United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
There should be more local boardgaming cons, but the challenge of putting everything together is too high a barrier for many would-be con directors.

What if we (those who run small cons already) assembled a wiki with step by step instructions, advice, materials, and resources a newcomer could start from? Many of us would probably also get some good ideas from our peers as we assemble it. A Wiki might be the right model.

I'm willing to start with publishing the Congress of Gamers model if I get at least two collaborating directors of other cons.

PS
I've started a blog on BGG as the best way to outline the kind of things that could be shared. It's just a start, but I'll keep editing a bit each week until it includes what little I know. I'll add any comments posted.

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/34647/so-you-want-run-con#...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Con in a kit? I'd like to help create a mini-con package any aspiring con town could copy and edit
No response to my idea and offer, so looks like it's not the right idea or not the right time. I may still do something on my own. Probably just allow downloads of all source documents and creation of a checklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Con in a kit? I'd like to help create a mini-con package any aspiring con town could copy and edit
For what it's worth, I think this would be a great resource to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawkins
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great idea. Given that con directors are a small percentage of BGG, and many might not be reading this forum, you might want to send out some geekmails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right. Seems obvious, now that you mention it. I'll just geekmail the authors of all the con announcements here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Londave .
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I organized some Cons about 20 years ago *sigh*

Looking to run a one day event for charity in April and would love something like what you are suggesting.

Particularly how to run pre-reg -- both locking in GMs and booking players. I'm thinking there may be software or websites that could do much of the heavy lifting for free that did not exist 20 years ago.

Anyway, would be willing to help and/or receive some help.

Cheers,

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added some new sections to the manual for aspiring con directors.

Feedback and contributions are encouraged. It's still more of an outline than the manual I'd like it to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I added a couple more sections and did a few edits. With my Winter Game Fest con just concluded, I'll start reaching out to other con directors for their ideas and advice.

Eric Engelmann wrote:
I've added some new sections to the manual for aspiring con directors.

Feedback and contributions are encouraged. It's still more of an outline than the manual I'd like it to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea Eric, thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.