Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: Simple Mancala game for educational purposes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Zheng
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm teaching a class on abstract games to 12-18 year olds. I will separate the class into two teams, and the teams will play against each other.

I would like to know which Mancala variant would be the most suitable for educational purposes, with simple rules, fewer game pieces, and quick gameplay. I will be using Google Slides to implement the game board, so I have to drag-and-drop all the game pieces.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say Kalah would be a good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
snarles wrote:
I'm teaching a class on abstract games to 12-18 year olds. I will separate the class into two teams, and the teams will play against each other.

I would like to know which Mancala variant would be the most suitable for educational purposes, with simple rules, fewer game pieces, and quick gameplay. I will be using Google Slides to implement the game board, so I have to drag-and-drop all the game pieces.

Thanks!

How about MiniMancala?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cups seems simple enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Luna
Spain
Rubí
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
reyalicea wrote:
Cups seems simple enough.

This is exactly what I was about to propose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:
I´d say Kalah would be a good choice.

+1

My 5 year old daughter and I constantly play Kalah. She calls it stones. I've just recently noticed we've been playing a rule wrong for the past year. We haven't been putting the capturing stone into the pot with the captured pieces. Doh! Great game for children, they especially like getting an extra turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Mac
Canada
Valley
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done Oware with my grade eight Math classes. Went great! I brought in an actual Oware board, from Ivory Coast, with the seed pods. We put an app on the main screen to show examples.

Then I handed them a photocopy divided up to look like an Oware board (even I could make that! ), and we used multi-link cubes as the pieces. Oware is also nice because although it is competitive, you are required to seed your opponent if they are in need. It opens up a discussion about how society can shape games, making them truly 'traditional' in every sense.

We did something similar in the year with Lines of Action (I made them show their proposed move to their partner ahead of time to verify) and Tablut.

The one that worked the best was Hex. I believe someone on the geek put four playing boards on a sheet to photocopy (check the files there), and you can print and go.

Let us know how this goes! I would love to hear your selections (as well as greedily learn from your experiences )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Zheng
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
christianF wrote:
How about MiniMancala?

Cool, I think I will use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.