll this bad.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the poster above - it also mitigates things - you CAN go for a big point one in your first slot instead of a 5 pointer. Even over lay it if you want to change.

I think the design decision is based on the fast that ANY of the extra powers stacked will all radically change the game and the more you have stacked the more it will impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Callender
United States
anderson
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thematically? Well almost all RPG's have scaling progression. What's a little odd to me is that it seems to encourage sticking to only the 1st slot until you get one of the 50 point stickers before moving on to the second slot. Covering a 5 with a 10 only cost 10 where 2 5s cost 20. I would like to hear the design decisions behind that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ultralogan wrote:
Covering a 5 with a 10 only cost 10 where 2 5s cost 20. I would like to hear the design decisions behind that.

There is actually a very boring explanation for this: The 20 Karma ugprades are about twice as good as the 5 Karma upgrades. As a very basic example, you can get +2 HP for 20 Karma in one upgrade, or you can get +1 HP and +1 Starting Nuyen for 20 Karma over two upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question on using slots 2,3, and 4..

Is it a flat +10 karma on those, or is it +10 to 2, +20 to 3, and +30 to 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Callender
United States
anderson
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In addition, each upgrade that is placed in any slot on a Runner card other than the first slot has its value increased by 10. So 3 slots filled would be the cost total upgrade price (ex 3 5pt upgrades would be 15) + 20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.