3 Posts

Alien Uprising» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bunch of questions for Alien Uprising after first play-through rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Smith
Thailand
flag msg tools
Some questions for Alien Uprising (great potential, but you desperately need to release a new rulebook):

1, Recovered Debris:
What happens to recovered debris once it's been brought back to the ship? I realize that installing crystals, for instance, is a free action, but do all the other debris simply get unloaded? Unloaded to where?

2, Shield Tokens:
What happens to the shattered Shield Tokens? Can you run out of Shield Tokens or are the shattered ones shuffled into the as-of-yet not drawn ones? Or are all shattered Shield Tokens shuffled once you run out of the originally set-up face-down Shield Tokens?

3, Unstable Crystal:
On the red, unstable crystal it says: "Everyone in Zones 0 or 1 takes 1 die of Wounds each." What does "1 die of Wounds" mean? Also, does the explosion destroy the Red Crystal? Or can using it be attempted again on the next Game Turn?

4, Tunneler activation:
I have read the exchange in the forum on Scout (Zothren) movement and attack and I understand that they are the shock troops that are activated as soon as they hit the board (after original set-up). But what about the tunnelers? They are placed in Zone 1 (avoiding any shields), but do they also attack after they've been placed, or do they stay put until they are activated by an attack arrow on an Alien Troop card?

5, Item Card Restrictions:
The term "turn" is used interchangeably to both designate a Game Turn (all 4 phases) and a crewmember's individual turn. On several Item Cards there is a limitation that goes "Limit once per turn" - for example the Laser Sword. Can the Laser Sword only be used once on a crewmember's turn (and once again on their next turn if they have 2 or more Action Dice)? Or only once per Game Turn?

6, Skill Cards:
Are there any timing or unstated location restrictions on Skill Cards? For example, Jaylen Moon's "Clear a Path" states that you can move two Aliens back 1 zone - can this be done after an Alien Troop card has been drawn and you've seen whether or not the relevant sector is activated for attack? (Similar situation with X-14's "Calculated Shot") Or, X-14's "Repairs" that state you can "make an Engineering Action on the ship without needing to spend an Action Dice" - do you have to be situated in the ship yourself? Can this be done on another crewmember's turn?

7, X-14:
How does X-14's power to recharge items using health work? When can it do so? Is it an action?

8, Jake Comet:
Jake Comet may re-roll his Action Dice. In addition, his ability states "If Alien Icons are rolled they are treated as Attack Icons". Is this ability restricted to the re-rolls? If Jake Comet chooses an Alien Action Die during the "Action Dice Selection", can he use this die as an Attack Die, or will he have to re-roll it (and after the re-roll be able to use any potential Alien Action Dice as Attack Dice)?

9, Allie Blade:
Does Allie Blade's ability to not add Alien Tokens apply to (1) all Alien Dice rolled and re-rolled, (2) only Alien Dice rolled on the first roll, or (3) only on re-rolls that end up Alien Dice?

10, Reload/ Recharge:
Does the Weapon or rechargeable Item targeted for reloading/ recharging have to be one owned and held by the crewmember performing the action? Can another crewmember's Weapons or Items be targeted and reloaded/ recharged?

11, Taking "free actions":
Just to make sure, the free action that, for instance, the Energy Transmitter allows a crewmember to perform while in the ship, does it have to accompanied by an Action Die? Can this free action be taken if all Action Dice have been used up - or is a "turn" defined by having an Action Die to spend (or not spend in the case of Alien Dice)?

12, Turret Cannon:
The Turret Cannon states: "Player in Ship Space 1 may use..." What is Ship Space 1? Also, it states that "Each Die hits on a 3 or more" - but how many wounds does a hit inflict?

Phew, that's it for the first play-through. Might have more questions after playing the game more times and encountering new situations. I know that you're compiling questions and answers for a FAQ, so I didn't hold back, inventing my own house-rules for rather minor disputes or point of confusion. I hope that's ok. I apologize if I've asked questions that I simply missed in the rule-book or set-up guide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuno wrote:
Some questions for Alien Uprising (great potential, but you desperately need to release a new rulebook):

1, Recovered Debris:
What happens to recovered debris once it's been brought back to the ship? I realize that installing crystals, for instance, is a free action, but do all the other debris simply get unloaded? Unloaded to where?
I just unload them at the ship and use the Hull Sheet Metal board to track the number of pieces that have been retrieved. Once you have 5, you flip the board and start spending Engineering actions to repair the ship with the sheets. So the first step is just collection.

Quote:
2, Shield Tokens:
What happens to the shattered Shield Tokens? Can you run out of Shield Tokens or are the shattered ones shuffled into the as-of-yet not drawn ones? Or are all shattered Shield Tokens shuffled once you run out of the originally set-up face-down Shield Tokens?
Recycle them. I have a discard pile and an unused pile. When I empty the unused pile I shuffle the discard and build a new unused pile. But the rules don't specify what you should do, this just seemed logical to me (don't get me started on the rulebook, terrible doesn't even begin to address my issues with it - or the card text)

Quote:
3, Unstable Crystal:
On the red, unstable crystal it says: "Everyone in Zones 0 or 1 takes 1 die of Wounds each." What does "1 die of Wounds" mean? Also, does the explosion destroy the Red Crystal? Or can using it be attempted again on the next Game Turn?
it hasn't happened to me yet (we let a Scavenger run off with it in our last game!). To me, 1 die of wounds means "roll a D6, take that many wounds" I'd roll for each affected person/bug individually.

Quote:
4, Tunneler activation:
I have read the exchange in the forum on Scout (Zothren) movement and attack and I understand that they are the shock troops that are activated as soon as they hit the board (after original set-up). But what about the tunnelers? They are placed in Zone 1 (avoiding any shields), but do they also attack after they've been placed, or do they stay put until they are activated by an attack arrow on an Alien Troop card?
I follow the principle that a Zothren immediately attacks a target in the Zone that it moves into. That goes for the beginning of the game. Thematically it's exactly how you'd expect the movie to start: a shout of "Buuuuuuugs!!! and a Scout appears and rips off a grunt's head and a Red Shirt gets dragged underground by a Tunneler.

Quote:
5, Item Card Restrictions:
The term "turn" is used interchangeably to both designate a Game Turn (all 4 phases) and a crewmember's individual turn. On several Item Cards there is a limitation that goes "Limit once per turn" - for example the Laser Sword. Can the Laser Sword only be used once on a crewmember's turn (and once again on their next turn if they have 2 or more Action Dice)? Or only once per Game Turn?
This is exactly the problem that I have with the rules/card text - it's almost as though the game wasn't blind play-tested at all. We played that once the sword is activated by paying energy it is active for the whole turn and can be used in any melee attacks/defences that occur that turn. So it's not limited to one use a turn, it's only necessary to activate it once a turn. But I'm only speculating here.

Quote:
6, Skill Cards:
Are there any timing or unstated location restrictions on Skill Cards? For example, Jaylen Moon's "Clear a Path" states that you can move two Aliens back 1 zone - can this be done after an Alien Troop card has been drawn and you've seen whether or not the relevant sector is activated for attack? (Similar situation with X-14's "Calculated Shot") Or, X-14's "Repairs" that state you can "make an Engineering Action on the ship without needing to spend an Action Dice" - do you have to be situated in the ship yourself? Can this be done on another crewmember's turn?
The rule for skill cards is that they work whenever it's appropriate by context that they do so. So I'm playing that anyone can play a card anytime - as long as the "context" is right. So for Clear a Path I just use it whenever I feel the need (but thematically it makes sense to push them out of the way of the character that is moving and has the card, but no such constraint is given by the card/rules). For the Repairs, you would need the right context, which is that X-14 is in the ship (it's like the Engineer's Sonic Driver, you have to be next to the debris to pick it up for "free").

Quote:
7, X-14:
How does X-14's power to recharge items using health work? When can it do so? Is it an action?
Any time you want to trade health for a recharge you can do so, no "action" is implied. This seems reasonable as the price you pay can be quite significant. Of course it doesn't say whether it's 1 health per recharge, or 1 health per unit of recharge either. But it makes sense that it's one health for a full recharge.

Quote:
8, Jake Comet:
Jake Comet may re-roll his Action Dice. In addition, his ability states "If Alien Icons are rolled they are treated as Attack Icons". Is this ability restricted to the re-rolls? If Jake Comet chooses an Alien Action Die during the "Action Dice Selection", can he use this die as an Attack Die, or will he have to re-roll it (and after the re-roll be able to use any potential Alien Action Dice as Attack Dice)?
If it was intended that Jake be able to use Alien dice as attack dice it should have said that as the first clause of his skill description. But it's all so badly written that I don't know whether that's the intent. I read it as limited only to the re-rolled dice. So if you took an Alien die from the pool you would re-roll it and if it came up Alien again you could use it for attack - it's kind of a Captain-y thing to do: you take the useless die so that the team can be effective and then you use your inventiveness to find a way around the problem - it's why you're the Captain not anybody else.

Quote:
9, Allie Blade:
Does Allie Blade's ability to not add Alien Tokens apply to (1) all Alien Dice rolled and re-rolled, (2) only Alien Dice rolled on the first roll, or (3) only on re-rolls that end up Alien Dice?
Take it at face value: you don't add Alien Tokens when you roll an Alien and you can re-roll Aliens that come up on the first re-roll, whereas for other characters these would be locked (but not the second re-roll - no dice can be re-rolled after the second)

Quote:
10, Reload/ Recharge:
Does the Weapon or rechargeable Item targeted for reloading/ recharging have to be one owned and held by the crewmember performing the action? Can another crewmember's Weapons or Items be targeted and reloaded/ recharged?
The card will tell you if you can reload somebody else's item. There are some that do allow remote recharging - such as the Engineer's "Energy Boost" skill card that allows somebody in the same Sector to recharge by 2. Again, it's all about the context.

Quote:
11, Taking "free actions":
Just to make sure, the free action that, for instance, the Energy Transmitter allows a crewmember to perform while in the ship, does it have to accompanied by an Action Die? Can this free action be taken if all Action Dice have been used up - or is a "turn" defined by having an Action Die to spend (or not spend in the case of Alien Dice)?
You can't do anything if you don't have a die. "Free" actions just mean that when you take your turn you don't spend the Action die to perform the action - you get two actions for one die. Or at least that's how I play it.

Quote:
12, Turret Cannon:
The Turret Cannon states: "Player in Ship Space 1 may use..." What is Ship Space 1? Also, it states that "Each Die hits on a 3 or more" - but how many wounds does a hit inflict?
Ships space 1 is that big hex that represents the ship: it has a "1" in it. Of course no other space is referred to as "ship space X", so it's a little confusing. This rule book could have done with some serious review of its terminology and key phrases! Each "hit" by any weapon does one point of damage unless otherwise stated (such as on the Laser Rifle)

Quote:
Phew, that's it for the first play-through. Might have more questions after playing the game more times and encountering new situations. I know that you're compiling questions and answers for a FAQ, so I didn't hold back, inventing my own house-rules for rather minor disputes or point of confusion. I hope that's ok. I apologize if I've asked questions that I simply missed in the rule-book or set-up guide.
I didn't spot anything that was covered in the rules, it all sounded like the same sorts of questions that I hit on my first three plays. In many ways it reminds me of the rules for my favourite game in that you take the cards and rules at face value and don't try to overthink them, with context being an important guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Williams
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Bring back he debris and discard it. use the correct salvage board

2. I wait until the shield draw pile is empty then reshuffle the tiles.

3. Yes the crystal is destroyed. Roll for damage for each character in zone 0,1

4. Yes tunneler attack as soon as you place it on the board. pg 5 rule book.

5.The way I read the sword If you have example 3 attack action die. In your hand you have the sword and a laser pistol a weapon in both hands. You use your first action die for a melee attack, you get to attack with the pistol and the sword you spend 2 energy on the pistol for a melee attack and 1 energy for the sword. You roll 3 attack die and get to add +1 to all 3 die, because of the swords ability all melee attacks. on you next attack die use again. Page 15 rule book.

6.I don't see anything on the timing of a card I don't think you can interrupt a step since you already draw the alien card you must complete the alien card first. I do see the to use X14 to repair ship you must be on the ship. Clear path has a star on it. So played on your turn only

7 charge icon on the die

8 reroll only

9 anytime you roll a alien icon

10. your items only can be charged unless an ablity card says other wise

11.Free action why need a action die?

12. space 1 is ship 1 wound per die

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.