BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommend a shelf please! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
If enough of us dream, if a bare thousand of us dream, we can change the world. We can dream it anew!
badge
It is sometimes a mistake to climb, it is always a mistake never even to make the attempt.
mbmbmb
I stumbled upon this list whilst looking for a shelf to store my games and books. As the subject line suggests, any recommendations?

* fixed the link... at least I think I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many people, I have an Ikea Expedit and love it. Bought it right away when I found out they might be discontinuing the line and don't regret it for a second. Great shelf for organizing games.

Is the link in your post correct? I don't think I saw anything re: shelves there.

Edit: took me a minute, but found I have a picture of it in my gallery...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skandia is my preference - but the price is steep:
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/shelving/skandiaShelving

Ikea has a replacement set for Expedit called Kallax - I'm sure there's differences but I have no idea what. Looks the same to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main difference seems to be the thickness of the outer edge, the dimensions of the shelves are exactly the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Ikea has a replacement set for Expedit called Kallax - I'm sure there's differences but I have no idea what. Looks the same to me.

I have Kallax - as seen in this photo, it is excellent and actually slightly nicer than Expedit, in that the outer frames are a bit thicker THINNER* than the older style.

* Corrected mistake in noting relative thicknesses of the two styles of shelves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Vickers
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Aldie wrote:

I have Kallax - as seen in this photo, it is excellent and actually slightly nicer than Expedit, in that the outer frames are a bit thicker than the older style.

I think you are mistaken. The Expedit has a thicker outer frame than the Kallax does. Here's mine:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are correct, I meant to say thinner! Oops! They shaved a couple of millimeters off of the thickness to save on wood. You'd think a couple of millimeters wouldn't be that big of a deal, but when you use as much wood as Ikea does, every millimeter counts! It is estimated that Ikea uses 1% of all of the commercial wood consumed annually around the world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having built a few I can say with confidence that Expedits are the spawn of pure evil, but they do hold big box games (think Dominion, Ticket to Ride etc) very well.

The rest of our game shelves are Billy with two height extenders - the joys of high ceilings cool

Realistically a TARDIS would be much more useful whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Yes, you are correct, I meant to say thinner! Oops! They shaved a couple of millimeters off of the thickness to save on wood.

Expedit is not wood as I know it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We got 5-shelf bookcases from Staples. I remember them being on sale for about $79 with free shipping. They're sturdier and deeper than the cheapie ones at places like Big Lots; they can hold TTR-sized boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is the no-tools-needed-to-assemble plastic shelving in the hardware section of places like Target; be sure to get the 18" deep, not the 12". It will hold larger game boxes.

This sort of thing:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-5-Shelf-Shelving-Unit-Li...

The better ones hold 50 lbs/shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
If enough of us dream, if a bare thousand of us dream, we can change the world. We can dream it anew!
badge
It is sometimes a mistake to climb, it is always a mistake never even to make the attempt.
mbmbmb
Thank you all for the help! I'm looking into the Kallax from ikea. I'm worried about how sturdy the unit is, I don't want the thing to buckle and break from the weight. I did find some smaller shelves at Lowes, but they are nearly the same cost... I have much to mull over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
manic familiar wrote:
Thank you all for the help! I'm looking into the Kallax from ikea. I'm worried about how sturdy the unit is, I don't want the thing to buckle and break from the weight. I did find some smaller shelves at Lowes, but they are nearly the same cost... I have much to mull over.

I was initially worried about the same; I'd never gotten anything from them, but since then I've gotten a few things, and they are not flimsy at all.

If the only difference in the Kallax from my Expidit is the thickness of the outer pieces, then you have nothing to worry about - it's super sturdy and you could probably put a cinderblock in each of the shelf spaces and it wouldn't wince.

I was also going to suggest: stainless steel kitchen racks... I used one for years as my A/V unit and thought I'd repurpose it for game storage when I got something new, but I got the Expidit first, so now it's helping keep my storage space tidy. Still: I'd recommend for price and versatility. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Kallax in my office for office stuff (no games), and I have tons of weight on there because of hard drives, cables, memory, etc... it's a lot heavier than board games and it's being supported with no problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InQuino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Now I have to worry if my entire collection will it into one of those... 1st world problem shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Inouye

Chico
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Can the Kallax shelf be used on its side? We have a short but wide space to fill.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh. If only we had an Ikea around where we live. Stuck with the major big box and office stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.