Subject: Paying it forward... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got an e-mail from a friend of mine who owns a drug store. He sells games at his store and actually has a decent selection for a drug store.

He had left a number of games in his window for too long and they were sun bleached. He decided rather than to try and sell them at a discount to give them away to his customers that he knew would appreciate them. He sends me an e-mail with a photo of the six games he has up for grabs asking which one I wanted! Score!

Settlers of America was taken (which I don't have) so I decided to scoop up a copy of Agricola, one of my favourite games. I excitedly headed to the store after work to pick up the game, my head spinning with what I would do with another copy and what new game I may be able to trade for it.

I got to the store and started talking with him. He said that he doesn't make a lot of money off games and it's more to build the hobby in our community. He then says if our club was going to do a themed game night or something like that, he'd donate a game as a prize to generate interest in gaming.

This is simply amazing and I felt a little guilty accepting the game for my own uses...so I've decided to pay it forward.

I have a friend that partly due to family reasons and partly for money concerns doesn't own any games nor can he get out to game as much as he would like. He ends up doing a lot of iOS gaming because it's affordable to him and he can manage to get the time in to actually get a game in. Agricola is one of his favourite games and I am going down to his house to surprise him with this copy that I was fortunate to receive.

I challenge you to do the same. Build the hobby in whatever way you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I build the hobby by renting my entire game library to others for free in 5-6 hour increments once a week, with the stipulation that none of them can actually leaves my house.

Pete (tries to paint his regular game night in an altruistic fashion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Withthose sunbleached games, that might be good to do what Pete does. Useit to get other gamers converted ☺

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's his e-mail to me. Sure makes it feel worthwhile:

I've opened it up and showed the girls. Looks like it has all three decks (not 100% about E, but it has three bundles of cards and two of them read I and K). Plus, it has animeeples! Also comes with some bags for the cutout pieces - sweet!

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kohlhatter wrote:
Here's his e-mail to me. Sure makes it feel worthwhile:

I've opened it up and showed the girls. Looks like it has all three decks (not 100% about E, but it has three bundles of cards and two of them read I and K). Plus, it has animeeples! Also comes with some bags for the cutout pieces - sweet!

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

This is awesome. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a really great move. Board games are such fun but I can see how it could be a pricey hobby to get into. Adding a strong title to your friend like that is a great booster shot towards them getting into the hobby more I bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
very kind of you, yep we need to grow our ranks - spreading the love is the best way. I payed it forward with a contest to get anything you wanted from GenCon ( 2nd year for me doing this ) ( if your not actually going to GC )- I already shipped a great game out, last year was just promo cards from the dealer hall.

Game On'

oh yea,

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/176339/so-you-dont-get-go-...

is the link to the Pay it forward geeklist I had.

It was Called Pay it forward ( the winner was asked to pay it forward sometime int he future )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
I had a massive windfall towards the end of last year when I got Space Hulk (with both expansions), Blood Bowl (Second Edition), Advanced Heroquest, Advanced Space Crusade and Space Crusade for £15 through the local free ads.

A few weeks later I was home visiting family and dropped into a gaming centre that an old friend had recently opened in the local area. I got chatting to a lovely older guy (turns out had been the guy who'd got my mate into gaming about 20 years previously) and during the conversation he happened to mention his regret at selling his copy of Space Crusade in the 1990's (he'd lost his job and needed to pay the rent) as he'd love to introduce his son to it. As soon as I got back to my place I checked the copy of Space Crusade I'd recently picked up (I have my own complete copy) and found that I was able to make a nearly complete set with the spares I'd picked up over time; all that was missing was a few minis. Knowing this wouldn't be a problem to a minis gamer I packed it up, posted it to the gaming centre and explained to my mate who it was for. It arrived in time for Christmas.

My wife is an events co-ordinator for a local charity working with children with ASD and Asperger's syndrome, one of the things we're considering is trying to get regular gaming evenings running for the older children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.