Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey so I have a couple of questions regarding mage wars

I've played a couple of games trying to use the premade spell books but I find them boring. Does any one have a fun list for the Priestess and Beastmaster using only the base set? or is there a link to some cool builds for either of these mages?

How are combos like temple of asyria and two clerics supposed to be advantageous? it costs 20 mana and a couple of turns of casting to get that out and then it takes so many turns before they even brake even on mana generation I'm not sure what the pay off is here. Is more of the benefit to have the temple bringing in creatures so the Priestess can focus on casting other things? for that matter even things like mana flower seem kind of bad it takes 6 turns before you start getting more mana back then you put into it. Do these things just seem weaker when playing against the winnie beastmaster rush? Do they have a preform well against other mages that take things more slowly?

I'm also interested in the Forcemaster could some one list a good spell book for her to try out? Why does the Psylok have critical hit listed as an ability after his attack? Are thoughtspores any good? paying 8 mana to have something generate 1 per turn seems weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many spellbooks on the Mage Wars forums in the spellbook section including Forcemasters. I'm not sure which use a single core set, but there should be some on there.

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php

I don't tend to use Asyran Clerics to channel for Temple of Asyra as it is very slow to get going, and leaves you relatively vulnerable to anti-swarm cards.

In general, Spawnpoints are more for the action advantage than for the mana advantage. You will break even faster on mana with cards that improve your channeling, and they do not constrain what you can do with that mana the way that a Spawnpoint does. The big advantage of having a card like the Temple of Asyra is that it frees up your mage's actions to do other things while still summoning the creatures you want.

Increasing your channeling favors a long game. You'll break even in ~5 rounds, which means you'll be slightly behind your opponent during that time (assuming that they focus on more proactive options), but you'll be able to play a stronger late game. You definitely shouldn't overdo it, as an aggressive opponent will just kill you if you play too much economy, but you can generally get away with at least one round of economy. So I wouldn't say that Mana Flowers are bad, but you need to carefully consider how much economy you actually want to play.

A Beastmaster rush can put a lot of pressure on you. If you overcommit to economy against it, you'll just die. It's more a question of balancing economy and defense than whether economy is good. Against slower strategies, economic play tends to be more forgiving, and can allow you to match your opponent better in the mid and late game.

Psyloks deal critical damage, which means they ignore armor. It's effectively as if every number they rolled was a starburst side.

Thoughtspores are potentially good. Remember that you're paying for the extra actions and the body, not just the mana generation. The issue with them is that they are incredibly fragile. If you can keep them alive to cast the spellbound spell a few times, they're probably worth it. The issue is that your opponent will often shoot them down quickly. They're fragile high priority targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.