James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize this adds to the length and, for young squires, the complexity of a quick and balanced game, but I would like to add my house rules to the variant trend with additional challenges and challenge token functionality.

Camp/Rest:
Skip a turn to regain a Challenge Token.

I Dare Ya - Challenge the current player to hunt multiple dragons at the same time.
(expanding on Togo Took's Multi-Dragon Combat variant - thanks Togo)

Run Away (thanks Monty Python's Holy Grail)
In dire situations, a knight may choose to flee mid hunt and collect only five points - forfeiting all other points for the turn. This can only be done if the knight has slain three or more dragons and has one hero die remaining. This can be challenged by another player in the traditional sense.

The Boastful Knight:
A player may use a Challenge Token on themselves and boast to slay a dragon in one roll or slay multiple dragons at one time. If successful they receive five additional points, if not, all other players receive five points.
(expanding on Togo Took's Multi-Dragon Combat & Young Dragon Slaying Squires variants - thanks again Togo)

Also added, but not related to tokens:

Lost in the Wilderness -
If 3 Mountains are rolled in a single roll, the knight is lost and must return to the castle and collect the reward for any slain dragons. (taken and modified from James Napoli's solo variant - thanks James)

Critical Hit -
If a knight slays a dragon in a single roll, they receive a bonus of 1/2 the dragons value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Somebody who thinks that feathers on dinosaurs would suddenly make them not-scary has never been chased by a goose.
mbmb
Variants
Very creative variants, jet cougar.

The Boastful Knight:
Using the Challenge token one's self is a neat idea.
Don't know if the trade-off for five bonus points is worth possibly denying an opponent their own scored points (when the token is used normally), but I can't think of an alternative reward for being Boastful.

Lost in the Wilderness
I like it. Simple and thematically works.
Should they score nothing having to have eat the carcass to survive and/or failing to drag it back due to exhaustion?
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing this compilation of interesting ideas!

jetcougar wrote:
Critical Hit -
If a knight slays a dragon in a single roll, they receive a bonus of 1/2 the dragons value.

This one I wouldn't even give a moment's consideration.

A single roll slaying is already such an enormous bonus that adding even more points on top of that just rewards luck in the game even more.

This hurts rather than helps a game that already has a huge helping of luck vs decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.