Machina Arcana» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monster Threat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
william braun
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Can someone please advise when the Monster Threat level increases? My understanding is that it only increases when there are already 4 monsters on the board and a monster event roll determines that another monster be spawned. Is this correct? Are there any other situations that would raise the Monster threat.

Also, when the monster threat reaches 10, the monster level increases by 1. Is this correct? At that point I would shuffle in the new level of monster into the existing monster deck?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Boeck
United States
Eureka
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a horror event is drawn, I believe it also increases the monster thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Schneider
Germany
Stockstadt
flag msg tools
badge
Hello,

It is correct that the monster threat increases every time there are already 4 monsters on the exploreres maptile (not the whole board).

You also increase the monster threat by one if you have no monster cards available that you could spawn.

But you also increase the monster threat by one every time you get a horror event in the horror phase (see rulebook, page 9, horror phase).

About increasing the monster level. On page 12 it says: if the monster threat is 10, reset the monster threat and increase monster level. As I understand it, it doesn't happen as soon as the mosnter threat reaches 10, but if it is on 10 and you would have to increase it once more. Then you go back to 1 and increase the level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casius Bane
msg tools
Additionally there are monsters that can cause the Monster Threat to increase. For example Deep One increases monster threat ~50% of the time on a successful hit.

There are Horror Event cards that cause the Monster Threat to increase (beyond the 1 time for rolling the Horror Event). There is one that increases Monster Threat for every active Quest card, which was pretty nasty since I wasn't finishing quests.

But yeah, the primary way to increase Monster Threat is with each Horror Event that is rolled. So at 4 or above for most of Scenario 1 you would expect, on average, to hit Monster Level after 14 or 15 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.