D-Day at Omaha Beach» Forums » Rules

Subject: Delay landing result rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
France
flag msg tools
mb
How do you guys understand the delay landing result saying "Delayed - place 3 turns ahead on the turn track"?
Do you understand 3 turns ahead of the turn the unit entered the landing box?
Or do you understand 3 turns ahead of current turn (which turns out being a 4 turns delay)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ambroz Podkoritnik
Slovenia
Velenje
Europe
flag msg tools
mb
3 Turns ahead of the current turn.

Example: If you are in turn 4, you put unit from landing box to turn 7 on turn track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
France
flag msg tools
mb
brosxa wrote:
3 Turns ahead of the current turn.

Example: If you are in turn 4, you put unit from landing box to turn 7 on turn track.

In this case, a unit that was going to land on the beach turn 4, will finally land on the beach turn 8, which is 4 turns delay. Correct? I'm wondering if it's really the intent of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. So if it has a '4' printed on the counter, it will be placed in a landing box on turn 4, the first landing will be attempted on turn 5 and it will be replaced in landing box on turn 8 (and have a second landing attempted on turn 9).

At least that's how I do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Ambroz and Steve.
The rules seem pretty clear that you place delayed units 3 turns down at the time you draw the card, which will be one turn after they are placed in the landing boxes (unless they get delayed multiple times)

Note that the tanks on turn 1 don't follow this convention when getting delayed; they are simply placed on turn 2, not 2 turns ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
France
flag msg tools
mb
Ok.
This game is tough.
Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klute Gamer
msg tools
Great question....

Maybe I am playing this wrong.

As the example above, if the marker says turn 4, and delayed 3 turns, I place the markers on Turn 6. I guess I see it as turn 4 is still in play and not completed yet. So... (1) turn 4, (2) turn 5, (3) turn 6 they will now arrive.

I maybe wrong, and hope I am not as I thought I was improving... LOL

Maybe I am starting deployment incorrectly and not placing the turn marker correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the rules in front of me again, and it looks like the relevant rule is only on the player aid. However, 5.14 talks about HQ exception to mines which also causes delays. In that case the language is very clear: "place the HQ two turns after the current turn on the turn track".
E.g. if it is turn 6, two turns after the current turn would be turn 8. If the player aid uses the same language for delays (and I believe it does) then a unit that gets delayed on turn 6 would be placed in the turn 9 space on the turn track since "current turn" means the turn currently in progress.

As for placing units, you place them on the turn track in the space with the number that is on the counter. That is the turn during which the unit moves to the landing box and it will arrive on the beach one turn after that. E.g. a unit that has a 4 on the counter will start on the 4 space of the turn track, will enter the landing box during the landing phase of turn 4, and will land on the beach on turn 5 (barring delays).
The turn marker starts on turn 1 (there's no turn 0 or anything), which includes the landing of the tanks in the boxes on the beach and moving the units with a 1 on the counter to the landing boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
France
flag msg tools
mb
For tanks in turn 1, the player aid is saying: "Delayed - place in turn 2 space of the turn track." This is quite clear.
For HQs in section 5.14 of the rules, "place the HQ two turns after the current turn on the turn track" This is quite clear as well.
For Artillery, anti-aircraft and anti-tank, turn 4-14 and turn 15 and after, the player aid is saying: "Delayed - place three turns ahead on the turn track." I play it "three turns ahead of the space it was occupying in the landing track", in order to get a net result of 3 turns delay.
Klute plays like me, but Niko, Steve and Ambroz play differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aubinouk wrote:
For tanks in turn 1, the player aid is saying: "Delayed - place in turn 2 space of the turn track." This is quite clear.
For HQs in section 5.14 of the rules, "place the HQ two turns after the current turn on the turn track" This is quite clear as well.
For Artillery, anti-aircraft and anti-tank, turn 4-14 and turn 15 and after, the player aid is saying: "Delayed - place three turns ahead on the turn track." I play it "three turns ahead of the space it was occupying in the landing track", in order to get a net result of 3 turns delay.
Klute plays like me, but Niko, Steve and Ambroz play differently.

Good summary, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.