Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never really understood the fit over the special editions, but whatever. Geeks love to bitch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
That is some quality dedication. Can't wait to find this copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I never really understood the fit over the special editions, but whatever. Geeks love to bitch.
I don't have a huge issue, but the article makes the good point that this move was lauded when it first came out as a groundbreaking piece of cinema. But now we can't watch that original groundbreaking-in-1977 work, we can only watch the later editions. For historical reasons only, I can see the value of keeping the 1977 version available. The irony is thick when Lucas complains before congress about colorizing movies destroying our history, then goes on to modify his film and refuse to make old prints available even for scholarly reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William A
United States
Mount Clare
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Let's Go Pens!
badge
When do you think people die? When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol? No. When they are ravaged by an incurable disease? No. When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom!? No! It’s when… they are forgotten.
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:

Very nice. I'm glad that I picked up the theatrical version on DVD a few years ago otherwise I'd go with this. Han shot first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

It's not that their existence sucks, so much as the insistence that the only version you can buy/see/experience is a radically altered version with enhancements which in no way match the filmmaking capabilities of the era in which it was created, thereby destroying it as a cultural artifact.

It's like someone demolishing 25% of a beloved historical building, then adding 35% more to the building in completely useless ostentatious "improvements" using materials which clearly weren't used in the original... And then painting the entire thing sort of neon pink which... sort of... matches the newer pinkish buildings around it, but not really.

And then claiming that THAT resulting monstrosity was the "original intent" and that all previous cultural experience related to the original historical structure was somehow sub-par.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I find it interesting that the article says you can't get the original movie anymore. I picked up the original trilogy in a set of two-disc DVDs sometime in the last decade. One disc had the "Special Editions" and the other had the originals.

(www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Two-Disc-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B...)

And from what I can tell from watching them, they really are the originals. (Han shoots first, no Jabba in Star Wars, etc.)

Unless they're some kind of weird hybrid of editions, and I haven't caught that yet.

I have the same set as Drew. I don't see the issue. The originals are original, the specials are special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
I find it interesting that the article says you can't get the original movie anymore. I picked up the original trilogy in a set of two-disc DVDs sometime in the last decade. One disc had the "Special Editions" and the other had the originals.

(www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Two-Disc-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B...)

And from what I can tell from watching them, they really are the originals. (Han shoots first, no Jabba in Star Wars, etc.)

Unless they're some kind of weird hybrid of editions, and I haven't caught that yet.

I have the same set as Drew. I don't see the issue. The originals are original, the specials are special.

I think the video posted in the OP goes over the issues of that edition and many others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

It's not that their existence sucks, so much as the insistence that the only version you can buy/see/experience is a radically altered version with enhancements which in no way match the filmmaking capabilities of the era in which it was created, thereby destroying it as a cultural artifact.

It's like someone demolishing 25% of a beloved historical building, then adding 35% more to the building in completely useless ostentatious "improvements" using materials which clearly weren't used in the original... And then painting the entire thing sort of neon pink which... sort of... matches the newer pinkish buildings around it, but not really.

And then claiming that THAT resulting monstrosity was the "original intent" and that all previous cultural experience related to the original historical structure was somehow sub-par.

I guess I'm just not the sentimental type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

I guess I'm just not the sentimental type.

Your cold, steely heart makes me weep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I don't mind the special editions and remastered effects. I also like the Original Star Treks (TOS) remastered; they are fun to watch for just pure entertainment.

But for historical significance, I want to be able to see the original how it was originally presented.

When Star Wars became the important cultural impact movie it has become, people should be able to see how it was originally presented.

As an example, I might like to see what Casablanca might look like in color, it might even be fun to watch once...but I want to own and be able to watch the original...how it was when it was released in my grandparents era.

Your
Quote:
Geeks love to bitch
is an attempt to strength your opinion by making fun of the detractors. It doesn't. It just indicates you don't really have any real points to strengthen your argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
droberts441 wrote:

Your
Quote:
Geeks love to bitch
is an attempt to strength your opinion by making fun of the detractors. It doesn't. It just indicates you don't really have any real points to strengthen your argument.

Actually, it wasn't. It was just a statement. Geeks are a whiny bunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

Perhaps but what I am particularly referring to here is the work that went into it. Impressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
droberts441 wrote:

Your
Quote:
Geeks love to bitch

Actually, it wasn't. It was just a statement. Geeks are a whiny bunch.

I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
But . . . why go to all the work to "despecialize" a special edition of the movie, when an original is still available. Even if the original cut isn't exactly right, it's certainly going to be easier to fix than to go to the special edition and take out all the layers of changes.

Or what am I missing?

That I totally agree with. It seems pointless, unless the picture quality is Blu-Ray level, properly formatted for TVs, or something.

If this 'Harmy" version is offering something above the "bonus" disc they included with last DVD (not Bluray) release, then I might get it... but based on the before/after pictures, I'm not seeing what the enhancement is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
But . . . why go to all the work to "despecialize" a special edition of the movie, when an original is still available. Even if the original cut isn't exactly right, it's certainly going to be easier to fix than to go to the special edition and take out all the layers of changes.

Or what am I missing?

did you watch the video? Lots of color issues and other things even with available versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a box set of the originals still in shrink. Maybe I'll hide it away and hope it will help pay for there college education.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My wife sneaked up behind me while I was working in the garden. I was so startled I soiled myself.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of years ago I thrifted ($5?) a 3-movie VHS boxed set of the original trilogy, done in 1995. The front looks like this:

On the back is a short note from George Lucas, and he writes "...I am pleased that for the final video release of STAR WARS in its original version [emphasis mine], we can present it with the best sound and picture quality yet available, thanks to THX Digital Mastering. This widescreen edition also reproduces the Panavision format of the original theatrical releases,..."

I would love to have these tapes -- still unplayed as far as I know (there's even a sealed envelope with "Special offers inside!") -- transferred to DVD just for convenience in watching.

I would like my kids to see the movies the way I did when they first came out. We have one of the boxed DVD sets of the special editions, but every now and then I want to see the originals, just for nostalgia's sake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So I got a hold of the latest copy, and I must say, well done. The video was top notch. The only down side is on this 4K TV, they processed in a lot of details especially in the face that might have been better played with a tad more blur. I could see every zit on people's faces.

The sound was also a slight weak spot, but I believe they stayed true to the original source. I guess we can't expect 7.1 surround from a film in 1977 and I'm sure it sounds like it did back then, but we only remember hearing it processed over time on DVD/VHS, etc.

But overall, this should be a must see for the fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
claymore_57 wrote:

I would love to have these tapes -- still unplayed as far as I know (there's even a sealed envelope with "Special offers inside!") -- transferred to DVD just for convenience in watching.

Shouldn't cost you more than $20. It's a growing business.

For Drew - you might very well have something like the original version on DVD, but it has problems, as have been mentioned, and Lucas has made a determined effort to ensure that such versions will no longer be sold. So once the stock is sold, that's it, no more old Star Wars on the market. That's the part that is pissing people off and inspiring all the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since no one has mentioned this yet, then I may have mis-read it, but... didn't I read recently that Disney is going to release (or re-release) the originals?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Since no one has mentioned this yet, then I may have mis-read it, but... didn't I read recently that Disney is going to release (or re-release) the originals?

In a nutshell-

- Episode IV has exclusive distribution by Fox in perpetuity, which would require a deal with Disney in order for a that to happen. That's not really a huge issue as it's basically free money for Fox, but it's still a barrier.

- Lucas has allegedly destroyed the original negatives in the "special edition" process. Whether he ACTUALLY did this, whether it was actually necessary to even destroy the negatives, or whether they're sitting hidden in his private vault somewhere is anyone's guess.

My personal opinion is that it will eventually happen, just maybe not as soon as the VIII movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.