Hide
6 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: Rebalancing Torpedo type secondary weapons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom B.
msg tools
So I guess this is the correct forum for a thread where we actually discuss and propose rule changes. Previously I just inquired whether or not I'm mistaken in noticing "Target Lock + Disable Weapon" weapons are hardly worthwhile compared to buffing primaries. Turns out even a newbie to the game can notice this issue. Granted, I'm fairly new to the game, and there's some secondary weapons I haven't gotten to field test yet, but I've got some experience with them already.

Here's my ideas to start with:

Standardized Torpedo weapons. Standardized damages, specials, costs, and no "from this specific ship +1" bonuses

Enhanced Weaponry:
Needs something special, given it's fairly unique.
Range 2-3: Damage 5
+2 damage at range 2
+1 damage at range 3 (while still negating the +1 defense being a secondary weapon)
Works out to 7 max damage at the cost of two actions.
This is essentially the current "+1 damage on this specific ship" bonus but buffed up to a +2 while favoring a specific range. I'd make it do 1 more damage on the Keldon, but the Kraxon gets neglected so often in favor of the Keldon's superior 5 attack primary. On top of that, a +3 damage which would result on the Keldon might be too much? Actually, if anything, the Kraxon/Keldon are already pretty solid ships, this might be too much.
This would be good against anything, but either crippling crits or stripping shields would be more efficient with Photon or Plasma below.

Photon Torpedoes:
Mostly unchanged, aside from the fact they should be standardized such that Dominion and Klingon also get the critical effects like Federation. Torpedoes are completely useless otherwise for most klingons that already get 4-5 attack die, and dominion's upwards of 6 attack die.
I like the current special of increased crit odds.
Range 2-3: Damage 5
Battlestations = crit.
That's what the cost of the target lock gets you, increased crits. Photons thus are best for crippling ships with no shields, and this is actually an option outside of Federation for factions that otherwise have to heavily rely on just buffing primaries.

Plasma Torpedoes:
Essentially unchanged.
Range 1-2: Damage 5
Can re-roll each die once (which is to say you get to spend that target lock).
Excellent bolster to give punch to weaker ships with low primary attacks which would be most Romulan ships. Best for guaranteed stripping shields with a high average damage from the re-roll, given a lot of ships only have 4 or less shield.
Frankly, I think these were probably one of the better vanilla balances for secondary weapons. My only issue is the uselessness of the 4 damage range 1-3 variant being completely worthless for the meager -1 point cost. No point to it existing. Same with Nuclear Missles card, it's just not worth it.

I have yet to use Quantum or Transphasic torpedoes... or any other I might not know of being this new.

EDIT: OK as I look up a few I haven't used, and think about the above some more...

Transphasic Torpedoes
:
WOW does this look broken. Granted, I haven't seen it in play yet, but lets just think about it. This is a 10 attack die discard at the cost of 10 points. Two major problems I see with that. Firstly, this is essentially a superior volley of torpedoes doing 2 torpedoes worth of attack die in a single attack thus having less defense against it, while also being cheaper and taking fewer upgrade slots. Second major issue is that this completely invalidates suicide attack, which costs a bare minimum of 25 points to field for 8 attack die while sacrificing a ship. The only case where suicide attack would be better is against a cloaked ship as the official ruling was that it ignores cloaking defense bonus, but at the same time it's extremely difficult to use. I also recognize that the Enhanced Weaponry idea I had which would give 7 attack die at range 2 with two actions essentially invalidates Suicide attack as well.

If anything this just makes me realize Suicide attack needs a buff relative to all these cheaper discards and alternative weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shrouded In Mystery
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not yet seen an effective in-game use of transphasic torpedoes. I kind-of agree on the rest, but don't dismiss the value of range 1-3 torpedoes on ships with small attack values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom B.
msg tools
Valshier wrote:
I've not yet seen an effective in-game use of transphasic torpedoes. I kind-of agree on the rest, but don't dismiss the value of range 1-3 torpedoes on ships with small attack values.

That pretty much only applies to Dominion who get range 1-3 torpedoes with no special in place of range 2-3 with any special. Thing is, Dominion's weakest has 3 primary damage. Range 3 is the most valuable for torpedoes by negating the +1 defense die, while Range 1 is the worst for torpedoes because primaries get +1 damage.

Torpedoes cost two actions, target lock and a disable. This would boost attack at ranges 2-3 by 2 attack die across 2 turns. It's only a +1 attack die per turn on average bonus, which is completely null at the +1 primary attack die that's free for range 1. Only real advantage is at range 3 for negating +1 defense, but all other torpedoes get that AND a special like battlestation crits or whatever else.

tl;dr
Zee torpedoes, zey do nuthing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Torpedoes would have been ok if no primary attack is above 4. How about any natural hit to hull is a crit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
Torpedoes would have been ok if no primary attack is above 4. How about any natural hit to hull is a crit

Or, alternatively, the first crit scored goes through, even if there are shields still up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Valshier wrote:

Transphasic torpedoes are a discard to begin with, so you get only one shot. Then you need a lockon (can't use against cloaked ships with advanced weapon systems or cloaked ships that didn't just cloak). Than you need quality (e.g. Battlestations). Even so you get about 7-8 damage, good but hard to justify with the points. You can buff with things like Scotty or Donatra or a flagship to get more dice (or even Tribbles), but it's still a one shot that takes a lot of actions.

That said, I've used it successfully a couple of times, especially with rear arcs. Voyager is fast, so you pass up the enemy at high speed and hit them from the rear. If you've softened them up you can kill the ship. It's a decent alpha strike technique but tricky due to the luck aspect and the range and the cost. Speaking as a Fed player you're probably better off with the Dominion Battleship or the Borg anything. Which is I suppose why we keep discussing why torpedoes are broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.