Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm not sure if this discussion has already been had but I did not see anything on this specific project so I'll send up the balloon..

What is Mantic's record on devilry for KS?

When all is settled the "complete" package including add-ons is probably going to run somewhere in $400-$500 range.

I have no problem with value/price proposition but there have been so many horror stories for large $$ KS games (especially those with lots of minis) that I figured I'd ask for the community's experience/thoughts on this one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty good for KS. Deadzone shipped in waves, so a large chunk on time with the second wave slightly delayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
I backed Kings of War and Deadzone; a friend backed Dreadball.

They have a good track record. The first wave was timely for all three (kings of war was a month *early*, which is all but unheard of in KS projects...), the quality was good and improved with each project (i.e., Deadzone was nicer than Dreadball which was nicer than Kings of War, in terms of minis quality). I really like Jake's games, but of course, YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
For more details from me and others, see also:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16726526#16726526

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mars Attacks was scheduled for August 2014, and some GenCon attendees were able to pick it up, with the balance already on a slow boat from China.

It looks like they'll make a ship date of September 2014.

Given the nature of the business, it would seem that slippage of a month is easily forgiven, especially when it's a miniatures heavy project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
Mars Attacks was scheduled for August 2014, and some GenCon attendees were able to pick it up, with the balance already on a slow boat from China.

It looks like they'll make a ship date of September 2014.

Given the nature of the business, it would seem that slippage of a month is easily forgiven, especially when it's a miniatures heavy project.

After about 14 months of backing KS games, I consider on time a rare miracle and slippage of a month or 2 very acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent IMO. I backed (and sold cause I determine they werent the right game for me) Dreadball and Deadzone and they were both relatively on time and well managed projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The majority of Deadzone was fairly prompt but I did receive the last pieces of the KS just last week which would make those pieces 9 months late. This is the new dilemma of too many stretch goals. You continue to get product long after you have lost interest in the particular item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear Mantic are good at sticking to schedules.

On a slightly different note, I have been floored by the Designers and Dragons KS. Of the four books to be released, the first is already available as a PDF, ePub, and mobi. The second and third are available as PDFs, and the fourth should be coming this week. The KS isn't even finished yet! Fascinating books if you want to know more about the history of the RPG market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadzone was scheduled to ship in December 2013. It got split into two shipments. The first one arrived in January 2014 with enough to play the game if your copy was actually complete. Ours wasn't and my understanding is that the missing pieces will come with the second shipment. This seem to be a common enough occurrence that it warranted some public commentary from Mantic with guidelines for detailing your missing pieces. The second shipment has been pushed back from spring of 2014 to maybe next month. A third shipment has recently been split off from that one with a hopeful ship date of October.

For this kickstarter, I'm taking the fact that they have not yet written the rules and many of the miniatures are in the concept drawing phase to be bad signs for timely delivery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trebormills wrote:

I take your WHQ avatar to be a sign your not a fan of DS whistleninja

Its actually a heroquest avatar and I've had it set to this for almost a decade, far longer than Mantic has been around.

For the purposes of this thread, I was just adding my experience and opinion of Mantic's ability and dedication to delivering to kickstarter backers.

I hope they put out a good game. I'm looking forward to it and I would like to get a hold of God of Battles too. The fact is, I'm still waiting to play Deadzone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Living the Dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you missing from Deadzone that makes it unplayable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Jerry, I didn't say it was unplayable. What would you consider an unplayable game? Define that an I would be happy to address it.

It won't effect my experience of Mantic's ability and dedication to delivering to kickstarter backers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
Well, Jerry, I didn't say it was unplayable. What would you consider an unplayable game? Define that an I would be happy to address it.

timlillig wrote:
The first one arrived in January 2014 with enough to play the game if your copy was actually complete. Ours wasn't and my understanding is that the missing pieces will come with the second shipment.

Like Jerry, I took that to mean that yours wasn't complete enough to play the game, and that Mantic was making you wait until the second shipment to have enough to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Living the Dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:

It won't effect my experience of Mantic's ability and dedication to delivering to kickstarter backers.

You said:
timlillig wrote:
The first one arrived in January 2014 with enough to play the game if your copy was actually complete. Ours wasn't and my understanding is that the missing pieces will come with the second shipment.

and
timlillig wrote:
The fact is, I'm still waiting to play Deadzone.

That sounds like yours wasn't complete enough to play, and I was asking how, since I wasn't aware of any issues with the first shipment that made something unplayable.

Mantic makes a lot of mistakes, I think primarily due to a relatively new, small company having large kickstarter success, but there are some process issues in there as well. In their defense, I always get the impression that they are trying.

Their recent games, such as Dreadball and Deadzone, are excellent (and fun!) rulesets that suffer a little due to faction balancing issues. That said, the designer has been active in the communities with tweaking factions to address this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'm sorry, Tim, your copy was missing so much as to make it not playable! I hope that was just an outlier.

My two cents on Deadzone: the first shipment felt a bit amateurish because I got a nice box with a ton of small plastic baggies thrown in with no labeling or instructions. A few baggies had split and their tiny contents were strewn about in the game box. I'm a minis geek, but it still took me forever to figure out what was what. But there was certainly a playable game in there. Just took a bit to find and organize it!

The second shipment came a week or two ago and it was much more professional. It's clear they're listening and learning: everything was neatly baggied, well-packed and labeled and a packing list was included (well, one or two baggies weren't labeled, but it was easy to figure them out).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
PS and the plague zombie models are RIDICULOUSLY cool. I got 25 of them. I have no idea why, as I won't likely ever play solo with them, but still...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.