Colossal Arena» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Another first session! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
flag msg tools
I picked up Colossal Arena last weekend at Gencon and finally this evening got my first game in. I'd read over the rules the night before but it still took us some extra time to get going (after the game was delayed 15 minutes or so when the bag of bet chips opened a little easier than I expected, sending chips flying everywhere).

Things got revved up quickly, with all three of us deciding to place secret bids in round 1. Mine was placed on the Seraphim, and to my surprise my fellow players also went crazy for this card, with one bidding in round 2 and the other round three. In the spirit of guaranteeing myself backing status, I revealed my secret bet pretty early, then was surprised further when one of the other players put a second bid on the Seraphim, putting us both at 5 a piece and negating my backing.

Sometime midgame it occurred to us we'd been making a huge mistake. We didn't realize at the beginning of the game that we were supposed to remove all the combat cards for creatures not involved in the game, so rather than go through the entire deck to remove those cards, then shuffle the entire thing again we just had all the players discarding those irrelevant cards and redrawing until they drew other cards. What I forgot about were the spectator cards, and for most of the game we were assuming these were creatures not involved in the game and thus were discarding them. WHOOPS. Obviously the whole game was borked because of this, but we played on anyway.

Very late, one of the players revealed his secret bet to be on the troll, who was already stacked with bets (me with 4 gold, the third player with 3, and the secret bettor with *7*). Despite having a high bid here, I couldn't see letting the secret bettor get away with 7 gold, so I dumped something onto the troll at the last second to cause him to be eliminated, effectively putting the secret bettor out of contention. On the last play of the game I dropped a 9 onto the Cyclops to assure myself 1 gold for a late bid on that creature. That was just enough as I tied the third player with 8 gold a piece, but since I was the most recent tied player who took a turn, the game went to me.

We definitely made a number of mistakes, but I'm really looking forward to playing again. The creature abilities are very interesting, and I was able to use the Cyclops to mess with my opponents' hands several times. Fun.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.