22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I love Combos!!! Any recommendations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
One of the things I enjoy more when playing games are: Combos. Those combinations of cards or tiles (or card and tiles) that allow you to perform a sequence of actions in one turn. I just love it!!! It feels so good when it works!!! It's great!!!

Dominion would be a good example, and Castles of Burgundy would be an even better example... but the truth is that I don’t know that many board/card games. I’m quite new here, so I would really appreciate if you could list me some good games where I could enjoy this Combo mechanic.

Thanks so much!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
See Engine-Building Game(s) or Give Us Combos! for starters.

(Innovation, Uchronia, Impulse, Race for the Galaxy, some later mix of Ascension, for example Ascension: Realms Unraveled)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome and Agricola spring to mind for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Isn't playing combos pretty much the point of most, if not all, deck-builders?

My favorites:
Legendary
Paperback

Other popular ones (but I have not played them, yet):
Star Realms
Arctic Scavengers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation and Cosmic Encounter are two excellent games filled with combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
London (first edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Wiz-War is all about combos!

Oh, you thought you were going to steal my treasure, did you? Sorry, but my flaming fist is going to stretchy arm around this corner and punch you in the face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I tend to avoid any of the combos varieties that are pretzels.. They are just kind of Bleh.

These are my favorite if you haven't tried them you should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Dunkley
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons has many cool card combos, its firmly in my top 10 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmelo Scozzola
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:

Other popular ones (but I have not played them, yet):
Star Realms
Arctic Scavengers

I have just played the free PC version of Star Realms (see http://starrealms.com/star-realms-digital-app/) half a dozen times and it does seem that combos are the way to win the game. However, when you get a few, the game is practically over from there. So, I'm not yet sure what I think about that. The Scrap mechanism is quite a nice feature, it gives a bit to think about and allows quick change of strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao (by the designer of Castles Of Burgundy) has lots of "get a free X every time you do Y" cards for constructing great combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
Innovation and Cosmic Encounter are two excellent games filled with combos.
I don't all that much combo fun with innovation, certainly much more prevalent in Glory to Rome, both excellent games though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hedges
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria, UNITED KINGDOM
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nightfall has my favourite combo system. It's quite easy to combo the cards, but if you do it well you get bonuses (kickers). Fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Macao
I also like Pizzeria Pretzel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Asante each turn consists of up to 5 actions. One of the big reasons I love this game is the combos one can set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
+1 for Legendary and Seasons.

+1, also, for Pizzeria Pretzel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great suggestions already. I'll just add my own favorite combo-driven games, repeating some already mentioned:

Innovation: massive combo potential in this civilization-building card game. Unlike many card games, you play cards into a permanent tableau, and can then use that card's action as many times as you like until it gets covered up or removed from play.

Race for the Galaxy: another tableau-building card game, this one optimized for quick play (it does say "race" in the title). It's possible to build some impressive combos in this game, but will you get your engine running before the game ends?

Bruges: a Stefan Feld game that is has deceptive combo potential. I say "deceptive" because, in my experience, you rarely get the cards you need to build the combo engine you wanted to build. But if you do get them, you can go far.

Lewis & Clark: it's like Dominion writ small. The goal is to be the first to cross the finish line by creating a small, specialized deck of cards (think 6-8 cards) that combo well off of each other.

Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy: lots of combo potential in the Friend cards, especially the ones that reward you based on the nationality or occupation of your other Friends.

Mage Knight Board Game: it looks like a fantasy adventure game, but it's driven entirely by a hand management/card combo system that is one of the most flexible and fascinating of any game I've played.

Seasons: this is a card-drafting game at heart, and very minimalistic, with each player only getting 9 cards to play for the entire game (although you can easily up that number by playing specific cards or powers). Drafting the cards that combo well together is the name of the game.

The Agents: a combo game about secret agents.

And almost anything published by Small Box Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Steinberg
United States
North Miami Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm right there with you. Combos, engine/tableau builder games are one of my top favorite types, if not my all time favorite. I have not played all of these, but all of these have the combo/progression type of feel to them.

Race for the Galaxy
Homesteaders
Village
Glen More
Seasons
Macao
Splendor
The Builders: Middle Ages
Innovation
Kingsburg
Kingsport Festival
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Endeavor
Stronghold
Goa
Suburbia
Subdivision
Glass Road
Bruges
Hansa Teutonica
Lewis & Clark
Imperial Settlers
Glory to Rome
Tournay
Last Will
51st State
The New Era
Progress: Evolution of Technology
Kemet(it's a bit of a stretch but the powers you buy can combo together)
Hyperborea
Allegiance: A Realm Divided

-Any deck builder really= Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, DC Comics Deck-Building Game, Ascension: Deckbuilding Game, Star Realms
-Most tech tree games; Civilization Builders= Nations, Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

Now I know I missed a few, but that's a good chunk of the games that have the engine/combo mechanic or feel behind them. Of those listed I have played kingsburg, splendor, imperial settlers, Builders, suburbia, glen more.

Glen More: wasn't a huge fan of, due to the tile laying aspect having to activate specific tiles each time. You get resources to then sell of later on throu other tiles. All adjacent tiles to the newest one played get activated.

Splendor: Really loving this game. Uses poker chips to purchase cards which have points/gem on them. These cards then build up in your collection to make purchase of further cards cheaper.

Kingsburg: using dice to help get resources and points to build up your town on your player board. Expansion is a must.

Imperial Settlers: a streamlined version of 51st state and New Era, in which you play as one of 4 factions: Barbarians, Romans, Japanese, Egyptians. Build up your empire to gain points and destroy other buildings.

Suburbia: another tile game, didn't like it due to the auctioning and tile aspect. It was more enjoyable than glen more though since all tiles help out at different times in the game vs. only when you play a nearby tile. Subdivision is the sequel to this.

The Builders: Middle Ages: small card style game in which you purchase buildings and workers to create those buildings. Buildings when completed give more gold for use and points. You may use gold to get extra actions. This is key to the game.

Hope this helps you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to some of the stuff others have mentioned, I'd recommend Puzzle Strike (Third Edition), Yomi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
51st state is currently available for the ridiculous sum of $15 from the BGG store. Great engine builder, although the rules suffer a little from being created by non-native English speakers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.